The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Question about magicbackdrops (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Burntcircuit
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Burntcircuit
I've only heard good things about the backdrops from http://www.magicbackdrops.com but I can't find any videos or photos of it being set up. Also there are no photos of it from behind that I can find. Any drawbacks to this set up for small indoor events and also anyone who has photos of the back. Just nervous to buy something I haven't seen working that cost so much. I have searched or the 20 min silent clip but can not find it due to so many references to it. Can anyone link me to it also? Thank you!
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I believe that Jeff offers a 100% Money Back Guarantee if not satisfied...if so, he'll stand behind it. Let me ask him about it. I'll see if I can find time to do a quick video as well.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I do not have any photos of my Jeff Jones curtain yet.However,I will also say that this is a great investment.I have used it in several shows,and it really frames the performance area in a beautiful and classy way.

The back of mine[the black back drop part that is connected to the curtain]is an off white canvas.It is built to last.The actual curtains..do not wrinkle![Amazing material].

This will fit into small or large venues very nicely.It is totally adjustable and can even conform to a space ..like a corner.

Set up and tear down for me now is around a minute each way.

The stand is not some spindly weak structure...it is truly a quality solid piece of apparatus.

I hope that helps.

Rich
devlinn
View Profile
Regular user
Orangeville, ON
118 Posts

Profile of devlinn
I would agree with Rich.
This is a substantial piece of equipment.
This is simply the best investment I've ever made.
Looks classy, made to last, easy to set-up and tear down...
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
B.C., Are you going to the SAM-IBM Convention? Jeff is going to be there with his backdrops. He has a few other appearances planned as well. I'll ask him for a schedule next time I see him and pass it on. I guarantee, once you see this unit in action, you'll be happy to lay the cash down!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Burntcircuit
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Burntcircuit
No conventions for awhile... spending all my extra $ this year on new props, sound system, back drop. Just like to see how solid things look and it was the only backdrop out of all the ones recommended on here that didn't have pics/video of the framework up somewhere. Hoping to pick it up before the summer library shows start if I can get some pics and/or video.
Wade Live
View Profile
Veteran user
Earth
322 Posts

Profile of Wade Live
Spider ALL THE WAYYYYYYY!!!
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
The Spiders are cool... They look neat... They set up quickly... But my biggest problem with them is this... They have to extend all the way up. I know at least one performer and one magic dealer who's performing/exhibiting situation didn't allow them to extend it all the way up because of a low ceiling in one case and a low overhang in the other case. So they were forced to perform/exhibit with NO backdrop!

Lyndel
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Spiders are expensive, fragile and not adjustable. GReat if all you do is stage work...but for birthday parties and smaller events - fuggedaboudit!

RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I agree Skip!

The Spider backdrops are an igenious product,however,they are,I believe mostly meant for stage type performances.

There may be a smaller Spider set up that can be used in a small space that I am not aware of.

The Jeff Jones Backdrop on the other hand can be used for smaller venues ...or for stage.

I did a Communion party show today at a restaurant.I had approximately a 6'x6' space in a corner reserved for me.[that's fairly small]No problem.I set my backdrop up and conformed the arm extensions to the shape of the space.So within a minute or so I had a beautiful backdrop flush to the walls of the corner,and adequate performance space in front of the backdrop.Try to do that with a Spider.

Setting the backdrop up is almost an effect itself!...I could here the ooh's and ahh's as I transformed the space.I am loving the fact that my show looks so much bigger than it did in the past.

Rich
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2008-04-26 19:44, PaleoMagi wrote:
Setting the backdrop up is almost an effect itself!...I could here the ooh's and ahh's as I transformed the space.I am loving the fact that my show looks so much bigger than it did in the past.
Rich

Exactly! Same here! I think the real beauty of the Magicbackdrop is the One-Piece, set-it-up-&-go construction. When you open the wings and raise the back, the effect is instantaneous. I always get oohs and ahhhhs! Do that with a Spider! Smile

Burntcircuit
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Burntcircuit
Lots of comments... none seem bad yet from anyone who owns a magic back drop. Anyone have a photo of the back though? That was the main thing I needed if anyone has a chance to it would be greatly appreciated.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
You can also contact Jeff.He was very helpful with photos for me when I was considering his product.

I am just curious..what is your obsession with the 'back' of the curtain? I already told you it was a heavy/sturdy off white canvas material.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I suspect he's more curious about the stand than the material of the curtains. I can understand that. Part of what sells these things at conventions is Jeff's demonstration of the 60-second set-up and take-down...which includes the stand. It's a fair question...I've just been too busy to get the video or photos shot. Ask Jeff and he may have it for you.

RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Oh,that may be my mistake.As far as the stand...I was blown away when I saw the quality.
It's packed away for tommorrow,but let me give a description.It is black metal[probably heavy duty aluminum].The main tube is about 2 1/2" in diameter.The unfolding feet are wide spread for maximum stability.The expansion arms have the entire curtain built on to them.That is why this is soooo easy to set up.It has a simple connector that drops into the top of the vertical stand. The expansion arms can be swung about 300 degrees each,conforming to almost any space.There are only two parts :the stand,and the full curtain with the built in arms.Exquisite!

How'd I do Skip? Smile

Rich
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Took the words right out of my mouth, Rich! Smile The stand is adjustable in height from as low as 4 feet up to 9 feet. Also, by adding a 5 pound weight to the back of the stand, I've used this backdrop outside without a hitch. Without that weight, however, it is prone to being blown over by moderate breezes outdoors.

Burntcircuit
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Burntcircuit
Yes the stand is what I'm curious about, just want to make sure first it's good quality and second that its not just some stand sold else where barely modified if at all and then sold at a huge mark up. I have no problem paying for a good quality product, just hate paying a 3rd party mark up. I just want to make sure it will stand up to the tests of time and light abuse. Plus I found it odd that as long as this product had been out (from what I was told 3 years) that there was no pics of the stand or videos of it being set up/taken down. The only pics magicbackdrops.com had were the front views. Guess he might be afraid that it might get copied in china if he does and I can't really blame him. But just being cautious on my part buying an item you can't see from all angles. Prob gonna order one on Monday as no one has anything bad to say and I'd love to have this for my library shows.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
You are going to love it.I am sure you will be raving about it too when you get it.

Skip:Thanks for the weight tip.What type of weight do you use and where do you attach it?I was thinking about using a sand bag or two.This is going to be great at block parties and picnics.

I also like the privacy this backdrop affords for setting up.The extension arms can be angled backward,and you almost have a little 3 sided room to set up your show.
I am thinking about getting a battery operated light because it can get dark back there.

Rich
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I went to a boat shop and bought a 5 lb ingot boat anchor - It looks like a silver or nickel bar with an eyelet on one end. Cost me around $8.00. I tied a piece of rope to it and hang it gently on the lower height adjustment knob. It lowers the center of gravity so the screen isn't so easy to blow over. I still try to keep it backed up to a wall, but even out in the open, it has yet to fall over on me.

Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1521 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I was just in Raleigh this weekend and spent a few hours at Jeff's house talking magic. I also have one of his backdrop, a lovely and elegant burgundy with gold trim, for my fancier shows and I will be getting my backdrop for my safari shows this upcoming week. Jeff knows his stuff and the curtains, decorations, and stand are all built to last and make quite the impression. If you contact him he will explain everything that you may have questions about.

Chad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Question about magicbackdrops (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL