The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What to tell people about your coins... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CSStanton
View Profile
Loyal user
Suttons Bay, MI
228 Posts

Profile of CSStanton
When I am doing a coin routine. I am asked at the conclusion where I get the coins I have. I use 1940 Walking Liberty Halfs and Morgan Peace Dollars. I think that some story on how I aquired them is a lot better than "Well, I got 'em from a coin shop in town. Bite 'em. They is real silver." Sounds way too 'cheap' to me. I need a good story. Any one have any ideas?
What about with the amature coin man who tells you to put your coins in a box and watch them as their price grows because they are so nice. I want to use my coins, not look at them. What do I say?
Thanks for the input.
-Casey
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Casey, here is one that might work for you: 'My teacher gave them to me when I learned to do this routine'. Other folks don't say anything. Some just say 'these are my coins for doing magic' and leave it at that. Folks seem to take half dollars and silver dollars for granted if you treat them as coins.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
You tell people it's a half dollar, a 50 cent piece, a silver coin (emphasis on the last phrase). Smile
Click to visit:
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I have created a mythical Grandfather who had a small magic show that toured the Pacific between the wars. I aquired a lot of my props and routines from him which explains old coins and funky looking props.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
Quote:
On 2003-03-20 23:08, CSStanton wrote:
What about with the amature coin man who tells you to put your coins in a box and watch them as their price grows because they are so nice. I want to use my coins, not look at them. What do I say?

You could say that you tried that but magic coins won't stay in the box. You could do a "Two in the hand, one in the pocket" or something similar, while you explain.
CSStanton
View Profile
Loyal user
Suttons Bay, MI
228 Posts

Profile of CSStanton
Thanks Magix, and the rest. I like the idea of spinning it off as a trick. Maybe... if I get real good, I can do the Harris' P.M.C.M. in both hands and say they're antigravitational coins.
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
CSStanton...you know your pic in the avatar is messed up?

Chris
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
When I use 1921 Silver Morgans, I tell people they were given to me by my dad.

They were minted the same year he was born.

Dad was always very supportive of my nearly normal magic. He is now in the big theatre in the sky.

When I use my Australian Coins, I link them to one of local University whose mascots are the Roo's (Kanger that is)

When I use my Franklin Halves I compare Ben's receeding hairline with my own. Then I do the gag of pulling a hair and pretending to tie it on the coin prior to making it jump sideways and then up.
I pause and say, I know what you are thinking, I've done this trick a lot.

My nearly normal point is to find something that fits you, your surrounding/place of performance. In that way IMHO you can connect more with your audience by giving them a piece of you not just tricks.

If they like you, they will like your magic.(just my 2 Morgans) Smile

I used to want to be known as a coin guy.
Now I want to be known as an audience guy.

You are appreciated by,

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Scott Nettles
View Profile
New user
Phoenix Az
28 Posts

Profile of Scott Nettles
I like to explain that I received the coins from my grandfather a long time ago when he showed me how the Skyhook Smile worked. I then perform a version of Hanging Coins, in effect explaining to the audience how the hook works. I try to present it not as a trick but kind of a scientific demonstration. At the end some people don't know if they've just been shown a trick or some little known scientific quirk.

The grandpa idea is kinda old hat but it makes for a touching story and people like that.

I'm a bartender in Phoenix and if I approach spectators and want to explain the coins, I simply say "I received these coins as a tip last night and I found they have some unusual qualities". I then roll into any effect I would like to perform. This works very well for me because most of my customers don't know I perform coin magic, so when I start performing for them it's a real shock. Hope this helps.

Thanks Scott Smile
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
I am not asked. When I introduce the coins (unless it's in the middle of a routine), I don't even hint that I will be using them for an effect.

I use only Franklin Halves with the date of my birth. When I take them out, I talk about that very fact, and how I have saved these from my childhood. I talk about how they sparkle and ring much better than the newer coins. Some people want to hear them or see them (usually the younger crowd who has never handled a real silver coin). If they want, I let them, although, honestly, most people just accept what I way. After the nostalgia about the 50's, I do magic with the coins, usually talking about the magical properties of pure metals" like silver, copper, and gold.

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What to tell people about your coins... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL