The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Jeff McBride - Magic At The Edge (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Magic CPA
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Magic CPA
Quote:
On 2008-05-05 18:45, MagicBrent wrote:
I'll be happy to see the thumb through the ear. I assume this is from Mac King's book and I could never understand the directions on how to do it (of what it looks like).

There's photos of Jeff and a write-up of this trick in Tom Ogden's new book "Complete Idiot's Guide to Street Magic". I still find it hard to follow though.
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
The thumb through the ear blew me away when I saw it on the DVDs and it's very easy to follow his teaching of the effect. It will take just a few minutes to get the moves down and it's something you'll always have ready to go.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more buzz about this DVD set. The production is completely different from other L&L DVDs (hint, hint for all of you who complain about the same L&L audiences)and the material is extremely practical. There are several effects that I've already started doing.

I really got more out of this set than I did the Bob Sheets DVDs. There's a ton of material here - not only magic, but theory, bonus performance footage and Eugene Burger.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13146 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
It could be that the reason no one is talking about them much is, they have not arrived yet. You may be the only one who actually has these in hand. Smile

The latest update on my order (placed May 2nd) was to expect them to be shipping in ~ 10 days. This message was received last Friday.

Tony
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1545 Posts

Profile of Markymark
They are a good solid set.I like them a lot.
Jeff McBride is one of a kind and I love an insight [as well as some good tricks]
into his world and his thinking.
Every magician on the planet is going to be sticking their thumb through their ear soon!
The bonus extras are bits from Jeff's stageshow and a show reel type promo.
Other highlights for me were his stargazer handling,his card to wallet and all the footage from the Burning man festival.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
Has anyone written a review of this set this yet?

I would like to ask is, are all the effects in this set for close up /parlor instead of stage? Please don't get me wrong by saying this. I am always enjoyed to watch McBride does manipulation even myself never have done it before.

so I juts reckon it will be a nice set for close up magicians. cheers guys

Bob
Best Regards,

Bob
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1545 Posts

Profile of Markymark
It is mostly close up with some parlour type effects.
You have read the table of contents on various dealers websites have'nt you?
It is not a must have set but it is very,very good.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
Thanks Mark, I have read from my dearler's description but I don't think they mentioned much it's for close up until I watched the trailer. Having watched the water supension I m sure there are definately something I can learn from and add to my knowledge.

Cheers
Best Regards,

Bob
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
TOPS Magic has a great price on this set ( $71.95 and free shipping in the U.S.) and Canada ):

http://www.topsmagic.com/topshop/product......73c72b17
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3115 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Anyone else have a review for this set?
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3115 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I liked the "Bead and String Mystery" from the demo. Does anybody know the origins of this effect? Looks cool.
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
855 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
Thanks for the "heads up" Christopher.

Hennessey
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn

GerryHennessey.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I love Jeff's work. I'm selling stuff to get this and some upcoming releases. What a year this is turning out to be for close-up magic!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1116 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Rick,

Re: Bead and String trick - It is otherwise known as "Ritual of Liberation" and is based on the Judah shoelace routine. Typical of Jeff to comeup with a fine esoteric presentation for this!!

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1792 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I had seen McBrides lecture 24/7 magicians two times so the first DVD I was mainly just yawning... There wasnt really exciting for me and the all hyped McWallet that was supposed to be fooler was in my opinion just another card to wallet and I caught both of the loads. Its rather good routine but nothing remarkable. I was rather disapointed on this set... Thoughts on other effect on this dvd

DISC 1: MAGICIAN 24/7

EFFECTS
TRIBAL PIERCING - This is ok, if your into geeg magic. Looks nice and easy to do but seriously, I think most people seeing this would figure it out easily.

MAGIC WISHING RAINBOW - Rainbow streamer from TT... I just think this is very lame.

RAINBOW TO DOLLAR - Pretty much same thing as above. For some reason I think that presenting silk rainbow as "real magic" is ridicilious.

WISHING RAINBOW/RAINBOW TO ROSE - And same effect 3rd time...

MAGIC BUBBLES - Nice idea but no explanation where to get bubbles that don't burst...

HINDU ROPE / RISING CARD - Most angly rising card trick EVER! Maybe doable to one or two spectator, dead on and you have to stand like 4 feet away from em directly infront. Waste of time

THE BEAD & STRING MYSTERY - This is rather nice, but its been on childrens books for what I know of

WORLD’S FASTEST HANDS - The idea behind this was nice, but I would substitu all tegniques for better ones. Its obious that McBride isn't close-up worker...

NO SMOKING - don't have much to say about this. Adding sucker effect and stop smoking add into vanishing chigarette.

THE POD BELT - Why would anyone carry HUGE belt with him just to be able to do magic?!!? Shoudnt the idea of being 24/7 magician mean that you can do magic with anything. NOT TO CARRY EVERYTHING YOU HAVE on your belt Smile

Vol.2 had some really good points on straightjacket escape and it showed what Gary Plants magnetic card is so I can personally now try Michael Closes routine on it, cos its lightyears ahead of McBrides routine. Also the ending with weird candy box was nice, but its been on magic magazine. Other than that the second dvd was also just yawning.

VOL 2

HOUDINI STRAIGHTJACKET - AbbSome very nice thoughts about this that everyone doing this escape should know.

THE MAGNETIC CARDS - Routine is horrible but you get to see Plants gimmicked card for this so I know finally what I am ordering.

HEART CONNECTION - Scarney two card transposition with nice presentation.

PRISNA’S DANCING CANE - The evolution and revolution of the dancing cane in pop culture and how it has become part of juggling communities (performance only).

THE SHARK FIN PIN - Looked extremely good but doesn't work with any cloth and is risky on some borrowed cloths... Hmmm... I pass

SAMINA’S “INTO GOLD” - Good for maybe bizarre performers. Piece of led changes into piece of gold in spectators hand. Requires you to buy one rather common gimmick, but it costs around 30$ I think

TRASH TO TREASURE - Batman belt in work... Looked horrible in my opinion

BUSINESS CARD CONNECTION - Come on... Who hasnt thought of this before. Magically producing business card with "manipulation tegnique" YAWN

I havent had the time to watch the 3rd one yet, but to be honest, I didn't find anything from the first 2 that I would wanna use. There is few decent ideas but so far nothing that would give me my moneys worth. For me McBride still remains mainly as manipulator and stage magician and close-up isn't his thing. Thoughts on the routines
patrick66
View Profile
Veteran user
The Netherlands
384 Posts

Profile of patrick66
Phew, that's a pretty negative review. Can you tell me why you think that wishing rainbow is lame? I thought it would be a pretty little routine to do for some people. Remember that this is Jeff's most performed effect ever.
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2008-05-26 08:59, korttihai_82 wrote:

THE BEAD & STRING MYSTERY - This is rather nice, but its been on childrens books for what I know of

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

For me McBride still remains mainly as manipulator and stage magician and close-up isn't his thing. Thoughts on the routines

So what "children's books" on magic have you seen the bead & string effect? I started doing this effect after seeing it and it's always in my pocket.

Interesting review, however I had the complete opposite reaction to the set. Honestly I'm not a big McBride fan. I've seen his stage show live a few times and it just wasn't my cup of tea. However I was really impressed with this DVD set.

Jeff's use of the rainbow streamers is great! While his presentation of it isn't my style, the use of the effect is wonderful and can easily be adapted (isn't that what's it's all about anyway?) Also his use of the streamer in the water suspension on V3 is a great addition to Burger's routine.

There's a lot more to this set than just the effects. Jeff, Abbey & Eugene provide a lot of inspiration for taking standard magic (& often over looked magic)and turning those effects into real mysteries.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13146 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
My set is still on order, they have been for 24 days (had I ordered from L&L I would have had them weeks ago, live and learn. Smile )

I'm not sure if the business card production is the same, but Jeff showed me a bare handed production of a business card about 10 years ago. I've been doing a variation of it since, it is easy and gets gasps. If this is the same one, I cannot understand the negative reaction.

From what I've seen on the sample video, much of what is shown is "Metaphoric Magic" or "Parable Magic" (my classification of magic designed to express or teach a point or lesson as well as entertain, akin to what some call Gospel Magic). But still not having seen the set yet, I cannot really say.

Tony
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Quote:
On 2008-05-26 10:00, patrick66 wrote:
Phew, that's a pretty negative review. Can you tell me why you think that wishing rainbow is lame? I thought it would be a pretty little routine to do for some people. Remember that this is Jeff's most performed effect ever.

I can't speak for the person who said that he thought this was lame, nevertheless I kind of feel the same way about this trick. I haven't seen these dvds but I have seen Jeff perform this effect both live and on another video. It may work for Jeff but I am not sure about the whole "magician 24/7" thing. If I was a busy waiter and had someone come up to me asking me about my dreams, pulling out rainbow silks, etc. I might be inclined to think that the person doing these things is a little bit strange... and wasting my time rather than giving me a "gift".

I find that a lot of magicians don't know when to put their props down! But that just may be me.
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
I'll repeat what I said above, that the presentation for the streamer can be (and should be) adapted to fit YOUR personality & presentation style. The same can be said for when you perform it. While Jeff may live the Magician 24/7 lifestyle, most of us do not, however whether you do or don't, has no connection to using this effect which does make a fun give-a-way. The beads & string make a great give-a-way as well.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5770 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
If I was a busy waiter and had someone come up to me asking me about my dreams, pulling out rainbow silks, etc. I might be inclined to think that the person doing these things is a little bit strange... and wasting my time rather than giving me a "gift".

That is not the definition of Magician 24/7, but I agree there are way too many magicians out there who don't know when it is appropriate and when it is not. Magician 24/7 has more to do with always being prepared and seeing the magic opportunities around you.

I missed one just yesterday casually chatting with a family who were out celebrating the same day birthday of a father and daughter. I was stuck in my own little world of finishing up where I was and getting to where I needed to be next. Sometimes we forget we need to "be" right where we are before we can go anywhere... if you get my drift. Who knows what bookings were right there. You must be both mentally as well as physically prepared. AND remember that just because you CAN do magic doesn't mean you SHOULD do magic.

That is one of the greater messages I got at this shoot.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Jeff McBride - Magic At The Edge (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL