The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Two Tricks Funny Because They're Stupid (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I used to get a lot of laughs with these "bits" (hard to really call them "tricks" but they're a little more than "jokes."

-----------------------

Stand right in front of "volunter." Hold out deck of cards, spread. "Pick a card, any card, and look at it..."

As he does so, say "Study it very carefully, concentrate, and I'll tell you exactly what card it is ... have you got it firmly in mind?" - all the while holding your hands up (within his "comfort space") in a display of magic power,

["Yes"] - Quick as lightning, snatch it from his fingers, openly look at it and tell him what card it is.

Okay, it's stupid ... that's why it gets laughs.

------------------

Write a prediction of a card on a piece of paper ("I predict you will not chose the King of Hearts"), fold it and place it in your pocket. Walk up to someone, and say, "Think of a card." After affirming thay have done so, you say, "Was your card the King of Hearts?" They will say "no!" You pull out your paper and open it to reveal, "I predict you will not chose the King of Hearts." When it miraculously (1 in 52 times) turns out they actually did choose the King of Hearts just don't bring out the paper and you have just done a miracle. Otherwise it's comedy.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I really like # 2! I'd do it a hundred times just for that one shot of getting it right...straight, inexplicable mind reading!

Thanks for the tip!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
It sounds hilarious and a great ideal keep up the good work.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
We're definitely in the market for more!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
BTW, the first one - absolutely has to be done with a straight face and matter-of-fact delivery, no smile - or else as a sucker-trick "It's the ten of clubs ... what, did you think I was psychic or something, idiot!?"
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
Not to de-rail the post But I think it would be beneficial to reads as to why it's funny. I believe it's funny not because it's stupid (even though it is). It works because you are relaying on the audience conditioned to think the magician is going to get it right. And you do by doing a 180,"Surprise" and how does the audience release there tension by way of a laugh or chuckle. Which at the right moment can be exactly what the Doctor ordered.

If you're ever in this situation. Have a very tall person on stage with you and hand him a small piece of rope. Note the size of rope to the audience and look at the person on stage with you. Say nothing. It will always get a laugh.
Why? I think the audience looks at it from a sexual point of you yet you say nothing but they think it.
cheers chris
CinChiller
View Profile
Elite user
Germany
404 Posts

Profile of CinChiller
You first magic gag reminds me to a similar "effect".
You spread a deck of cards to the audience that they can see every card is different. Then you turn the cards face to you, backs to the audience and let pick up any card. Of course you can see what card is chosen, but you turn your head to tell them that you not want to see the card. After the spectator looked at his card you reveal his card and make a big show.
Some of the spectators will notice the secret of course and will laugh, but some won´t notice it and for them you created a miracle.
The Gaff Book Collection - the right tool for your booktest.
Music for mentalism and psychic entertainment.
Visit: http://stores.lulu.com/dankworth01
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Quote:
On 2008-04-28 16:43, C Christian wrote:
Not to de-rail the post But I think it would be beneficial to reads as to why it's funny. I believe it's funny not because it's stupid (even though it is). It works because you are relaying on the audience conditioned to think the magician is going to get it right. And you do by doing a 180,"Surprise" and how does the audience release there tension by way of a laugh or chuckle. Which at the right moment can be exactly what the Doctor ordered.

If you're ever in this situation. Have a very tall person on stage with you and hand him a small piece of rope. Note the size of rope to the audience and look at the person on stage with you. Say nothing. It will always get a laugh.
Why? I think the audience looks at it from a sexual point of you yet you say nothing but they think it.
cheers chris

Compleatly true and works for more than just rope. I look at the front and back of my hand and then look at the guy up and down then shake my head. Same reaction. Looking people over always gets a laugh.

ATG
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Two Tricks Funny Because They're Stupid (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL