The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » John Mendoza (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brandon Sheffield
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Brandon Sheffield
John Mendoza
My Best

I want to start by saying wow! I had no idea what to expect when I ordered this volume, and now I’m kicking my self for not getting all three volumes.
I want to also say I was pleasantly surprised by how great every trick in this volume was.
The collection of magic DVDs that are in my living room are like allot of the ones that are in yours, some are great but most only have about two to three routines that you are actually going to use. I’ am being honest when I say this, you could do a whole card act with just the effects on this volume and you would be happy, and so would your audience. Ill keep the descriptions of the effects short and rate each one.

Koran Prediction
This is a very clean prediction of a card in wallet. I will be adding this one to my routine. I have to give this a 9

Color Changing Deck
A very smooth color changing deck routine, uses a lot of familiar moves, but I like this routine compared to most just because of the simplicity
Definitely a 7

Universal Routine
One of my favorite routines of Bro john Hamman that allot of magicians have over looked. Three selections are laid out on the table, the performer takes out three blank cards of a different colored back. Each time the three cards touch one of the selections, they all turn into the selection. Mouths drop on this trust me, I have done this routine a thousand times and it always gets great reaction. John has changed the handling and the ending, and I have to say I like it better now.
10 all the way around

Clyde
I have to say I haven’t watched the explanations yet and this one has me stumped. Its starts off as a gag, the just thinks of a card and the magic guy tells everyone he is going to name the card that was thought of. Then he names it Clyde. Needless to say it’s not what every one was expecting. But then he shows a deck of cards with names on it, with the last card being not only the thought of card but also has the name Clyde on it.

The Ultimate Torn and Restored Card
The name says it all and it doesn’t disappoint. I’m the first to admit that I’m not a big fan of this kind of effect but I can see you guys that do, checking this one out and using it

Unearthly Powers
A self working trick that is actually pretty good. I know we tend to over look these small miracles because for some reason we see the term self working and think amateur. But I think this one is truly worth looking at
7 to 8 undecided on this one

Visa Versa
Basically a two card transposition. This is one of the few effects that I was probably not as impressed with as I should have been. I think it’s because I’m looking at it through a magicians eyes and I’m sure it is way stronger to some one with unknowing eyes.

The Ambitious Card
Pretty much your standard fare, with a kicker ending, I would honestly recommend this routine for anyone looking for a different ending for their ACR. With all of the different moves, cuts, and displacements it’s a shocker that all three mates of the selected card is found at the end with the selected card.

Between Your Palms
This is a classic piece of magic from the great Alex Elmsley’s. A card is set aside in plain view of a spectator and she is asked to put her palm on top of it. Three cards are selected and one is signed and returned to the deck. The first two cards are found with the third giving the magician a hard time in finding it. The card is found to be the very first card put under the spectators palm before the start of the actual routine. Again this is a classic effect and packs a strong punch.

Simple Tunnel
This reminded me of the card warp premise that we have all seen before, but what I like about this routine is there are no torn cards at the end
A very nice 8

The Most Difficult Card Routine In the World
Two cards are selected and lost into the deck, while another indifferent card is thrown into the air being caught in the deck between the two selections. This is a very quick routine that I liked more after watching it a second time.

McDonald's Four Aces
We have seen this one before and while I liked his handling of this routine and he did have a couple of different vanishes of the aces that I don’t think I have seen before. I wasn’t that impressed with this one. But that is strictly my opinion, and I think its just because I have recently started doing John Guastaferro’s version on his Second Storm series. I highly recommend that version.

First review of any kind so if some thing isn't right just let me know.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3375 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Great review Brandon. John is a really talented magician. I haven't got this one, but now after reading this I'll add it to my wish list. Thanks for the heads up!
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
The 3 volumes of John Mendoza's My Best is one of the most underrated DVD sets out there. The material is wonderful. There are a lot of lessons to learn from John's presentations. His thoughts and work on the chop cup are great. I wish he would find a manufacturer and put out his version of the cup. This is one of my all time favorite sets.
tian_ci
View Profile
Elite user
Knoxville, TN
477 Posts

Profile of tian_ci
His Dice Stacking routine is excellent!
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3725 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I posted a review of John's My Best some time ago. It is one of my all time favorite dvd sets. If you want to learn solid, "meat without the potatoes" magic that was tested, used and refined by a true professional, John Mendoza, then this is the dvd set that you MUST get.

As a side note, you should also get John Mendoza's Combo Cups and and Balls set from RNT2. they are also great.

My highest recommendation.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Brandon Sheffield
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

After watching just the one volume, I have to wonder why things like this get so over looked. Honestly I could have saved myself allot of money on some other DVDs, had I known about this series. I just got allot out of it personally and it looks like I'm not alone

Brandon
jerry100won
View Profile
Loyal user
Dallas Texas
274 Posts

Profile of jerry100won
Thanks for the info, I'll have to pick up this set
Jerry

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON
jerry100won
View Profile
Loyal user
Dallas Texas
274 Posts

Profile of jerry100won
Just got the set and I have to say I'm very pleased. He has TONS of magic ...this is an excellent buy that you can use.
Jerry

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-04-30 12:25, Domino Magic wrote:
The 3 volumes of John Mendoza's My Best is one of the most underrated DVD sets out there. The material is wonderful. There are a lot of lessons to learn from John's presentations....

Agreed!

John teaches the bluff pass in a different way. I adopted it and while it doesn't seem possible that this would work, it does. Everytime. John even chuckles when teaching it because it's a total scam that flys right by them.

On the set John proclaims that he's not a funny guy, but it's not true. He has them laughing because he's not trying too hard to be funny. His repeating "this isn't a trick, it's not going to fool you" is disarming at first, but after they just keep getting fooled badly, it turns into a running gag.

And John seems like he's having a real fun time. Maybe it's the pretty girls at the table;-)

If you missed this set when it was first released, do yourself a favor and get it because the magic is world class.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
L&L Publishing is giving away "John Mendoza - My Best - 3-volume DVD set" with any $99 or more purchase.

http://www.llpub.com
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1051 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Must have o d'd on the replication Chris.lol
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I've been a fan of John's since the 80's. I think he's sort of like Frank Garcia. He has a great eye for what's really good in magic and he's a master at routining. His hard-to-find books are classics and this DVD set is definitely worth buying.

Robert
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3125 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
While I don't always agree with John on here, and I actually just had a minor conflict with him concerning something else, I will say this: I highly recommend this dvd set. Great material that is real world workers. You will find something, more than likely several things, that you will want to add to your performance.

I would also recommend the entire set. I know a few people that bought just one of the dvd's and ended up buying the entire set, its just that good!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5321 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I'm a long time fan of John Mendoza. I got his books (Book of John and Book of John verse two) and this set is a compliment to his written word. I recommend buying the entire set. Better yet go to L&L and buy $99.00 worth of stuff that you just can be without and have them give you Mendoza' set as a freebe! My guess is that you'll enjoy much of what you buy and you'll actually use the stuff that John teaches.

Highly recommended.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Brandon Sheffield
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

I was one of those people. I bought one, and ended up buying the whole set. Its by far one of the better sets that I own.

Brandon
AngeloR
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of AngeloR
My introduction to the Mendoza brand of magic was back in the middle 1970's. I attended a small-group lecture of his in Rockford, Illinois. He was great! So of course when I became aware of his DVD set I had to get it. As has already been mentioned, he is very good and, overall, the effects are strong. Good stuff.

Angelo
C-Taylor
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of C-Taylor
Nobody has commented on the the blond with the short hair.. Or do I not get around enough?
"theres a lot of good card magic in that book, unfortunately you have to have skill to do most of it." Smile
coolini
View Profile
Regular user
australia
175 Posts

Profile of coolini
This set is one of my favourite...john did a great job there and it's diverse in term of the magic used which is easy to do, direct and effective...more job could be done on the presentation however when you r sitting in a room full of good looking girls it's hard to concentrate on magic...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » John Mendoza (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL