The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mac or PC (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
pokerplayer269
View Profile
New user
Needham, MA
30 Posts

Profile of pokerplayer269
Which do you prefer? Please don't be a wise-guy and say "Well PC stands for personal computer so a Mac is a PC." Personally, I'm a PC guy. They cost less, you can build one yourself, you can emulate Mac OS without any additional software (to play all your cool old school Mac games like Pathways Into Darkness and Marathon, and you can take them apart/upgrade them yourself.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I like both. I use a PC for the internet but there's a Mac in the magic room. It needs major overhaul before it can be seriously useful, but at the moment it's fun to play with.

I used to use a Mac at my old job *sob* where we would develop graphics and type for promotional items.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Mac all the way baby! An iMac serves as my media hub and a MacBook is my workhorse machine. Switched back to Mac about 3 years ago and don't ever plan to return to Windows world.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Didn't we just do this topic a few weeks ago. zzzzz......
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
If you have to ask, you don't own a Mac.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I like PC because he always seems to be the underdog. ...And besides, Mac reminds me a lot of Keanu Reeves and I don't really care for Keanu's acting... Although he's pretty good in the movie "Street Kings" which just came out.

Lyndel
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
I view all three platforms for what they are. I am posting from a Debian box at this particular moment. PCs are cheaper and offer a great deal more flexibility, and have a much wider software base, particularly in the gaming genre. Macs are a little more production oriented and tend to be simpler. Macs are more expensive. Most good manipulation software comes from Apple, and most of it can be run on any platform.

Everything does not "just sorta work" on a Mac, and unlike a PC if it doesn't work initially, it never ever will. Those commercials make me want to go out an buy another 2 or 3 PCs. Macs are far less updatable. Macs are somewhat less prone to viral and trojan attack.......for now. That is due in large part to their lesser popularity. As Mac popularity increases you can certainly expect that to change, however due to their design they will be somewhat easier to defend against them, just like any other Linux system, and yes, Macs use Linux.

If you don't know anything about computers and don't want to, and are rich, get a Mac. If you don't mind getting your hands a little dirty, have good habits, and/or want to play cutting edge games while saving a dime, get a PC. If you want to best of both worlds and are willing to learn while saving a lot more than a dime, get a PC and load Ubuntu.

Anyone who says anything different than what I just said is just waving the flag for their home team. That was objective.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
PC (John Hodgman) is in the new "Baby Mama" movie, playing Tina Fey's gynecologist. I've always thought he was much funnier than Mac, and besides his book "The Areas of My Expertise" is very cool.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2008-04-25 10:06, JackScratch wrote:
Macs are somewhat less prone to viral and trojan attack.......for now. That is due in large part to their lesser popularity.

Are you sure about that???

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/n......tes-flat

What amazes me is they used an exploit that had been known about for over a year, but Apple just never bothered to fix it ... and that there are even more of them they haven't fixed!

http://www.hydrapinion.com/index.php/mac......rability

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
PC!
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
One nice thing about PCs and Macs is that you really don't have to decide anymore. You can run Windows on a Mac. As a matter of fact, if you want a computer that will run Vista properly, and faster than any other PC set-up, Popular Mechanics says you'll want to get a Mac.

Concerning the "hacking" contest, the first day, access was allowed only via network, and no computer was hacked. It was only on the second day, when they were allowed direct access to the computer themselves with the computers already logged in (gee, there's a tough challenge), that the exploit was made possible. What they cracked was Safari (the browser), and not the Operating System itself. Safari has since been updated.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
I have a PC at home and a Mac at work. My work Mac gets replaced (upgraded) every 2-3 years or so, and except for the one I currently use, I've had problems (freezing up, crashing) with every single one. The one I have now (I don't know the model, but the computer is smaller than a box of cigars, and that includes the DVD drive) has been nothing but great.

My current home PC is a high-end HP workhorse for small businesses. Most of the problems I've had with it pertain to the operating system (Windows SX). The only problem I've had with the computer itself has to do with the cooling fan--it sometimes runs incessantly. Apparently that was/is a problem with this particular model.

All that said, there's little or no difference between these computers vis-a-vis ease of operation.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
We had six Macintoshes at my old job. One guy had his crash on a regular basis. We never did find out why. Nobody else had any trouble at all.

I miss my Mac, I miss my old job. I miss ANY of my old jobs that didn't require going to Wal*Mart and standing around for eight hours. (Well, maybe not "Nathan's," but you get the idea!)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I come from a science background and so I cut my teeth on a PC. Never really looked at a Mac because they just didn't run the engineering type of programs I was using at the time (think 1985). I put a PC in our home and we've been in a PC world ever since. My daughter went to college and learned everything on a Mac. My wife uses a Mac at work and has for the past 15 years or so. My daughter, who works in both worlds is partial to Macs, but has no real reason for stating the preference. My wife who works in both worlds has learned to hate Macs because they have been nothing but trouble for them at work. However, that's likely due to the fact that the administration is clueless about computers. They keep upgrading various Macs around the workplace, but continue to run their entire network on Novell (email, everything). As for me, I would like to look at a Mac, they will run my software now, but besides the cost of the computer, it would cost me another 3 or 4 thousand dollars to migrate my software. That isn't happening anytime soon. And besides, you can't miss what you've never had.

From what I can tell from reading, there really aren't any advantages between the two any more. I've been on Windows since 3.12 and the Internet since 1989 and I've never had a virus attack my machine or my network at home (it is very secure). I've been running XP on all machines except for my latest 2 and they are running Vista and I've had no problems at all. Very stable systems. But then, all the machines are used for doing business related tasks or playing an occasional game or DVD or CD. Nothing extreme; so they don't seem to be a problem. However, there is that darn print server in the other room....
Coram Deo
topandball
View Profile
Regular user
New England
132 Posts

Profile of topandball
Started on MS-DOS
Then Windows 2.0
Then Windows 3.1 / Red Hat Linux on separate partitions
Then Win95 / Linux
*here is a long period of being broke and using my girlfriend's iMac*
Now MacBook Pro running OSX and never looked back.
Except I looked back just now to write the post. You know what I meant.
"Gamblin' Sam from Birmingham, I learned this game in Vietnam"
R.I.P. Haynes, the ORIGINAL "Gamblin' Sam"
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
I love everything about my Mac. I've been using the same Powerbook G4 Titanium for over seven years without so much as a glitch; can't say the same about my PC experience prior to that.
I just wish that Macs could run CNC routers, but, hey there's always Linux.
POOF!
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast
Hammer or screwdriver: Which do you prefer?

The OS is just a tool - which one you select depends on what you are trying to accomplish at the moment. One is not inherently superior to the other, you just need to make sure you remember the quirks of each one and work appropriately. Sorta like having a wife, mistress, and girlfriend.

With virtualization, the underlying OS is becoming largely irrelevant. At the moment I run OSX, Windows XP, and Linux, all on the same machine. OSX is the host OS and the others run in virtual machines as necessary.

Oh, and anyone who posts anything else is switch hitting for the opposite team. Or something like that.
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2008-04-25 10:06, JackScratch wrote:
Anyone who says anything different than what I just said is just waving the flag for their home team.

Yes, you're right. Sorry. Sometimes we get carried away...you know...talking about stuff.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
By reading the above posts, it seems clear that it's all about personality:

If you are content and easy going, get a Mac.

If you are insecure and jealous step down to a PC.

Blue backed Bicycles are best.

I miss my Amiga. But both platforms are getting closer.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I miss my Commodore VIC-20. Why did I ever sell that thing? I bet it's worth something like $100,000 on Ebay as a collector's item.

I sold it for $25.00.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mac or PC (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL