The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bill Prohibiting Genetic Discrimination (GINA) Moves Forward (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Cribbed from http://www.slashdot.org

"The bill to ban genetic discrimination in employment or insurance coverage is moving forward. Is this the death knell of private insurance?

"I think private health insurance is pretty much incompatible with genetic testing (GT) for disease predisposition, if said testing turns out to be of any use whatsoever.

"The great strength of GT is that it will (as technology improves) take a lot of the uncertainty out of disease prediction. But that uncertainty is what insurance is based on.

"If discrimination is allowed, the person with the bad genes is out of luck because no one would insure them. However, if that isn't allowed, the companies are in trouble. If I know I'm likely to get a certain condition, I'll stock up on 'insurance' for it.

"The only solution I can see is single-payer universal coverage along the lines of the Canadian model, where everyone pays, and no one (insurer or patient) can game the system based on advance knowledge of the outcomes. Any other ideas? This bill has been in the works for a while..."

Here is the NYT's link: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/busine......f=slogin
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Oh sure, invoke the C-word. This thread is doomed ;-)

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Canadian!!!!!!!!!! Slowly I turned...step by step...

But...since I cant get insurance anyway, I opt for the healthy aspect and prospect of future generations. Gene Identification will eventually allow for gene manipulation and a potentialy disease free society. Go for it.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
The real problem is our fear of helping people due to the inevitability of said people hurting us.

Not universal health care (Which I am not arguing for or against).
Not discrimination (Again)
Not genetic testing (People who test people for the betterment of society as a whole, are suckers)

People are simply too self destructive to ever really have the possibility of any Utopian society. We will have gene testing when there is a military use. We will not have gene testing for health and welfare, unless it is an ancillary effect.

Now that I have spoken, no other words are necessary. Or in the Internet forum vernacular: Nuff said.... I hate Internet vernacular.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2008-04-25 12:59, Josh Riel wrote:

Now that I have spoken, no other words are necessary.

Funny...I just read words to that effect in another thread about 30 seconds ago.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I also read them... I was thinking of them as I wrote that.

Weird.

PC's are clearly better
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bill Prohibiting Genetic Discrimination (GINA) Moves Forward (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL