The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » New book out from Hermetic Press (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
From my favourite book company is a new book out due may 30, about performing magic for children.
"Paths to Enchantment", by Malcolm Yaffe, price $40.00
For more info see Hermetic Press' homesite http://www.hermeticpress.com/

As of all books from Hermetic Press this is a must have.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Most children’s magicians depend on props to entertain their audiences. Readers of books on the subject of children’s magic expect to find detailed accounts of tricks and routines. While PATHS TO ENCHANTMENT has plenty of these, its central purpose is to set out in the form of a blueprint a method to enable readers to improve and devise their own routines.

The majority of children’s entertainers are so obsessed with obtaining and trying out the latest innovation that they seldom search within themselves and discover what new ideas they can apply to props they already possess. One block to such personal invention is the lack of a systematic structure the performer can apply to the task, a foundation on which to develop entertaining ideas from the subconscious.

PATHS TO ENCHANTMENT is believed to be the first cohesive attempt to analyze those aspects of a successful performance that give pleasure to children. Malcolm Yaffe, a veteran of children’s magic with more than thirty years’ experience in the field, has identified and defined eleven essential techniques on which to build fresh and successful presentations for the tricks you already own—

* THEY SEE, YOU DON’T * THE FRUSTRATED WIZARD * FANTASIZING * ANIMATION * BUSINESS, PARTICIPATION, INVOLVEMENT * THE MISCHIEF-MAKER * THE SUCCESS FACTOR * ADD-ONS AND COMPATIBILITY * STORYTELLING * CHAOS * EMOTIONAL APPEALS

After explaining each technique, he illustrates how it is applied, using dozens of examples drawn from his professional repertoire, among which are several prize-winning routines and presentations. Included are Yaffe’s imaginative redressings of such classics as—

* FORGETFUL FREDDIE * FANTASTIC FRAME * THE MULTIPLYING WANDS * ROPE TO SILK * THE CHAIR SUSPENSION * THE MUTILATED SUNSHADE * THE EGG BAG * THE GUNG HO PRODUCTION BOX * THE LIGHT AND HEAVY GLASS * THE GIANT AND THE DWARF * CRAZY COMPASS * THE LINKING RINGS * and many more

Also revealed are completely original utility props and tricks, such as—

* THE SKELETON HAND IN WAND * FLY ON LAPEL * MARVIN THE WATCH-REPAIRING MOUSE * THE MAGIC CARD SHOP * THE SKULL FROM BUCKET * THE MULTIPLYING WAND BOX

Clear and engaging in its unique approach, PATHS TO ENCHANTMENT maps out the routes necessary to arrive at a higher level of success and professionalism for those who entertain children or who wish to do so. Its content breaks exciting new ground by giving children’s magicians and clowns a step-by-step system designed to help them discover their own creative talents and increase the intensity of entertainment in their performances.

255 pages in deluxe hardcover.

$40.00 - expected to ship around May 30.
Heygeno
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Heygeno
Does anyone have any information on Malcolm Yaffe?

Thanks
Gene
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
Quote:
On 2008-05-24 20:43, Heygeno wrote:
Does anyone have any information on Malcolm Yaffe?

Thanks
Gene

Malcolm Yaffe has a bald head and a big beard - in both looks and approach he's rather like the Eugene Burger of children's magic! He's definitely not from the school of children's magic that involves talking in a silly voice and saying "aren't I a silly sausage" a lot.

I've never seen him perform for the public, but I have seen him lecture on children's magic. He's really analysed it and takes quite a deep scholarly approach to the subject. He's not an obvious performer but I found it to be a fascinating lecture even though I don't do children's shows. I would expect this to be a very interesting book.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
A message from Hermetic Press arrived in my e-mail box today:

"Just a note to inform you that our new book on performing magic for children, PATHS TO ENCHANTMENT, is expected to arrive here tomorrow, and we will be fulfilling your orders immediately. If you have been waiting for it to hit the street before placing your order, your time has come.

PATHS TO ENCHANTMENT clearly and engagingly maps out the routes necessary to arrive at a higher level of success and professionalism for those who entertain children or who wish to do so. Its content breaks exciting new ground by giving children’s magicians and clowns a step-by-step system designed to help them discover their own creative talents and increase the intensity of entertainment in their performances.

255 pages in deluxe hardcover.

$40.00 - expected to ship TOMMORROW."
Richard Hatch
View Profile
Regular user
Logan Utah
127 Posts

Profile of Richard Hatch
We got our shop copies in stock two days ago...
Richard Hatch
www.HatchAcademy.com
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
As soon that I hear Hermetic Press is comming out with a new book I pre-order almost at once after I have heard with Stephen what the book is about.
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
This is available at http://www.themagicwarehouse.com

Jeff
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
Magicgeek
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Magicgeek
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
C'mon guys. Buy it from Hermetic Press and skip the middle man.

I recieved my copy Saturday and am only a few pages into it but it seems quite good so far.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I recived my copy today. And I also agree with Payne to buy it from Hermetic Press.
Tyler
View Profile
Regular user
St. Louis
170 Posts

Profile of Tyler
Minch is fantastic and as with any book published, it always seems to be more about the magic than the $. I've never been disappointed with any of my Hermetic Press releases. Thanks Mr. Minch!

Mike
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Got mine ordered!
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » New book out from Hermetic Press (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL