The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » First or Last? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Just a quick question: Do you have the birthday child up as the first volunteer or the last volunteer of the show? Any particular reason why first is better than last or vice versa?

Thanks,
Harv
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I try to have them help as the first and the last and often the middle one as well. Sometimes if they are very shy it might take until the end of the show before they have built the confidence to come up and help. In that case, I use an older sibling or another friend for the first helper.
I will often have the birthday child help in every trick. Some of the routines involve multiple helpers so the other children all get to participate as well.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
The birthday child helps with the first and last trick. With the last trick, they magic a little present, which at the moment is a large inflatable.

The other day I was blowing it up for the birthday child (it only takes a 2-3 good puffs), which they then held along with their balloon model and 36" rabbit happy birthday silk (which has just appeared in the hat they have been wearing), for a photo and a kid shouted, "Hey! His face has gone red!" So now when I go to inflate the present I say, "You'll have to excuse me for a minute. I can't talk and blow this up at the same time, but I can do a really good magic trick. I can make my face change colour. " When they say, "Wow, it's gone red," I stop blowing, look at the adults, and say, "That's the cheapest magic trick I've ever bought," which always gets a laugh.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Thanks for the advice and the quick response!! Much appreciated!

Harv
Jerry Hornak
View Profile
Regular user
Northwest Connecticut
132 Posts

Profile of Jerry Hornak
I get birthday children up first and feature them in their own trick. It seems the logical thing to do since they're the guest of honor.

I don't believe in spoiling kids so I resist having them up for more than their one special magic routine.

When I start the next routine, I look right at the birthday child and, with a bright smile, I say, "I need a couple of your friends but don't go away! I'm going to need you in a few minutes!"

Then I keep my promise by getting them up alone to pet the dove (at midshow) then the bunny (at the end) so photos can be taken. (Isn't it funny how moms and dads sit beaming at junior petting the animals and forget to take the shot until you remind them with, "Photo op!"?)

Finally, I get them up to get the first giveaway.

My goal is to make them feel special without overdoing it, as well as letting their friends share the magic.
Making Happy Memories for Children since 1980!
https://JerrysMagic.com
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
I invariably "save" the birthday child for the end of the show.
At that time, I give him or her the obligatory magic certificate, which the other volunteers got.
But the birthday child also gets a huge balloon animal, a magic birthday card, and a small magic trick.
The reason for keeping the birthday child to the end is that I don't want the other volunteers to think that they are going to get all that stuff too.
Remember, they are just young kids and the concept of a birthday being special for just one child is a bit alien to them.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I used to save the birthday child until the end, and then I encountered a run of spoilt brats, who after seeing 2-3 of their friends being asked to help went running to mummy crying and complaining. Then I had a couple of the Mums (who had been told when she booked me that the birthday child will help magic her own pressie at the end of the show) come up and interrupt the show to ask if I could use her kid now as she was upset. So I changed it to first and last. The bonus is when they come up the 2nd time the other kids say, "Ohhh! She/he's already had a go," to which I answer, "I know, and if you get mummy to get me to come to your party, you can have 2 goes as well"
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Emazdad,
I had similar experiences to you in keeping involving the Birthday child late in the show. I too use the child near the beginning and later. I tell the birthday child that if they are good for the rest of the show they can assist me again later. I do this as I on a few (rare) occasions I found that once the Birthday children had done their bit they became less interested in the show, usually with parties for kids that had seen me a lot.
Phillip
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
I like the idea of the birthday child coming up first AND last. Emazdad, I also like your answer to the kids when they tell you the birthday child has had 2 goes. Thanks to all for your responses.

Cheers,
Harv
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » First or Last? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL