The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Lines that help when something goes wrong (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
I used to do a lot of programs for substance abuse treatment..including in a maximum security prison...one I liked was related to Photios

God Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change..

In a magician gone seemingly wrong(magician in trouble) I still use it..sometimes changing the last line..
The courage to...

(anyone like to feel in the next few words with a funny ending...?
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
Go back in time and stop gravity ?
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
JHNelson
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
120 Posts

Profile of JHNelson
My favorite reponse when a trick goes wrong is this: "That could have been worse. My pants could have fallen down." I read it in a book on magic and I can't remember the author unfortuneately. I had a stacked deck routine go wrong one time and I just restacked it while looking through the deck. I thought for sure I was going to get busted but apparently no one noticed much and said it was a great effect.
James
magicoftomh
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, Ohio
3664 Posts

Profile of magicoftomh
I once performed at a Renaissance Fayre where the stage was a bit creaky. I took a step onto a loose board, and went DOWN. I fell onto my back, and it knocked the wind out of me. Simultaneously, I heard the wind go out of my audience. Somehow, I quickly sat up and shouted, "LIVE FROM NEW YORK...IT'S SATURDAY NIGHT!"

That flew right over the heads of the kids, but the parents got the Chevy Chase gag.
Here's hoping everything you do hits the BULLSEYE!

Tom Hornikel
http://tjhornikel.cjb.net
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Quote:
My favorite reponse when a trick goes wrong is this: "That could have been worse. My pants could have fallen down."
James

Love it! Thanks James.
From the Encouraging Magic of...

Tony Thomas

www.magictonythomas.com
socalmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
267 Posts

Profile of socalmagic
After 1000's of shows, I can say that mistakes happen all the time. 99% of the time, if you don't say anything, then the audience won't notice. A few might catch on, but most will not.

If there is a huge, glaring mistake, then it is best to defuse it with a joke. One line I've used is, "I never liked that darn trick anyway." One time my head chopper totally malfunctioned and the entire audience clearly saw it. I just joked with the volunteer about their safety having her head in this piece of junk throughout the rest of the routine. The audience was in hysterics by the end of the routine because they were truly scared that it would not work (me too!).

Incidentally, I had a major potential client watching the show. I thought I blew it, but later when she booked she said that it was hilarious, and after being blown away with all the other magic, it was nice to know that there actually is a trick involved. Not that I want my audience leran magic grom my mistakes, but things happen. The way you handle it separates the amateurs from the pros.
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Quote:
On 2008-05-02 17:42, JHNelson wrote:
My favorite reponse when a trick goes wrong is this: "That could have been worse. My pants could have fallen down."
James

That's hilarious!
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
jocdoc
View Profile
Inner circle
Carlsbad, CA
1181 Posts

Profile of jocdoc
Aldo Colombini put out some hysterical small books devoted to this subject including:

Life Saver Lines
First Aid Lines
(and many more)

I picked them up during his recent lecture at our ring and they're filled with gems for all occasions. Great deal for $10. You can find at http://www.wildcolombini.com/cart/index.php?cPath=3

jeff in san diego
Life is an improv. The game goes on...
RichardShure
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of RichardShure
Now this is what we call in the magic business "A Mistake". Good Thing this time nothing happened. Last time the entire front row of the audience turned into Frogs. Now, don't you feel lucky?

Richard S
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
Socalmagic, I once had a head chopper fall apart on stage. I had forgotten about that. I was performing in front of a large church group and had the pastor in it at the time. The whole "thing" fell out and onto the ground. I let the pastor out and said, "That's the last time I buy anything from magictricks.com."

It got a laugh but it was still embarrassing.

I'm mostly a juggler so we must confront our mistakes. They are so obvious. We have just enough jokes to get us through a really tough show before we run out. After one particularly rough show a guest asked me if the mistakes were on purpose, in order to tell all the jokes? I laughed and said I didn't even know.

Ted
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
There are 3 main causes of mistakes in my performance so I simply tell the audience the truth of which was to blame - either global warming, the Iraq war or rising fuel prices.

Destiny
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
"Oh !@#$." They always just love that. Even the adult shows.

bobser
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
C'mon...that's not what I wrote!!!!!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
chicagoharry
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of chicagoharry
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
This past weekend I had mouth coils continue breaking (in two back to back shows) and it was difficult to get them started again from inside my mouth.....each time I ended up pulling the whole wad of coil from my mouth, extracting the balance of the multi-colored paper from the wad by hand while exclaiming: "That trick worked perfectly in rehearsal"....and then just moved on to the next segment of the effect. It got a laugh and since it was a small part of the overall effect, I don't think anyone thought much of it......

I sometimes use: "You folks deserve better than that" while tossing the props in my case and moving on to the next trick.
magicoftomh
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, Ohio
3664 Posts

Profile of magicoftomh
I've only had that happen once or twice in the years I've performed Mouth Coils. I've been tempted to keep a Super Mouth Coil in easy reach on my table to blow that trick away when it went wrong. But, I've mentally argued that a problem that occurs once a decade does not exactly rationalize bringing out the same prop for every show...it would probably fail due to abuse.
Here's hoping everything you do hits the BULLSEYE!

Tom Hornikel
http://tjhornikel.cjb.net
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of impossible man
Quote:
On 2008-05-02 10:01, Harris wrote:
God Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change..

In a magician gone seemingly wrong(magician in trouble) I still use it..sometimes changing the last line..
The courage to...

(anyone like to feel in the next few words with a funny ending...?

How about "...still ask for the check after the show is over?"

I also use a line in close up work when I drop something "You'd never know I do sleight of hand. If I don't practice it I can't do it."

Stoneunhinged, I don't see how saying "Hey that sucked" is different from the original line. I know a top performer here who says "I can explain that...I'm not very good."

Houdini wrote "Well, Ladies and Gentlemen, mistakes will happen, and that is one of them."
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
"That was part of the act." (the audience starts to laugh know I'm joking) "See, it made all of you laugh. That's what it was all about."
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I also always liked to cover up the mic with my hand and say into it (while looking towards back stage).. "Ok Start the truck!". It always got a laugh.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Awesome One
View Profile
Regular user
Gold Coast, Australia
174 Posts

Profile of The Awesome One
Quote:
I know a top performer here who says "I can explain that...I'm not very good."

that's great I'm going to use that.
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Lines that help when something goes wrong (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL