The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Invisible Thread (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
forrest225
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of forrest225
Hi guys its been a while since I have dined at the Café and I have been looking for some invisible thread. I plan to perform floating dollar bill and hummer card affects and variations. What thread and wax is the best value for the money and I would also like to know where I can find it. thanks for all the help you can give me! Smile
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Best value? Wooly Nylon from your local fabric shop. Wax toilet bowl ring from your local hardware store. Total cost? A couple of bucks. You can't beat that for value.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Yep...ditto.

Go to your local fabric shop and get a spool of "wooly nylon." You''ll need to strip out the individual strands from the thread. Make sure it says "black" on the package because brown will look black under certain lighting conditions. Then, head over to the hardware store and get yourself a wax ring used to seat toilets during installation.

As Dave mentions, for only a couple of dollars, you'll be set for life!

Mark. Smile

PS - Welcome to the Café!
forrest225
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of forrest225
Thanks! We have a ton of fabric stores around here! After all I do live in Quilt City USA! Oh I am not new to the Café I just never posted a lot and quit coming here for a little while. But as you can see I'm back Smile
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Okay, I admit: I'm IT-phobic. How's the woolly stuff work in the Real World? Is it a contender, or is its only selling point its low-cost?
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
I personally think the wooly nylon works great. I have not had any problems with it. I have never thought about using a toilet bowl ring to get wax but it sounds like a great ideal.
Tokyo Williams
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
126 Posts

Profile of Tokyo Williams
I've wondered about the woolly nylon as well. Leland, how difficult is the "extraction" process? I have bad memories of being a broke youngster and performing surgery on old nylons to extract IT. That was an incredible pain in the rear...
I have nothing to say
And I am saying it
And that is poetry.
-John Cage
mix999
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of mix999
The extraction process is actually quite easy because the thread is loosely held together.
Mithrandir
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island N.Y.
111 Posts

Profile of Mithrandir
Is the wooly nylon the exact same stuff you get at the magic shop ???
semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
I got a spool of wooly years ago. It will last you a lifetime. There are different kids of IT, but this is one of them. I think it is the best for most lighting. This is NOT elastic. That is different stuff. Stripping is very easy with wooly with a piece of scotch tape, one strand stuck to the wall, you can strip a strand in 15 seconds or less.

The wax ring is brilliant. Thanks for that tip Dave V and Mark!
Scott Emo, co-creator of Fenced In Illusion - There's nothing better than breaking free!

And creator of Sacred - The Child Conjuring Illusion - Because there is nothing more magical than the creation of a child.

Find them at: http://www.masterofillusions.ca/
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
418 Posts

Profile of daver
In addition to "wooly nylon" you can go to sewing stores and ask for overlocking thread. It is a multistrand thread you can also split and you can get it in a number of colors...
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
Will DThrill
View Profile
New user
South Jersey
69 Posts

Profile of Will DThrill
I'm confused. is the wax ring a substitute for Magician's Wax?
This is my sig until I can get photobucket to work right Smile
martin king
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of martin king
Everything I've read about 'Wooly nylon' on this post, I totally agree with having used it myself, I find it's even better than some of the shop bought IT.
alonsogar
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of alonsogar
Quote:
On 2008-06-15 00:59, martin king wrote:
Everything I've read about 'Wooly nylon' on this post, I totally agree with having used it myself, I find it's even better than some of the shop bought IT.

Has anyone actually done research on the exact materials used for IT sold
in magic shops.....is it possible some are exactly ¨wolly nylon¨. Just want to make sure since I cant tell apart from strings or threads, not to mention ïnvisible threads¨. I heard once that the IT is actually imported fine thread fro India, from a magic shop seller, of course.
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
418 Posts

Profile of daver
Well, I don't suspect any shop is going to tell you what thread they use exactly, because rest assured (and I surmise only here) that they buy the thread, strip it and they make a tidy profit on it, so why tell you?

My suggestion is look for a thread you like, and when you find it, don't worry about what everyone else is using. If it works for you, great. And if you find it has limitations as you grow or come up with different uses, find another. The Internet is a wonderful thing in that regard.
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
I'm going to go out on a bit of a limb here and recommend a different type of thread...

I prefer to use the Kevlar thread, as it's more like a mono filament than standard thread. Not exactly as thin, but the texture and the added tensil strength are a worthwhile trade-off. I have empty soda cans floating in my room using this stuff, and you can't see it... even in this terrible lighting.

Think about it...
Kevlar thread...
Kevlar bulletproof vests..
yep, one and the same.
Kinda.

My $0.02
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
653 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
I second the Kevlar I had someone walk into my hook up last year and it didn't break.
Believe you then that I do strange things
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Kevlar is the best if you ask me. Especially if you want to perform the hummer. It prevents the card from spinning away as most ITs snap too easily. you could perform it in daylight but I'm sure you know the prerequisites when using thread...
Will DThrill
View Profile
New user
South Jersey
69 Posts

Profile of Will DThrill
Where can you get Kevlar? I'm sure I can't find that at the local fabric shop Smile
This is my sig until I can get photobucket to work right Smile
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
It's a special order kinda thing, as far as I'm aware. Check out your local magic shop... if they don't have it, they can find it for you. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Invisible Thread (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL