The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best online store (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..12~13~14 [Next]
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
Bar none... http://www.magicproshop.com/

I've ordered a lot from them. The great thing is, they have FREE shipping with orders over 20 dollars, and they ship INCREDIBLY fast! I got all my magic within 1 day. And the shipping was free to boot.
wcmagician
View Profile
New user
Georgia
45 Posts

Profile of wcmagician
I have had a lot of luck with Hocus-pocus, penguinmagic, and the magic warehouse. Great customer service and quality of magic.
Will
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
504 Posts

Profile of Bendy
My favorites - in order - are:

1. Mad Hatter Magic Shop
2. The Magic Warehouse
3. Penguin Magic

Other good ones are: Elmwood Magic, The Magic Depot and the Trickery.

Hank Lee's Magic Factory, while well-stocked and carrying both the latest stuff as well as some hard-to-find items, isn't the best priced spot on the web and I've had some problems with them before that went beyond a simple mistake or one-time occurrence. Unfortunately, there's one utility item I love that only they carry; so I'm stuck buying from them once in a while. I keep hoping their prices go down and their service gets better. ...Keep hope alive!
MagicAndy
View Profile
New user
Sussex
18 Posts

Profile of MagicAndy
My favourite to use is Alakazam (www.alakazam.co.uk)
Always have great results with them and they're very fast at responding to questions.
All Life is an Illusion, only when you realise that can you appreciate what is truly real.
clownmagic
View Profile
New user
Fallsview, NY
41 Posts

Profile of clownmagic
I have to cast my vote for http://www.magicvault.net

The prices are very fair, and the people there are wonderful. I found out about the Café from one of the newsletters they put out.

I also like the Collectors Workshop/Viking. Unique products.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3207 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I just recently started ordering from Elmwood, and they are courteous, fast and offer some good deals, they even respond promptly to e-mails!

I have to rate them as the best so far!

Penguin has become slow in there shipping dept.

Magic Warehouse is good as well!

Madhatter Magic is slow to ship.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
http://www.theambitiouscard.com has low prices. Somtimes he will give a better deal if you contact him by phone. The owner, Frank, is also a member.
doormouse
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of doormouse
Hocus Pocus and Madhatter are tops.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Penguin seems to have changed their shipping policies. After placing and paying for my last order, I first received a notification that the items had shipped. Then the following day another notification saying that they hadn't shipped it after all and wouldn't unless I paid an additional $28. Which I found somewhat unorthodox since I had paid what the shopping cart told me to, with the only available international shipping option the way I always do.

So I wrote a letter basically saying that I wasn't about to renegotiate the shipping fee after the order including shipping was placed and paid for. I asked them to cancel my order if they wanted to come back for more money after the deal was made.

I buy from them since they do things like throw in a free DVD, but if that free bonus DVD increases the shipping charges by more than the DVD costs, it isn't much good. It's a bonus you didn't go there to buy to begin with.

To my email I just now received a reply saying that when you buy books you need to basically disregard what the site says and wait for them to send you an invoice. This one time they will make an exception and ship the items "courtesy".

My guess is that that they had indeed already shipped it the day before even tho they wrote and said that they were holding it back.

I have ordered bigger piles of books several times in the past (2 now plus a booklet). I have always paid the same shipping amount without any problems. So either they are in the process of increasing their charges and haven't had the time to do the site design changes yet or someone just screwed up. Could even be me although I don't see how.

In any case I have always been very satisfied with them. My other favorite is Madhatter Magic.

The reason why I buy from as big companies as possible is that a lot of the small ones really are terrible at international orders and also secure online payment. It has happened more than once that I have had problems with your typical magician with a website claiming to be a company ("we appreciate... we will ship...", etc. Just one guy with lots of padded envelopes on his kitchen table).

After paying you wait a few days or a week and then they write you and tell you that they don't actually have it in stock. "Thank you for your patience" they say like you agreed to wait until they have printed up more books. Nobody asked you but wait you must.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Ok, remember I mainly do kids shows / restaurant work in the Gulf but I use:-

From the UK I purchase from http://www.practical-magic.com They stock most of the things I want to use.(I also ask their advice about tricks they don't stock and events like Kidology and Kidabra.)
For cards and general items I shop at the nearest Magic Shop to where-ever I am on leave - so albion magic in West Bromwich, House of Magic UK in Stourbridge (good for used magic and a cuppa) and Davenport's in London.

From the USA I use David Ginn http://www.ginnmagic.com When parcels failed to arrive he resent everything, all $325 worth. That is what I call great customer service.

My first port of call though is e-bay. I always check there first to see if I can make a saving.

And in local supermarkets in Kuwait. Last year you could get a triple box set of bicycle cards for 1.750 dinars (£2.90/$5.80) so I stocked up.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
DopeyDave
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of DopeyDave
I have to vote for Penguin. They have fantastic prices and thier promotions usually include several must have items. Currently they are offering free videos such as Greg Wilson's On the Spot, Sal Piacente's Expert Card magic or Luke Jermay's 3510 for order of $150. Not bad considering any one of those promos is worth at least $50.
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
of magic in Jacksonville, FL
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
Quote:
On 2008-06-13 21:38, DopeyDave wrote:
I have to vote for Penguin. They have fantastic prices and thier promotions usually include several must have items. Currently they are offering free videos such as Greg Wilson's On the Spot, Sal Piacente's Expert Card magic or Luke Jermay's 3510 for order of $150. Not bad considering any one of those promos is worth at least $50.

Dave,

I saw those promotions before but can't find them now. Can you point me to that URL? Thanks!

~James
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
My problem with Penguin is that the items I want are always out of stock. After a year of this I now look elsewhere.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
400 Posts

Profile of konjurer
Quote:
On 2008-06-13 21:56, whitjm5 wrote:
Quote:

Dave,

I saw those promotions before but can't find them now. Can you point me to that URL? Thanks!

~James

The current promotion is on the top of every page right under their banner. Or you can use this link:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/promotions.php

There is currently a promotion but they usually fall around holidays.
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
Quote:
On 2008-06-14 00:19, konjurer wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-06-13 21:56, whitjm5 wrote:
Quote:

Dave,

~James

The current promotion is on the top of every page right under their banner. Or you can use this link:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/promotions.php

There is currently a promotion but they usually fall around holidays.

Thank you! I had seen that page before but couldn't find my way back to it. Really appreciated!
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

To me it seems like Penguin's promotions are put up every second month. I think they have followed this rather clockworkishly for 2008 at least. They just pick a name for each "campaign" to fit some season or event or proverb.

So there was one in April ("April Loves You"), there is one now and if I'm right the next one will be for August.

Now we can have fun guessing possible names for the next one. August Blues Clearance maybe. Smile
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
Quote:
On 2008-06-14 04:16, The Amazing Noobini wrote:
To me it seems like Penguin's promotions are put up every second month. I think they have followed this rather clockworkishly for 2008 at least. They just pick a name for each "campaign" to fit some season or event or proverb.

So there was one in April ("April Loves You"), there is one now and if I'm right the next one will be for August.

Now we can have fun guessing possible names for the next one. August Blues Clearance maybe. Smile

On the site it says that the current promotion will run through 1 September, but the promo items are subject to change.
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
400 Posts

Profile of konjurer
I understand people have had problems with Penguin Magic in the past however I've have nothing but good luck with them. They're kind of like the Walmart of magic...big selection, low prices. And I've gotten a lot of really good, free DVDs during their promotions.

The only other online store I've used is Joe Mogar's Magic Stars web site. Joe even answered the phone when I called and he talked my ear off. What a truly nice and knowledgable guy. You won't get that kind of attention from the customer support line at Penguin.
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-06-14 13:07, whitjm5 wrote:
On the site it says that the current promotion will run through 1 September, but the promo items are subject to change.

Well, that pretty much proves me wrong then. Smile It seemed like every second month for a while but that was probably just a coincidence then and not a strategy.

In any case, the more promotions the merrier. My impulse buy record so far is $126 just to get the promotions. I'm such a sucker. Bought some books I will not have the time to actually read for years but that I want in my shelf for reference. So I got them sooner rather than later because the freebies were nice. Now I'm thinking that if I had added $24 worth of extra items I would have gotten something like a triple DVD set more. I get greedy on these after midnight online shopping sprees. Smile
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
504 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2008-06-13 23:07, themagiciansapprentice wrote:
My problem with Penguin is that the items I want are always out of stock. After a year of this I now look elsewhere.

As much as I like Penguin Magic, I have to agree. Some of the simplest things are listed as out of stock at Penguin and I've found that more often than not, once something is "temporarily out of stock" at Penguin, it is most likely not coming back in stock. I don't know why this is; but it's the single most annoying thing about their site that I can list.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best online store (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL