The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mac or PC (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:
On 2008-04-28 16:14, Josh Riel wrote:
There is indisputable evidence that PC's are best.

Ignore the fact that there are people who know what they are talking about, who still argue about this... therefore making it disputable... It's still indisputable.

No, I say PC's are best. If you disagree it is more a personality flaw on your part than factual problem on mine.

Anyone who says anything different than what I just said is just waving the flag for their home team. That was objective.

^ That was a great example of my contribution to the thread, It made a serious point in my own beautiful way.

You did not like it because I used your words to prove my point.... Sorry, momma always said "life ain't fair".

And I swear to god, if you even try to use the words "Ad Hominem" or "Straw man" I'll just end up offering more "Beautiful" posts.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:
On 2008-04-30 11:12, Vandy Grift wrote:
Once again Josh, just harassing and contributing nothing. If I were Jack, I'd quit the site in protest.

Actually I didn't enjoy that post of mine as much as most. Too long.

Brevity is the soul of wit, you know.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I don't know who is training and managing these moderators. Don't they know that once Jacks Cratch has issued his proclamation from on high the thread is to be immedietly locked? Discussion over baby.

You better get your head right Josh.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Josh, I swear you always seem to me to be just an Ad Hominem Straw Man. Every single time. Really.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I'm working on it Vany, I'm working on it.

But be careful, these kinds of posts get reported and deleted. I recall a thread where Whit Haydn was discussing with several others, the value of magical theory... And "someone" came and pointed out that everyone was right but him. Not only were that wrong, but stupid to boot. Needless to say, this was taken poorly. But the discussion continued despite the constant noise.

I pointed to a video of Whits, one that is commonly held to be a very good routine... And "Someone" said it was nothing an 11 year old couldn't do. Every post that was directed to that "Someone" was deleted....Except the posts by the "someone". That was one of the few things I have ever reported. If your going to delete posts by a reasonable intelligent man (Whit) the least you could do is delete the arrogant, insulting posts of the <Censored for the children> who posted the negative garbage that started the whole thing. Which they did, but we all lost some good information...

So, yeah, this thread is dumb. Let's get it deleted. PC's are best anyway.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2008-04-30 12:02, Josh Riel wrote:
But be careful, these kinds of posts get reported and deleted. I recall a thread where Whit Haydn was discussing with several others, the value of magical theory... And "someone" came and pointed out that everyone was right but him.

I pointed to a video of Whits, one that is commonly held to be a very good routine... And "Someone" said it was nothing an 11 year old couldn't do. Every post that was directed to that "Someone" was deleted....Except the posts by the "someone". That was one of the few things I have ever reported. If your going to delete posts by a reasonable intelligent man (Whit) the least you could do is delete the arrogant, insulting posts of the <Censored for the children> who posted the negative garbage that started the whole thing. Which they did, but we all lost some good information...

Why would we want someone like Whit Haydn contributing to this site when we could have "someone" else? I think Whit should be shouted down and chased off. It's in keeping with the apparent goals of the site.

Quote:
PC's are best anyway.

Duh! Like I said, discussion over baby.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Josh, you just don't get it. I have never, ever, ever reported anyone for being mean. I report them for breaking forum rules. Otherwise, you wouldn't ever know that I reported anyone for anything because the mods would have ignored me. I don't think people are stupid for disagreeing with me. I have a lot of respect for people who can make a clear logical point. It's a real shame you aren't one of those people. It's not the disagreement that makes a person stupid, it's an inability to express why they disagree in clear logical terms, yet an insistence that they are correct, despite that lack of ability.

This thread is about choosing a computer. Most of the replies are illogical flag waving.Any fool knows that if both sides didn't have something to offer, then they would most likely go out of business. I listed the various benefits and detractors of the various options. So far, I haven't seen very much of that in this thread, which is pretty specifically asking for just that.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I find I did not answer the question that the OP asked.

I prefer PC's (I feel a little dirty now seeing what kind of company I keep).

Specifically Windows XP. NOT VISTA. I use PC's and I know them. With the coming of Vista, I will consider a Mac for my next purchase. The thing that kept me from Mac's was the Interface, I didn't like it. I was used to PC's you know.

However with Vistas bizarre changes, seemingly for nothing more than being different, clearly I'm going to have to learn something new. Might as well be a Mac.
pokerplayer269
View Profile
New user
Needham, MA
30 Posts

Profile of pokerplayer269
For all you people who think Macs are so indestructable...

My older brother bought a MacBook this Christmas for college for about $1,700 I think. A few weeks ago, the keyboard and ports stopped working. He took it to Apple who fixed it. Then about four days ago my brother heard a scratching noise coming from his computer. He called Apple and they said it was normal. Turned out that his hard drive was being scratched. Shortly after it completely stopped working. He took it to Apple who could not retrieve any of the data which included all of his semester's work. Now, the only chance at saving the data is to send it to these specialized computer techs which will cost between $1,500 and $3,000 regardless of if they can retrieve the data.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Lately it seems when I go to Game Stop, or EB, or MicroCenter, all the games say they require Vista. I'm am very bothered by this. Computer gaming interests me, but I refuse to allow Microsoft to have this much control over what OS I use. I don't know if these games run on Mac or not. Wine is good, but still has a long way to go before it's "plug and play". I am currently running Ubuntu and using Wine to run my games in an attempt to squeeze a little more time out of an aging system I run my games on. The world of graphics is very unforgiving.

What your system needs to be capable of will depend entirely on what you actually use it for. I'm astounded by the number of CEOs out there who buy what are basically "gamer boxes" to run word processing on. Talk about a waste of money. If all I were doing were word processing/spread sheeting, I would assemble the cheapest functional computer I could lay my hands on.

Poker, what you are talking about are hardware failures. Any system from any company, running any OS is susceptible to them.My advice is to keep your data backed up on removable media. Save early, save often.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Anyone who is unbiased (As much as we can be) will tell you that Macs are better for some things. I think I would not be wrong in naming videos and picture related stuff. Artistic stuff as it were.

PC's are (for now) better at business stuff. I can tear a PC down and make it better, I don't know about Mac's.

But most people with Mac's love them. That's something.

Any piece of equipment will eventually come up with some problem.

As a side not, My company (I happen to be the IT Administrator cause they are cheap) is one of the ones that insist one buying the new gamer pc's.... on PC's that run Word and Excel... Now they just bought 4 PC's that are Vista, I hate Vista (Without my knowledge) and asked if I could make them work. Thank god I have smart friends.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Red backed Bicycles (except for Red Hot Momma).
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
The old company I _used_ to work at bought a half a dozen PCs to do basic database work with. My friend who actually worked on the computers (I was a typesetter, I used specialized equipment) brought in his Radio Shack CoCo 3 and showed how it (and about a third of the cost) could run what they needed done perfectly. They told him to take it home and stop being a bother.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
It has been my experience that people, in general, have no interest in the truth. Just the image.

Both Apple and Microsoft are banking on that. Macs are no better at running anything than a comparable PC. A comparable PC will cost less than a Mac. Most good graphics manipulation/media software is coming from apple these days (Quicktime and Adobe, two good examples). Apple products all come from Apple and are less likely to give you any difficulty out of the box, there are companies that provide PCs under similar conditions, at similar prices. You pay a price for not assembling your own computer. Microsoft will make your current OS obsolete in a few years if you run Windows. The PC game production community, and some of the business software production community will support Microsoft's abandonment of you 100%.

There is a saying in the computer underworld. "Macs are for two kinds of people. Idiots and Hackers."
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Drew is wrong about everything. (like a Windows PC)
I am right. (like a Mac)

Quote:
On 2008-05-03 11:02, JackScratch wrote:
A comparable PC will cost less than a Mac.

No such thing.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Quote:
On 2008-05-03 11:16, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
Drew is wrong about everything. (like a Windows PC)
I am right. (like a Mac)

Quote:
On 2008-05-03 11:02, JackScratch wrote:
A comparable PC will cost less than a Mac.

No such thing.

Yeah, after all, Mac is the only system you can get an Intel processor in.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I have nothing to contribute to this thread. But I thought I'd post anyway.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
You might as well, your post had as much to do with the topic as many of the others. And was less inflaming than some! Smile
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
I was once against Mac, but tried one out and thought what the heck. That was four years ago, and I now own two, and will never by a PC again. - My two cents.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I thought we weren't supposed to get into religious discussions?
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mac or PC (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL