The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review of Bob Sheets Does Hospitality Volumes 1-3 (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I received and watched, all day, the Bob Sheets DVD's produced by Bob Kohler and want to do a proper review. I don't usually go trick by trick on DVD's, but this set is so good, it deserves it.

Bob performs in the Bob Kohler studio for 4 people at a table. Bob Sheets is the "Dorian Gray" of magic. His portrait must be aging in the basement of the Tower in Snowmass because he doesn't seem to age.

I don't want to give specifics, because folks are going to be fooled by some of the routines ( even if you read the box descriptions ). If I had to pick one word to describe the set it would be FUN. Plus, I was always told Bob was a brilliant thinker and performer, but wasn't a real move monkey or technician. Well, he did Jack Carpenters Impulse Change perfectly. So much for that myth.

This set will go onto my "never sell" shelves. DVD's on that shelf are ones that even after the 10th viewing, I come away with something new. Maybe a move, a line or an idea. Each DVD's has 3 tricks on it, but a wealth of information.

VOLUME 1
BUNNIES - We all know this trick. You either love to do it or you don't. I love it and...Bob fooled me. Here's what I mean. When I first went to see Mac King in Vegas, I took my folks and we laughed so hard and it's still the best show I've ever seen. That week I went back by myself 2 more times. I wanted to observe when Mac did the sleights, etc. well..that didn't happen. I got caught up in the show and didn't see a single move.

Bob Sheets started the routine and I started to laugh and that was it. Plus, Bob does some moves I wasn't aware of. If you don't do the bunnies, you will after seeing Bob. If you do do them, get ready to have a blast.

INTUITION - Under impossible circumstances, spectators do the impossible and read each others minds. Well, I thought I read on the Café that the routines were easy with almost no sleights. You could have fooled me because it looked like a heavy sleight routine. IT'S NOT! It is dead easy. This is a card performance piece. I was taken on a ride with the audience in the studio. When Bob tipped the real work I kicked myself for being taken in. Everyone is going to do this routine.

Here's some gold: You already know the cards they freely select and...at one point the fellow at the table mis-remembered his card. Bob didn't flinch and quickly guided the fellow to name the actual card. A professional doesn't lose their cool and Bob played it perfectly.

MARKED: Bob Sheets version of John Cornelius's effect. Harry Anderson did a version on the Tonight Show back in his Night Court days. Bob has a great handling and a nice twist at the end. Plus, some tips on keeping the cards protected and how to introduce them for the show.

VOLUME 2

TRIPPLE TRANSPO - Bob and J.C. Wagner wrote up the original instructions and everyone from Doc Eason, to Jim Lewis, John Bannon and Cody Fisher have put beautiful touches on it. Bob's updated version is a bit shorter but very powerful for walk around. The gimmick got rung in and I missed it.

GOTCHA - Bob's multi-phase version of the classic Triumph. FOOLED ME BADLY!

RED HOT MAMA - I love Whit Haydn's Chicago Surprise and Bob ahs taken it to another level. This is the version to do, but get Whit's manuscript as it's a lesson in magic and psychology that every magician should have: http://www.chefanton.com/scoundrelsstore......ucts.htm

VOLUME 3

3 Ball Trick - I'll leave this for others to comment as I do not like the 3 ball tricks. Maybe 'cause I stink at it....

FLASH DECK - Another card trick everyone is going to do.

6 TRICKS, 2 MINUTES - This has it all and the opening was a surprise and they kept coming. I've asked folks about this over the years and all gave similar answers which was "wait until you see Bob Sheets perform it". I'm glad I waited because it is so cool. This was worth the price of the DVD set. KILLER!

All the shops have this set as it's distributed by Murphy's. Order from yoru favorite or direct from Bob Kohler ( Bob offers a discount, free shipping and his service is the finest ):

Bob Kohler: E-mail is: bobkohler@cox.net
If you order all 3 DVD's direct from Bob, the price is $84.95 with FREE SHIPPING!
Bob's paypal is : bobkohler@cox.net.

Folks that don't have paypal can still order and get the sale and free shipping. Just e-mail Bob and he'll take care of you!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Hi everyone,

Here I go again, with the caveats: Bob Sheets and I are longtime friends. I have known him for over 35 years! Bob Kohler is a friend of mine. Because of me, Bob K. is married to Mimi K. and that is a good thing.

Bob Sheets is brilliant. He is one of the funniest people I know. He is also one of the best performers of Magic that I know. He is an all around entertainer.

I really liked the set of DVD's. My favorites are The Three Ball Routine (sorry Chris). I have seen him totally blow away a crowd of people with it. The Bunnies--Bob's routine is one developed over the years of working for adults in bars. Slightly risque, but again, a killer routine. The Flash Deck is just too good! Six Tricks in Two Minutes is genius.

Beyond the tricks, you get a chance to see Bob perform. Bob is a thinker and it shows. Purchase these DVD's, learn the routines--make them fit your own performing personas, go ahead and do some Magic for some REAL people.

Enjoy the search.

Respectfully,

Paul Green
immr1drfl
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of immr1drfl
Great Review Chris Thanks!!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I'm watching them again today ( you will do the same ). To answer some PM's I'm getting:

TRIPPLE TRANSPO: first off, Bob says the routine he and J.C. first wrote up was based on moves by...Dan Tong. WOW. For those that don't know Dan, you can get Kozmo Magic's "Dan Tong- Finally! 50 Years of Magic" to see this worker in action.

Also, Bob's updated version does not have you going to the pocket, which was a concern for some folks. Bob uses a coin purse to ring the gaff in and to finish the routine clean.

I never minded going to the pocket and even would take out the extra coins in trying to explain it all to them as the roiginal version did, but it's not needed with Bob's version.

And I prefer Bob's in the hands moment. He uses two people ( I think in walk around, the more folks you get involved, the better ).

The teaching segments were: I was surprised by Bob's teaching. Bob is a zany guy, but in the explanations he's gentle, thorough and gives attention to detail.

I've been up early working on TRIPLE Transpo and making up the deck for 6 TRICKS, 2 MINUTES.

Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Chris:

Having watched these DVDs 5 times each so far (no sleep for the past 24 hours), I cannot think of a single thing to add to yours and Paul's comments. Everything on them was performed before an audience, and explained in great detail, including outs. All credited, all strong, and with optional handlings for some, to simplify and make them work for butterfingers like me. All either automatic or simple resets, all giving ample opportunity to allow for personalization (which I need as I’m no wild man like Bob Sheets, but then again, who is?).

These are the best DVDs I've purchased in a long time, if not the best I've ever purchased.

Bravo to both Bob and the Big Guy.

Tony
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Great reviews, guys. This is a truly outstanding set of DVDs. Highly recommended!

Robert
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Bob says the vest he wears is made by Bob Solari:
http://www.gmrcreations.com/bob/52-150.htm

JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Are the routines good for walk around or do you need table space? thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Most are in the hands, some he does use the table, but only to rest things on, not dealing rows of cards etc Smile

My set is for sale, see the DVD sale area.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I picked the set up from Bob at a lecture a few nights ago. I've only watched one of the DVDs so far, but if they're anything like he is live (and I'm sure they are), they'll be phenomenal.

I also got to play the part of the bag during his 3-ball trick. Smile
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I"m surprised more people haven't reviewed these. Even more surprised that several are already selling them.
A.J.
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan
314 Posts

Profile of A.J.
I just got these DVDs and can't stop watching...and learning. Hard hitting magic that is time-tested and filled with Bob Sheet's comedy lessons. While no one could ever or would ever imitate Bob Sheets--he's the definition of "inimitable"--his lessons in magic and comedic interaction with the audience are priceless.

Great stuff here.

A.J.
hbenod
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of hbenod
I will echo the comments already posted, The sentiment is that these are pure gems polished to perfection by a master for use in the real world. No pipe dreams here!. My favorite DVD was number two, but all of these must be in the reference library of any self-respecting modern performer. His "Triple Transpo" aka CSB is excellent ending up clean. (I'm going to order a new set of these from Todd Lassen). His Gotcha is absolutely phenomenal and Flash Deck well, just divine. I loved the construction of these effects with powerful kicker endings. Bob is definitely a great magic thinker and a top performer. To top it all, he is a great and very personable guy.

Best regards
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
On TRIPPLE TRANSPO Bob has a great way to get into the routine. But, I am using Tony Millers Real Man's Coin Purse which has a slot on the back for...the gaff. Bob gets the coin out and places it under the purse. Using Tony's purse, it eliminates a step and you are in position. I then combine Bob and Cody Fisher's routine ( Cody's has some killer moments and is a must see from his Cody Fisher on Magic DVD ). Together they have made this rotuine so much stronger for me.

And I've performed "Gotcha". Let me tell you, this routine is killer. One surprise after another. You will get gasps and laughs.

giobbi1
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of giobbi1
Quote:
On 2008-05-17 00:53, Josh Chaikin wrote:
I picked the set up from Bob at a lecture a few nights ago. I've only watched one of the DVDs so far, but if they're anything like he is live (and I'm sure they are), they'll be phenomenal.

I also got to play the part of the bag during his 3-ball trick. Smile

I'm seeing him lecture on Friday. Does he have a deal for the DVD's at his lecture? Thanks
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
I was a little disappointed with the set. Well, I can't really say the set, as I've only seen volume 2. I don't think it had as much to do with Bob as the audience. Bob Sheets was one of the guys that got me serious about closeup magic and own his It's the Rules and Absolutely Nuts, as well as the Killer Kitson Miracle. I'm a big fan, so these had a lot to live up too, but he's a guy that plays off his audience to a major degree. If they're not into it and he can't get them into it, the set dies. This audience just didn't care. I've seen them in other Kohlor produced videos and they were fine, but Bob doesn't have anything "Cultural Exchange-visual" on the video and they didn't react to the lines. It almost seemed like they weren't paying attention to parts of the act. The first time I watched the video I was dissapointed in the material. I gave it a couple of days and watched it again and realized that the material's really good, it's the audience that I was upset with.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I got the set today, and have watch act 1, and loved INTUTION. Havent seen the explanition yet. Will watch act 2 tomorrow, and act 3 on friday.
The explanitons has to wait till the weekend ...
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
I too was a bit disappointed - these were advertised as having a "show" on each DVD - they weren't, they were just three tricks edited together. He didn't even PERFORM them as shows, on disc three the middle trick has him saying hello to the audience, etc.

The material was good, but didn't warrant a three DVD set - there is about 10/15 minutes worth of performance on each DVD.

I also agree with the audience not really being into the material. The L+L audience often gets a bad rap for reacting too much etc, but I would have far preferred to see them than a dead audience like on this set.

These DVD's didn't live up to the hype, IMO.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Here's from the ad:

"Each DVD contains one "ACT". Each ACT is built on three dynamite routines that will play well in any close-up situation from strolling during cocktails to table-hopping to formal close-up.

With all three ACTS in his pockets, Bob can go from group to group without repeating a routine until he gets to the fourth group yet each group gets to see a complete show.

This strategy is without a doubt the smartest way to work many events. You have enough material to do a really great job but your pockets aren't filled to the brim and you don't have to carry a case to the show. Each routine is independent so you can mix and match the routines to the audience in front of you on the fly. You can do one, two or three routines as you see fit".

I feel this set has lived up to this premise in spades. The material is some of the strongest I've ever seen and dead easy. It eliminates allot of sleight of hand that if you're strolling, unless you're someone that doesn't make "sleight mistakes" will appreciate doing an effect that has multiple "foolers" and is easy reset. I'm now incorportating a few into what I do.

I'm watching the set again tonight. That makes about 10 times.

Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I have watch all 3 videos now and for me Act 1 is still the best. But that is just MY oppinion..
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review of Bob Sheets Does Hospitality Volumes 1-3 (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL