The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Flying (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
770 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Thanks Ray! I knew Steinmeyer did the magic pieces of Disney’s Broadway shows but I didn’t know the Carpet was his invention. Very cool.
Fungineer
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Fungineer
I believe it was Steinmeyer's concept (he is credited as the designer), but Tait patented the actual mechanical technique/fabrication method. Thinking that Steinmeyer probably should have been on the patent, thoughts?
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2241 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Yeah, I would say that Jim had the idea, Tait made it work.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1344 Posts

Profile of reedrc
The current Disney rig is a beast. From what I hear, The TAIT version is large and heavy enough it impedes being able to use various venues causing the production to rethink the hardware & effect so it can go in anywhere. The Chriss Angel rig is definitely a more technological version to the Johnny Gaughan version, although similar in principle. Cool stuff.
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
Fungineer
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Fungineer
Ryan, thanks for the insight. I saw Aladdin in Chicago. Orchestra section, good seats. The effect was awesome but the tour’s lighting design at finale/curtain call was not kind to the method. For the actual musical number in the show, it was perfectly lit and choreographed. I wonder if the rig is the same for the National tour vs. the ‘permanent’ show in NYC.

For the Criss Angel version: did he/his team work with Guaghan? If not, Who was the builder?
Alex McFly
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Alex McFly
In this trailer by Peter Marvey you can see a short excerpt of his Flying. With 360 degree rotation Smile (1:28)

https://youtu.be/UkLT3AQRhzE
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1344 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Fungineer,
I've only seen the one rig. I'm unsure of the builder for the Angel versions. But it looked high tech & shiny.
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
770 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I’m not sure if it’s the rig or the performers but the Copperfield and Rick Thomas presentations (I’m assuming Thomas is Gaughn) are way smoother than Criss. Although Criss had some cool and unique things. I mean that ladder... very clever! Probably the most complicated ladder ever built!

I did see the Rick Thomas rig flash once... that always made me sad.
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1344 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Chriss's flying box is really interesting mechanically as well.
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed

Instagram
Facebook
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Flying (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL