The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Music, Ego and Satan... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
As I get more involved with Gospel Illusion and Gospel Music...my wife an I have conversations to keep it for God and not my ego. (edging God out)

Last night after I got positive comments about my music, she asked me if I knew Satan was a fallen angel who was involved in music. (Singing or playing, we didn't know).

I looked for any references in our bible..(will check the concordance when we find it as it is packed for moving).

Does anyone know any verses that actually talk about this...?

Thanks in advance.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
I remember something from Confirmation about Satan being the "Shielding Angel" that stood before God so the other angels would not seeing him in his full Glory. After a while though, Satan thought the angels were worshiping him, not God. This lead him to become the devil we know of today.

Correct me if I am wrong, or please let me know of any other stories like this. That is just something I recall from my class.

Danton
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Actually, the Bible tells us very little about the origins of Satan. There have been some Bible scholars who have pieced together various different passages to tell the story of a rebellion and banishment in Heaven. However, this is not explicitly recorded.

Here is one verse that comes to mind.

"How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning!"(Isaiah 14:12)KJV
This verse might sound plain enough, except the term lucifer means "light-bringer" and probably refers to the morning star. Outside of this text, the word lucifer has no biblical connection with the devil. Isaiah goes on describing a ruler's pride and his fall.

"You said in your heart, 'I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God...I will make myself like the Most High.'But you are brought down to Sheol, to the depths of the Pit" (verses 13-15)

This would seem to fit the picture we have of Satan, especially with the addition of Jesus' statement in Luke 10: 18. "I watched Satan fall from heaven like a flash of lightning". But, it is believed that Isaiah was referring to the king of Babylon. There are however, many prophetic passages that have multiple meanings, so it's also possible that "Lucifer" could also be the devil. It's only fitting to note that most of our assumptions about Satan's story is owed to Milton's epic poem 'Paradise Lost' and not the Bible.

So, in answer to your question. No, there is nowhere in the Bible that says that.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Angels singing is also something you won't find in the bible, but is a common misconception...
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Thanks to all that have shared...

Any others with information?
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2407 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Much of what we "think we know" about Satan is a later invention - Milton and Dante. Great literature, but you don't want to be basing life decisions on it as you would on what's actually biblical.
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
I know that Ezekiel 28:13-19 talks about Satan. The first few verses talk about the "leader" of Tyre and then 13-18 talk about the "king" of Tyre. Verses 13-19 have to be talking about Satan because the King of Tyre wasn't in Eden...
At Ease Tees - Christian apparel and other items!
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1744 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2008-04-29 12:09, Harris wrote:
Last night after I got positive comments about my music, she asked me if I knew Satan was a fallen angel who was involved in music.(singing or playing we didn't know)

Maybe she's confusing this with the oft-quoted statement, "When Satan fell, he landed in the choir loft."

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
EZ 28:13 is believed to be a description of Lucifer and the reference to "pipes" refers to voice or music. Some teach that Lucifer was the lead worshiper in heaven. But that is the verse where they draw this from.

I hope this helps.

Bishop Terry M. Owens...
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Very true Terry. I thought I would post the scripture.

Eze 28:13 You have been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was your covering, the ruby, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the turquoise, and the emerald, and gold. The workmanship of your tambourines and of your flutes was prepared in you in the day that you were created. MKJV

CLARK-Ezekiel 28 -
The first part of this chapter relates to a King of Tyre, probably the same who is called in the Phoenician annals Ithobalus. He seems to have been a vain man, who affected Divine honors. The prophet treats his foolish pretensions with severe irony, and predicts his doom, Eze_28:1-10. He then takes up a funeral dirge and lamentation over him, in which his former pomp and splendor are finely contrasted with his fall, in terms that seem frequently to allude to the fall of Lucifer from heaven, (Isaiah 14), Eze_28:11-19. The overthrow of Sidon, the mother city of Tyre, is next announced, Eze_28:20-23; and the chapter concludes with a promise to the Jews of deliverance from all their enemies, and particularly of their restoration from the Babylonish captivity, Eze_28:24-26.

I got this from Clark's Commentary. I think it's good to see how both sides wieght in. You either believe it's about Satan or you believe it was about the King of Tyre. I'm still kind of on the fence about it. At least until I can find supportive scripture that will back up my opinion that God was speaking about both. Smile
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
I'm not sure that you will. It's funny how much of what "the Bible says" isn't there if the text is considered without reading pre-conceived theologies into it.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Very true John. That's why I thought I would provide the scripture and the commentary about it. I have about 3 other commentaries which pretty much say the same thing. It once made for a great Bible study I had a couple of years ago. The topic was Satan, who he is and where he came from. It was interresting to discover that not much about him is mentioned in the Bible, or at least his origin. Most of what we hear about Satan comes from other literture and not the Bible.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
As an aside...I am thinking about adding the

Denomination Blues by Washington Phillips
to a vent routine..

This verse applies..
(G) - (C) - (D)
(G) I wanna tell you people it's a nat'ral fact
Ev'ry man don't understand the Bible alike
And that's (C) all, I tell you that's (G) all
'Cause you better have (D) Jesus
I tell you that's (G) all

Ry Cooder made it popular in the 60's?
Buddy Greene has a video on several sites of him singing it.

one of my favorites is

Well, you can to your college, you can go to your school
But if you ain't got Jesus, you'se (you are) an educated fool
And that's all, I'll tell you that's all
'Cause you better have Jesus
I tell you that's all

Shalom,

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Prayers would be appreciated as I got an email from our Church's Praise and Worship Band to join them in tonights rehearsal. (not to join but to add to on an occassion.)
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
The group invited me to sit in this Sunday for Mother's Day.

As part of the Worship service...

Let the Redeemed of the Lord Say So

Every Day and

From the Inside Out

are a few of the songs we will be sharing during Praise and Worship...

Praise God...
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Music, Ego and Satan... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL