The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Oxidation on copper cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dave McFarland
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, OR
184 Posts

Profile of Dave McFarland
I just got a set of copper cups and the are some small spots of oxidation (green spots) on the cups. Should I remove those--can they harm the cups? If so, how?

thanks
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Get a can of Brasso.

Works great...

or if you can find it.. a product called Tarn-X
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
Yes - take all of it off with the TarnX to a consistent shine. Then, by handling them they will patina evenly - the more you handle the quicker they will patina....
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Both Brasso and Tarn-x works well, but I prefer a product called "Nevr-Dull"; it has the best shine IMO of the three products and works great on coins, brass and copper.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
What you have on those cups is called "verdigris." Nev-r-dull will take it off, but only with great effort. Tarn-X will get rid of it faster.

Before you use anything, degrease the cups by washing them with a detergent and water, then using the tarn-x on them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2134 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
To add my 2 cents. Becareful using any petroleum based polishing agent or acidic based cleaning agent. The reason I mention this is because if you have a set of MM cups the base agents ie petroleum could could an adverse reaction with the crummy alloys mixed with the copper, one day the cups will shine and the next have black specks or blotches.

Copper cups, even the older Paul Fox, Miller, Bertram cups were all high grade machinable copper, however other cheaper cups do not hold up to the standards of the highend cups.

Jake
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's exactly right. In fact, if you do use Tarn-x, or even vinegar, on any of the cheaper cups, make sure that you neutralize the acid with a solution of baking soda and water.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I always get confused and mix my vinegar with the baking soda! Smile
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I get confused and use creamy ranch.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Dave McFarland
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, OR
184 Posts

Profile of Dave McFarland
Thanks,

I used Tarn-X and that did it. They weren't MM cups, an old set of Love Cups, so I imagine that the copper's good quality.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2134 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Very good quality copper there Smile
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Nashville
660 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Maas, Maas, Maas! Amazing stuff and I love it!
-DJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Oxidation on copper cups (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL