The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Joshua Jay - Talk about Trick (Ten for Ten) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Fingers_Fidge
View Profile
Regular user
England
123 Posts

Profile of Fingers_Fidge
I recently saw Joshua Jay lecture at the Circle in London a most enjoyable lecture. Aftwards Joshua did some impromptu Close up, one of the effects was the effect where he gets a spec to deal out a number of cards and then at the end reveals the top card of each pile being the same a 4 spot. He mentioned it was on his latest DVD's Talk about Tricks, however this is performance only. This seems to be Yves Doumergue effect and was published in a french version of Joshua's column. There was an e-mail address has anyone been able to obtain any instructions for this effect, is it available to buy.

Cheers
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I love this trick too -- it's probably the most annoying of the generally annoying "performance only" segments of the otherwise good "Talk about Tricks" DVDs. I remember when Doug Nicols (where has he been?) posted his mammoth review he said he was going to email Yves, whose email address comes up on the screen, to find out how to obtain the trick. I did the same but got no response. It would appear that the trick is in the September, 2003 issue of "Magic," but that issue is sold out. Maybe your post will stir up some interest and we'll find out where to obtain this routine.
Fingers_Fidge
View Profile
Regular user
England
123 Posts

Profile of Fingers_Fidge
I have certainly found a lot of mentions of the effect but no one who has actually obtained a copy. However, if this was in September 2003 edition of Magic it shouldn't be hard to track down. The Magic Circle has a full set of Magic Magazines so I should be able to find the specific effect. I was under the misunderstanding that this was issued as a french only item (which would make sense).

Thanks for the Info. Will report back on my search.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
This is one of the best effects ever created, however, I find it plays better to Magicians than laymen. I have only performed it a couple of times to a lay audience, but the reactions have never matched that of a Magician audience
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
When I googled I found that the September, 2003 issue of magic is a French-themed issue with a contribution by Yves. I couldn't find a TOC, however, so it's possible that the contribution is not "Ten for Ten." I'm just guessing it is.
Xpilot
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
464 Posts

Profile of Xpilot
Ten For Ten is (one of the) contributions in the September 2003 issue of Magic.
Fingers_Fidge
View Profile
Regular user
England
123 Posts

Profile of Fingers_Fidge
Thanks for the update guys I will be searching out the back copy of Magic very soon.

Cheers
Yves Doumergue
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of Yves Doumergue
HI,

In fact this trick and the concepts behind it has little brothers and sisters. I'm actually finishing a pamphlet on this concept with 3 effects :
10 for 10
20 for 20
10966910 (this one really hurts)

This pampllet is delayed by my new trick MAYAN . So I'll keep you informed.

Thanks for your warm comments on the effect.

Yves
Yves DOUMERGUE.

[email]yves@bluesource.fr[/email]
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Quote:
On 2008-05-06 18:18, Yves Doumergue wrote:
HI,

In fact this trick and the concepts behind it has little brothers and sisters. I'm actually finishing a pamphlet on this concept with 3 effects :
10 for 10
20 for 20
10966910 (this one really hurts)

This pampllet is delayed by my new trick MAYAN . So I'll keep you informed.

Thanks for your warm comments on the effect.

Yves

Wow! Looking forward to it Yves!
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
693 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
I bought the CD-ROM version of Ripped And Restored from Hank Lee a few years ago, which included as a bonus, a performance and explanation of Ten for Ten.

I'm not sure if it is still available, since Yves later released Ripped And Restored as a DVD which doesn't (as far as I'm aware) include Ten for Ten.

Hope this helps.

It's a great effect and well worth tracking down.

Iain.
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
This is actually based on a very old principle (I think I've seen Eugene Burger do some kind of prediction effect with two cards with it), but Yves has taken it a bit further down the impossibility road. If you watch the effect a couple times you should be able to reverse engineer it. I performed this for awhile and got really nice reactions. There are some gambits I'm sure Yves discusses if the spectator's deal doesn't go exactly as planned, but I kind of worked those out as I went along. Reminds me of Jennings' Prefiguration routine.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I can reverse engineer some of it, but the very aspects of the trick that I think caused it to be referred to by Christopher Williams, above, as something of a trick for magicians are what throw me off. I'd probably do better if I saw two different performances of it rather than one twice.

It's funny, because there are certainly other tricks I can do that would be quite similar in the layman's eyes. A good "Spectator Cuts the Aces" is just as amazing, "Out of this World" is statistically much more so, and I remember seeing a similar effect with a very different methodology by Alan Ackerman, that uses the Prophecy move for two of the cards. But the spec shuffles and little convincers all add nice touches to this routine.

This thread reminded me about this trick, and I found a Magic, Sept. 2003 on eBay, but perhaps I'll wait for Yves booklet for the suped-up versions.
baou1986
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of baou1986
I have the explanation video for ten for then.But the method doesn't work for every layman.
What I know is,it doesn't work for asia layman,it is not a asia layman style to let it works.
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
Quote:
On 2008-05-11 09:56, baou1986 wrote:
What I know is,it doesn't work for asia layman,it is not a asia layman style to let it works.

That is a poor speculation. In fact, most of my audience are asians and I have been performing this to very great success! I guess the outcome of an effect depends more on the performer than the modus operandi of the trick.

My 2 NT's,
Charles
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1524 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Which disc is the performance on talk about tricks?
I couldn't find it....?
houston_3721
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of houston_3721
Quote:
On 2008-05-24 14:20, matt.magicman wrote:
Which disc is the performance on talk about tricks?
I couldn't find it....?

Disc 1.

I can't stress how badly I want to learn it when I first saw the performance in the DVD.
please pardon my English
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
It seems clear to me, unless I'm missing something, that this can be reverse engineered. But perhaps, for the sake of cleanliness, it may be easier to go into another routine if it doesn't work out right at the beginning. It DOES play better for magicians - lay people kind of expect stuff like this, I find. I personally think it's a great routine, and I think it was one of the best effects on the Joshua Jay disc (1).

I caught his lecture at Davenposrts, London, last week, and I'm pleased to say it was one of the best lectures I've seen - great effects - great performance & explanations, and a nice sense of humour. And as an added bonus - he didn't spit when he talks!

Regards,

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
Antoine_magicien
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Antoine_magicien
Do anyone has the pamphlet written by Yves Doumergue containing the 3 effects :
10 for 10
20 for 20

if you have it, please contact me
magicphill
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of magicphill
I could be wrong but I think this was only ever talked about and not actually released. If you can track down the original magazine though this is a nice little routine that's easy to pull off
Phatmeat
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, Maryland
748 Posts

Profile of Phatmeat
I managed to track down a performance video of Yves Doumergue's "Ten for Ten" effect as performed by Joshua Jay on his L&L Talk About Tricks DVD set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB5YOrYWpbw
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Joshua Jay - Talk about Trick (Ten for Ten) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL