The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help with One Trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gtwosaints
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of gtwosaints
Well, it's not really trick but a double lift. I need help fooling people with it. I usually just perform a double lift, show them the card, place the top card in the middle of the deck, snap my finger and it's magically on top. People in my school are impossibly difficult to trick because they try to exploit everything. Some of them figured the trick out and I have to deny that they got it right. Does anyone have a trick or a routine I could use after they say I picked up two cards to prove them wrong?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
This is the problem many newbies face, performing when they don't know enough to perform yet. If you only know one move the dl, then you probably should't be doing card trick for your peers just yet, especially when you are going to repeat the same move over and over. You need more misdirection, which comes from the patter, total handling of the audience and the cards plus other moves. Get a good card book like Royal Road to Card Magic, or Card College and start learning other moves and other routines. Practice a lot, and don't be so eager to rush out and show somebody your new tick. Get a book like Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic or the Tarbell Course and learn a bit about magic over all and performance before you rush to perform. We are all eager to get a new trick before an audience, but experience teaches you that taking your time pays off.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
gtwosaints
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of gtwosaints
I do know other tricks, I was only wondering if anyone had any other tricks to add to it.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
It's not a question of adding tricks to it to prove them wrong. You have already lost when you are in a situation where you need to prove them wrong. You are arguing for your life on their terms. Your back is against the wall in a defensive position. No...

You need to look at how you get into that situation to begin with. It's your show so you need to be in control. Although it is disappointing to hear, Photius is right. You need to have a structure to the act that plugs these holes. More specifically:

What you have here is perhaps not a trick in itself but the beginning of a great Ambitious Card routine. Instead of repeating the (apparently not sufficiently deceptive) move you are now doing, you keep flowing forward with ever new handlings that prove their theories wrong. As long as it keeps going it doesn't matter if some of them think they know what you did. They don't get the chance to arrest you on it because the routine moves on and you do it again differently.

One such option is to fairly put one very visible card into the middle and then still have it come to the top. How you actually do that is a different and very multi faceted topic.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
Well, you're describing the Ambitious Card Plot. Go down the Café's main page to the Worker's section, and at the top of that thread is a whole bunch of information about the DL and the ACR. Common wisdom about the plot is that you need to be able to repeat the effect, you need to use different methods, and it helps if the phases look exactly the same even when you're using different methods. But go to that thread and start reading.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2008-05-04 13:16, gtwosaints wrote:
Some of them figured the trick out and I have to deny that they got it right. Does anyone have a trick or a routine I could use after they say I picked up two cards to prove them wrong?

First, if you didn't screw up the move and they are just guessing then why argue with them. Say nothing. Just smile and move on. Doing another trick to prove them wrong won't work.
If you feel you must do another trick then maybe do something that's nearly self-working.

You might also consider learning a good Second Deal.
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Quote:
On 2008-05-04 13:16, gtwosaints wrote:
Well, it's not really trick but a double lift. I need help fooling people with it. I usually just perform a double lift, show them the card, place the top card in the middle of the deck, snap my finger and it's magically on top. People in my school are impossibly difficult to trick because they try to exploit everything. Some of them figured the trick out and I have to deny that they got it right. Does anyone have a trick or a routine I could use after they say I picked up two cards to prove them wrong?

Look into the KM move. If you turn over a double and then want to prove as you turn your double down that it is a single card, then you should try using the KM move. What you do after that to re-establish your position in your routine is another question, but sometimes you really need to prove it is only one card. You could also look into using a DBer.
Scott
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Through the DL does not need to have any misdirection I like adding just a little. Nothing more then acting casual and not looking at the deck when you take off top card.

When you think about it, such a simple action shouldn’t be a major operation if you were really only taking the top card. If you’re looking at the deck well you’re doing it and hesitate even just a little, then where do you think the focus is going to be? Also another tip, try and adjust your patter so when the attention of the DL card is brought to the spectators, that it’s done when the card is well and truly clear from the deck.

Don’t say, “Now I’ll take this card” well executing the DL. Remember where’s the focus going to be?

It’s a small thing, but I feel important.

Being casual and unconcerned about it is very disarming to your spectators, however if their just trying to catch you out, then that’s a different matter.

Magically

Aus
qureyoon
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
275 Posts

Profile of qureyoon
You can try Karl Fulves series, if you're beginner then try some "Self Working Card Tricks", most of them does not require sleight at all. And you can ever tell your friends to do the move !

Here are some previous from Google, read some, and go buy the books, it's worth it !

Then slowly practice more sleights. If you want the whole 2 cards thing as you said. Get the Crash Course 2 from Ellusionist, that is good stuff for DL Smile

Good luck on your journey ^_^

Efendi.
Kipee
View Profile
Regular user
UK
156 Posts

Profile of Kipee
Quote:
On 2008-05-05 04:03, qureyoon wrote:
You can try Karl Fulves series, if you're beginner then try some "Self Working Card Tricks", most of them does not require sleight at all. And you can ever tell your friends to do the move !

Here are some previous from Google, read some, and go buy the books, it's worth it !

Then slowly practice more sleights. If you want the whole 2 cards thing as you said. Get the Crash Course 2 from Ellusionist, that is good stuff for DL Smile

Good luck on your journey ^_^

Efendi.

I must admit, I brought these "crash courses" and they are a useful resource, but also, in a strange way, have a confidence building feel to them. It doesn't come across as a hard to master miracle or the like, it tells you what it is, shows you, breaks it down, reminds you to practice practice practice, and get out and do it.

They had some nice stuff in them to add to almost any Ambitious Card routine.

Either way - good luck.
katocat
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of katocat
When I run into a crowd like that I just go to a triple lift and after re-decking the top card I say "...we'll just put one more card in there for good luck". Most people aren't looking for a TL in this trick and sometimes that's enough mental misdirection to keep them guessing
dragee
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of dragee
I also faces such problem and I feel that you need to construct your routine to cancel out your methods. When they say you do a DL, you show them you really put in a middle and do a pass.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help with One Trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL