The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Best realistic thumb tip (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2008-04-24 23:01, RicHeka wrote:
I am NOT cheap or frugal. However, I am proud to say...for a bill switch performed dozens of times a week...I have been using the same hard Vernet tip for at least 8 years. It is split at the bottom and quite shiny from use, but it doesn't matter...because it does the job...and it is never "actually" seen....except by me, of course.

Rich

Well...it's now over 9 years this TT has served me well.The only one who knows it exists is ...moi.

I guess it is like an old broken in baseball glove with me.I do have a couple of others still in their wrappers just in case...but as for my 'baby' and me...we are doin' just fine.

Happy trails.
Rich

Click here to view attached image.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8959 Posts

Profile of funsway
Unless I missed it , one idea 'missed' is effects where you want the tip to be seen, and therefore skin match is critical. 'Fake-Hands" are available to free up your natural one for 'dirty work'. A TT can serve the same function. For example, you can grasp a basket near the handle with your fingers on the inside and your thumb visible around the handle -- but it is TT and you natural thumb is busy stealing stuff or holding your next load for an asynchronous production. I used to do an effect with napkin rings where the thumb seen holding the ring on the inside "ain't so"

guess maybe I should produce a ShareBook on such things.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Vernet Soft. I understand the thought of you should be able to use a bright red tip but I do a silk in bill routine that lets you show the tip straight on. Very deceptive. So in some instances you do need a realistic looking one.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1418 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
You pretty much quoted the last line of the copy for this product.
So I have to ask WHY? What makes this DVD so good?

Quote:
On 2009-05-01 20:23, Bendy wrote:

True. The "Examining The TT" DVD by Alexander de Cova is a great resource and a great springboard for thinking up new and/or unique ways to utilize this wonderful apparatus. Watch that DVD and you'll never look at a TT the same way again.
Kevini
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Kevini
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2008, AntonDreaming wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-04-24 23:24, lylemagic wrote:
This is a funny thread, I think. Who cares what it looks like? NOBODY EVER SEES IT, and if they do, then you're doing it wrong.

I use the Vernet Hard XL...but here's the thing...to prove a point to another Magician, I painted it GREEN!!!!!! Yep...GREEN...even more green than the Café Green. It's the ugliest thing you've ever seen...except YOU NEVER SEE IT!!!

A good TT performer can do whatever he wants and the tip is never seen by the audience. So when I do my TT stuff, I have a green thumb...but nobody ever sees it, and I've never once been busted!

Work on your handling and you'll be fine. I think it's silly to waste money on one of those TTs that have finger prints and a shiny nail.

I think the funniest thing of all about the thread is that Lyle HAS NO IDEA WHAT I'M USING THE TIP FOR, and yet he's telling me to work on my TT handling! Bottom line, I asked about realistic tips for a reason.

A lot of magicians talk about using a 3 dollar thumb tip and how "if you use it right, no one will see it" and pride themselves on their boldness for use of the prop. The point is some of the newer thumb tips are better looking, and there is no reason to hold onto the old ideas unless they work better for you for some reason or you do not find it necessary for the kind of TT work YOU do.

It doesn't have a thing to do with my handling. What it does have to do with is the trick I will be working is one where people look within 6-12 inches of my hand and the tip is highly exposed.

I don't want a $25 thumb tip to fool the 99% of the people that its going to fly right by. I want the $25 thumb tip to fool the 1% of the people who may be more observant and who may potentially point it out to others. People talk about owning their tips for years, and I'm not different. I'm fine spending 25 bucks on a prop that will last me 3-5 years. That works out to about 5 dollars a year. Pretty fair price to have a little added security if you ask me.

Thanks for the input and the time for everyone's responses, but I'm already well versed on the TT.

ATG

P.S. As far as using a green thumb tip, isn't it a little foolish to give yourself a handy cap during your performances? I'm sure you'll roll out a bunch of reasons about it being a challenge, or you think it's funny or something like that, but I know few full time working professionals that find time to take unneeded risks in their work. Also, some of the old masters have proven the point you made to your friend by the exact same means, but I'm sure you knew that. Smile

Well said, AntonDreaming. Well said.
By the way. What tip did you end up getting? I too would like the best TT available.

Kevini
Kevini
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Kevini
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2008, SeanScottMagic wrote:
Ok, if I hear one more TT expert story I'm going to puke in a green TT. Been in magic almost 20 years and I have read too many posts by magicians twirling their green six shooter TT or stories from magicians about other magicians doing the same. I think we get the idea. It's amusing to us, but let's try to advance the art a minute instead of pistol whipping. If your going to do that I think you should have to show it to your lay audience at the end and convince them you used it. If you have time to paint a tip green, you probably have time to paint it the correct flesh color for your hand. Why? Maybe because some people know what it is. Maybe because people behind you may see it from across the room. Maybe because tv specials are making it more known and will continue to. Think about the fact many of these stories still exist more or less to serve as great monuments of our self-proclaimed, finger-flinging greatness. Keep in mind some of these glorious examples involved a magician using a green TT in front of a group of other conditioned magicians. They would be easier to fool than lay people. This reminds me of the quote Bruce Lee would make, "Board not hit back". Translation - the green TT is up there with picking your nose. You think your smooth, but only until someone hands you a handkerchief. I'll use the flesh color TT, thanks.

These stories could become our version of "The Aristocrats"!

Thanks,
Sean

A well-deserved spanking of the prideful, Sean.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1813 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Do like Vernon, Chrome plate your tip and learn to hide it.
Bally Hoo and Hullabaloo
one for me and none for you.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1714 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Classic Vernet & XL Vernet served me well in the Corporate market for 20 yrs..put it on forget about it..act natural
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Best realistic thumb tip (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL