We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » It is not just us (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Al, Have you watched the morning economy news?

Th lost of jobs are less than they excepted. The dollar is up. Some large companies earnings where higher than they thought. Smile

I guess your clients can have you and eat too!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Curtis
As I said two days ago when this thread began my phone started ringing, and I am now a very happy boy. Now is there any way that we can stop the pep rally?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Al,
We want to keep the pep rally going so your phone will keep ringing my friend....
RING RING RING!!!!! Smile
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Curtis
The most amazing happened to me this morning. An agency found me on a google search and hired me for a bunch of jobs this Summer based on our phone conversation, and my web site.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Side question

I don't like agents because they promise the clients one thing and I show up expecting to do what I told the agent I would. These "misunderstandings" include wrong start time, performing while audience is eating... you know the rest, Taking a show for 40 people to find out there are 500 and somehow feeling that you were told they only had $500 when you know the client probably paid $2,000

so

Do you drop the agent? I've dropped more agents because of this, to the point where I don't work for them very much. The other thing I've done is insist on the clients phone number so I can contact them... and I do.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I have tons of agent stories, good and bad. Agents are a necessary evil. Yes I have dropped a few agents. I also would have liked to drop them off a cliff, but I hate doing magic in jail.

The devil walks into an agent's office. Holds in his hand three contacts for three very famous people (use any three names you like)and says, "You can have these three stars exclusively as clients. All you have to do is kill your mother. The agent thinks for about ten minutes and asks, "So what's the catch?"
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
So the biggest question is how do you deal with the feeling they are making three times what you are making.

Anyone who says "I don't care as long as I make my rate" can't be for real. What if you're paid a thousand and the agent is paid four? It's happened to me. I realize if you report them that they won't send you further work.
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Quote:
On 2008-05-02 16:02, jay leslie wrote:
Anyone who says "I don't care as long as I make my rate" can't be for real.

Jay,
The key is to ask plenty of questions. If you ask enough questions, the truth will come out - you'll know how many people, you'll know the dress code, you'll know the venue space, you'll know the details and when things don't add up, you will know the agent is lying.

When you accept the gig at a rate - you do it. I've had it happen too. Am I upset? No, I was mad at myself for being taken. Did I complain? No. Did I report it? To who? The client didn't want to know I was an idiot. The thing is, these agents are the ones you don't want to work with. After I was paid, I simply told the agent never to darken my doorstep again. (The good thing is you now know you are worth $4,000!)

I recommend you get Ken Grove's "Breaking Down The Brick Walls of Show Biz". He's a vent, but it was written for comedians and variety entertainers. Ken's got years of experience behind him and is an extremely successful corporate act. His book is available at:
http://www.ventriloquism101.com/products/books.htm

(Before anyone claims I'm hawking a product - I am not associated with Lee Cornell - but I am a friend of Ken Groves. His advice is worth every penney and if the book didn't answer your question, I wouldn't have placed it here - page 74)

He deals with your exact question - and loads of others. This is NOT a marketing book - although Lee offers a bunch of junk, er, add-ons with it. Ken breaks down the mechanics of creating a successful show and selling it. Think you've already got a successful show? You will definitely learn from Ken. An easy read and a brutally honest look at making it as a professional entertainer.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Al great news! Smile

Websites are a valuable tool!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » It is not just us (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL