The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Coating the interior of the cups black (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
L Trunk
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
207 Posts

Profile of L Trunk
Firstly, what is your opinion on coating the interior of the cup black? I think it would make the interior look smaller and give good contrast with the balls when finishing a routine.

Secondly, does anyone know of a way to do it to brass cups?
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Nashville
660 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
I dunno about coating it black. I would think it may cause more of a chance to flash although I would hope that isn't really possible. I don't really know what could be used. However, I know you can get rubber based black spray paint at home depot or lows. Its a bit thicker and maybe a little tricky. Perhaps it would even dampen the sound a bit, who knows.
-DJ
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
I don't know that I would want to do this, but if I was going to, I think I would try to use the same stuff they use for spray in bed liners for pickup trucks. You could probable have one of the truck places do it for pretty cheap being the area is so small, and they could probably do a pretty good job with it.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I believe that some of the coatings being referred to are either fairly thick (relatively speaking) or gritty. Both could affect the ability of the cups to nest (not to mention the beautiful sound they make when nesting them) or release a final load designed to be as large as possible.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
JOE PORPER uses in his cups powder coating, I am not sure if it is black but it looks very dark.
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I think a set of black anodized aluminum cups, similar to the black Calphalon cookware, (The bare aluminum, not the non-stick stuff) would be attractive.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
L Trunk
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
207 Posts

Profile of L Trunk
Quote:
On 2008-05-05 10:22, Chessmann wrote:
Both could affect the [...] beautiful sound they make when nesting them

I hadn't thought of that.

Thank you all for the great ideas! It's hard to get custom metal work done where I live. I guess powder coating is the only sure way, but I'm going to look into the spray in liner.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1019 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
All the Porper cups come with black interiors
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2134 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2008-05-05 11:02, DStachowiak wrote:
I think a set of black anodized aluminum cups, similar to the black Calphalon cookware, (The bare aluminum, not the non-stick stuff) would be attractive.
Don

Don,
we made the Foxy II Combos in black anodized aluminum. They were selling quicker than we could make them. There are plans on bringing them back, but we are doing away with the CNC work and spinning them by hand.

Then there is also the Darkness Falls Series of cups, which will all be Black Chrome.

Jake
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
***All the Porper cups come with black interiors***

So do the Magic Maker cups! Oh wait, you don't want it to come off on your hands and clothes.......... nevermind! Smile
Kipee
View Profile
Regular user
UK
156 Posts

Profile of Kipee
Quote:
Then there is also the Darkness Falls Series of cups, which will all be Black Chrome.

I Can't wait for these - time to start saving Smile
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2713 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I really don't care for the black interior of cups made that way. It's just something I see no need for. Those who like it say it helps the balls to show up better against the inside of the cup while the cup is on it's side and the ball(s) are infront of the cups. I feel there is no need for this. It's something you have to decide for yourself if you like or not. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean no one else can.

Randy.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2008-05-05 11:40, Mad Jake wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-05 11:02, DStachowiak wrote:
Don

Don,
we made the Foxy II Combos in black anodized aluminum. They were selling quicker than we could make them. There are plans on bringing them back, but we are doing away with the CNC work and spinning them by hand.

Jake

Great minds... Smile
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Re: the Porper cups

The first few of the brass Porper cups that were made in the late 1970's had unpainted interiors.

Re: black interiors.

Truck bedding material is excessively thick and probably unnecessary. Ordinary black paint should work fine. Parkerizing would be an option, but I don't think black interiors add anything to a set of cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2134 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
We black powder coat the inside of the antique bronze. The reasoning behind this is not asthetics, but to keep oxidation from the bronzing material from coming off on the balls over time, but it does look nice with the antiquing.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
On the "Slight of Dave" DVD's David's cups appear to have black a black interior; does anyone know the history of his cups?
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1301 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
David's cups on that tape were Original R-N-T that have not been finished on the inside. They are Stainless Steel and really hold up well to abuse ...errr use.
I compared mine to his and they were the same.

Mobius
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I guess its true then; the memory is the first to go!
Thanks for the correction.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
MagicMattMan
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
741 Posts

Profile of MagicMattMan
Three words: Black Nail Polish. It can be shiny or flat depending on how you need it. Clear nail polished worked great for sealing a lable inside a bottle ala a David Roth tape.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not, none will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."Hebrews 13:2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'm curious as to how long black nail polish would last inside a cup, especially at those parts where the cups bang against each other. There are other paints that are more durable.

For example, if you can get hold of some Krylon black epoxy spray, that's tough stuff. However, it is not easy to apply this to the inside of a cup.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Coating the interior of the cups black (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL