We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best online store (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
Absinthe
View Profile
New user
The Green
8 Posts

Profile of Absinthe
Hocus Pocus
mahucharn
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of mahucharn
I like Penguinmagic.com
QED
View Profile
New user
Alexandria, VA
74 Posts

Profile of QED
If it's "online" that you want, I recommend using the web site of a real brick and mortar store.
I will ALWAYS go that route before I use a strictly online store. Those stores are just "order takers/fulfillment houses". They generally can't answer specific answers about effects nor can they make recommendations. Denny Haney ( http://www.dennymagic.com ) in Baltimore, MD (also has a shop in Las Vegas) is my go-to man. You can call his store, and 9 times out of 10, it will be Denny answering the phone. He is encyclopedic in his knowledge and will steer you to the right effect if you don't know exactly what you are looking for. His prices MIGHT be a couple of dollars higher than the online discount "stores" (usually the same after you add S&H charges), but that is MORE than recovered when you get the right effect for you and your skills and/or needs. All it takes is one bad purchase from an online dealer to more than wipe out any savings you might experience by using a discounter. Beside that, you are helping to keep an invaluable resource, a REAL magic shop, in business.
Denny has always steered me in the right direction with his recommendations and saved me a lot of money in the long run. If I call him and say I'm thinking about getting something in particular, he might tell me "No, that's not what you want. You really want... "whatever it is"....". Often the item he is directing me to is cheaper and better than what I was originally looking to buy. Sometimes he will say "You don't want that, it's junk, doesn't work as advertised. You want this... it's more expensive, but it does what you want it to and does it better." Again, he has never done me wrong. He's a straight up man and won't B.S. you just to make a sale. Try getting that kind of service from Penguin.... ain't gonna happen. He won't stock "crap" and stuff that doesn't work.... no plastic vomit, rubber chickens or silly gags either... just pro magic. Denny has recently updated his web site and now has demo videos and better listing of effects, but I would just call him directly and get personalized service.
Also, I use Barry's ( http://www.barrysmagicshop.com )in Rockville, MD on the rare occasion that Denny doesn't have what I need. I work 5 miles from the shop, but I still go to Denny's for most of my needs. That's not saying anything is wrong with Barry's shop... he and Susie are great people and very helpful and they have a huge shop. I just prefer the type of service and advice I get from Denny.
Support the REAL magic shops... avoid the online-only dealers unless you absolutely have no other choice...
David Quidas
Alexandria, VA

I'm here to tell ya, and I don't mind tellin' ya, but I ain't sayin' nothin', if ya know what I'm sayin'...
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8521 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Have to agree with most of the above, but can't make it an OVERALL thing. I am not a brick and mortar store, obviously; nor am I an on-line "store." But I do have a magic (& memory) website. Haven't steered anywone wrong yet - ever. So, need to be just a bit careful about blanket, overall, statements. HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
And I would add a pitch for all authors... whenever possible, buy their books directly from them.

You wouldn't believe how little of the sale price of a book in a bookstore gets back to the actual author or authors.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
A new online store is My Magic Supply

http://mymagicsupply.com
-Matt
bghost
View Profile
New user
USA
92 Posts

Profile of bghost
My favorite site will be
1. Penguin Magic - very fast shipping and great customer service,lots of products are cheaper than other dealers.

2. Hocus pocus - lots of discount or sale event, great customer service
3. Mahatter Magic shop - you can find some products on sale or get instant rebate
clownmagic
View Profile
New user
Fallsview, NY
41 Posts

Profile of clownmagic
Now that MagicVault announced all orders get shipped for free in addition to having prices below the normal dealer prices, they are my only place to shop unless it's something custom from somewhere

You guys really need to check them out. http://www.shopmagicvault.com

I got another browser window open placing an order right now!

You guys rock!
mediamonk
View Profile
Regular user
Walla Walla
103 Posts

Profile of mediamonk
If I'm not buying direct from a creator lately, it's been elmwood magic and penguin for me.
"There are two ways of living life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is." -Albert Einstein
Magic Roman
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Magic Roman
Penguin Magic is developing a new website, and you can use it. The new site is in beta testing right now, but it is usable. http://www.New.PenguinMagic.com
Magically,
Roman
mediamonk
View Profile
Regular user
Walla Walla
103 Posts

Profile of mediamonk
I just discovered that Elmwood now has a streaming video section. Lots of videos available, many of them $5.00. I purchased a Juan Tamariz Ace Assembly and Daryl's Rope Routine for a grand total of $10, no waiting (well, maybe a couple hours for streaming approval).
"There are two ways of living life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is." -Albert Einstein
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
This thread is good and insightful maybe 2-4 pages ago, but at some point doesn't this get repetitive and can just go on forever and it will. Repeating and rotating over and over the top 5. Penguin - Elmwood - Penguin - Trick Store - Hocus Pocus - magic vault -Elmwood - Trickstore.

Perhaps there should be just a section that announces best deals of the day or sale and state for how long also post only sales that would offer no less than 25% and maybe free shipping domestically. 10% is nothing and just makes it tax free basically, therefore all the more reason to support physical magic stores if one is lucky to live nearby one - but who could ever keep up with that kind of task.

alright, better now, medicine is working now - Sorry for that very impulsive negative rant. We all have our specific loyalties to no matter what anyway.
I know we all love to give our shout outs aaaand moving on...
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
To rklew64......you know, I was starting to think the same thing a while ago, NOT AT ALL in a negative way but kind of like, "it's just the same thing over and over". I remember when this thread was on it's 3rd page and I was already thinking about that. Once again, NOTHING negative, but just kind of like, "what else can be said?". But once in a while someone says something interesting other than "my favorite shops are......" Like Magic Roman, with his post about the New Penguin Magic site. That's something a little different that I didn't know. I guess even though it is repetitive I STILL like to read each post, just to see what everybody thinks.
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
Magic warehouse and magic proshop excellent service and speedeeeeee.
KMFrye
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of KMFrye
SilkMagic.Com has given me excellent service.

Cannot recommend MadHatterInternational - second rate product and service.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6992 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Has anyone shopped at Nexus Magic Shop yet?

http://www.NexusMagicStore.com

I have found this one to be a winner! I'd like to see some reviews! Smile

Doug
AmateurTom
View Profile
New user
UK
12 Posts

Profile of AmateurTom
http://www.worldmagicstore.com/

brilliant online and there is a shop in Birmingham - England
Jeff Hartsoe
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Jeff Hartsoe
I'm a big fan of:

Vanishing Inc (Josh Jay fan)
Penguin Magic (Great prices and shipping)
Magic Warehouse (Good Service)
Loomis Magic (Dennis Loomis once called me to verify an order, nice!)

I think I'm going to try Madhatter, seems to have good prices.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Quote:
On 2008-04-27 21:49, blackdeck wrote:
What is the best online store to buy card magic dvds and tricks?

My E-bay store is great! Smile
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Crimlock
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Crimlock
I see almost all post are American stores, I'm from the Netherlands so import is sometimes a bit expensive. But for the short time I'm into magic I've boughts some books at http://www.dynamitemagic.nl/shop/
These guys are real friendly and helped me out with my questions. The deliver to other countries to, so maybe something to look into for other Europeans in the Café. (The site is in Dutch, English and German).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best online store (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL