The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review of Bob Sheets Does Hospitality Volumes 1-3 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of snushy
Thanks for your kind words and thoughts Chris.
And again, I encourage everyone to check out these DVDs because they're excellent.
Larry
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
What gimmicks, Coins,Cards Etc,do you need to have with this set?

I would like to make sure I already have the necessary gimmicks or order them at the same time.

Thanks,
Big Jeff
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of snushy
Copper/Silver/Brass...
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
What about the deck of cards for Flash deck and 6 tricks in 2 minutes?

The ad says "the deck does all the work for you" for 6 tricks/2 minutes

and "the deck does 95% of the work, you dial in the rest from home"

I don't want to have to place another order right away.

Thanks,
Big Jeff
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1152 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
For Flash Deck and 6 Tricks In Two Minutes, you make the deck from a standard Bicycle Deck.

Had the chance to catch Bob's lecture last weekend. He showed where he does Flash Deck and then drops the cards in his pocket and comes out with 6 Tricks in Two Minutes. He uses the same half of the deck for both routines.

I worked on Flash Deck all week and debuted it last night. It got some great reactions and is in fact the perfect card trick to do in strolling situations with no table.

One of the other great benefits of Bob's lecture if you get the chance to check it out is his improved idea of dumping the CSB gimmick at the end of the routine. It is actually different than what is on his new DVD and very diabolical.
Doc Eason
View Profile
V.I.P.
Aspen Colorado
428 Posts

Profile of Doc Eason
WOW! What a ride it's been through *this* thread.

Ya know, Will Rogers once said that if there ain't no malice in your heart, there's no malice in your gags.

Anyone who works a lot knows that sometime in the flow of the show something slips out.
Sometimes offensive? Well, mildly or otherwise, unintended or otherwise...it happens.. Yes.. I think Imus was a sacrificial lamb. He really meant no malice I really believe that.. but that is beside the point.

Knowing Bob, there was no malice in his heart when this dropped from his lips.. too bad that that cast any shadow at all on the review. Hopefully we are moving past this...

Now, these dvds...
If you are looking for Bob Sheets at his funniest... If you are looking for outrageous audience reactions ... If this is the first time you have seen Bob... Well you may be disappointed. I've known Bob for over 30 years. Frankly, I have seen him funnier and with livelier audiences hundreds of times.
There is a magic chemistry when shooting video which is extremely elusive. It didn't happen to any great extent in these but they aren't BAD performances... I laughed and noticed the way he dealt with just having four people in the crowd. It was an education...They simply weren't the most electric I have ever seen.

That being said...So what...

The importance of this set is the magic not the performances.The material there is all you need to make a living at doing walkaround magic. All of the nine pieces presented may not be to your liking...the ball routine did nothing for me...CSB? well, I have been doing it for 30 years one way ... I am not gonna change mine.. but if you don't do a CSB routine, this should be required viewing.

DO NOT judge the strength of the trick by the reactions of these four people.

If you do walkaround, please watch these more than once .. the simplicity of the methods are astounding. Just make up that flash deck and do it. That trick alone is worth the $80 to a real worker. With that in your kitbag you can 'mow' your way through a cocktail party. It's 'Cocktail Magic' at its best.. [BTW Look at Bill Abbott's new book with that title.] Make them up and do them and THEN see how strong they are. There are gems here.

The Bunnies are gold to a worker.. that routine alone is worth the $80 to real worker...

6 tricks in two minutes? the premise alone is worth the money...the routine is over the rainbow...

Just DO the routines rather than watch in the comfort of your study and say 'That won't work' or 'hmm, that didn't get the reaction I would be looking for...'. These routines have hours and hours of flight time.. that flight time is worth the money. Slip these routines into your character and they are solid gold.

Learn the methods. Use the performances to get the timing down. . and if you want to see Bob at his best.. see him in a Convention. Like LVMI next week.
(June 8,9,10)

Respectfully submitted with no malice in my heart to anyone at this point...

Doc
Doc Eason’s Rocky Mountain Magic

PO Box 50 / Basalt CO 81621

doc@doceason.com

http://doceason.com

http://doceasonmagicshop.com
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
Not to kiss Doc's butt on this one, but I think his CSB is better than the one on the Sheets DVDs. It seems to have a more natural handling.

Now back to reviewing the DVDs themselves, and hopefully getting things back on track...

Overall I think editing on the DVDs were weak (keep in mind this is from a video guys perspective). There were a number of audio lag overs that bled into scenes that didn't have a very smooth transition. It should have been pretty straight forward editing (obviously edited with Final Cut Studio), but it seemed "clunky." Enough video critiquing, now onto the magic.

The routines were great, and real audience pleasers, though it didn't always show from audience reactions. I'm sure these routines are great for him, and great for others, but not really my cup of tea. While sponge bunnies are great, they've never been my thing and I'll stick to regular sponge balls. I already gave my two cents on CSB, and the yellow balls didn't do much for me. I would say the balls were the weakest of the material on any of the DVDs. He had some great card stuff that many will find useful, but again not my cup of tea. Overall, they are really great effects, and many people will find these DVDs to be just what they were looking for. As far as some of the editing goes, a lot of people probably won't even notice, but to me it brought the quality down a little bit.
Amiable
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Amiable
Addition to Michael's answer to Big Jeff's question - the first trick of the 6 (color changing) utilizes something more than what you can construct from a regular deck. Without the DVDs in front of me, I couldn't remember what it was called. Someone else could chip in?

Like Eric, the 3-balls (3rd DVD) did nothing for me either. But then, so didn't the Bunnies (1st DVD)... but the bunnies is what the audiences love. This might be because we're in the know about vanishes and steals, so unlike our audiences, we receive no astonishment from watching/performing the routine.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I don't know Bob Sheets, so he could sell 10,000 of these or 2 and it doesn't affect me. What I do know is magic that works and I know audiences.

20 years ago I waited tables and bartended and you had the same audiences. Tables that were there to have fun and you could play off them. Tables that were dead quiet, rude tables, etc. All the things we hear about DVD performances and audiences were the same things I heard about dining guests.

You see, it's not about the magic, it's about people and how we interact with them, handle them and perceive them. Some times I'd get bigger tips from the quite tables than the loud, in your face fun ones. That told me they enjoyed their time as much as anyone, but were quiet people.

Anyone that ahs every performed for any length of time, has encountered every type of audience. Over the tope reactions, quiet, Ba** breakers, challengers, and everything in between.

I have watched these DVD's over a dozen times now. This audience that is luke warm that everyone is talking about is allot more engaged than folks are noticing. Are they somewhat on the quite side? Yes. Are they enjoying the show? Yes. Some poeple..are shy and doen't show a great deal of emotion.

These DVD's are learning experiences. If the audience was lively, trading jokes with Bob ( and bringing out his best to match them ) you may have loved the performance sections, but you wouldn't have learned more than just the tricks.

Almost ANYONE can do well with an audience that is going to have fun no matter who is in front of them. An inexperienced performer will fall flat and be off their game with quiet audiences. They start to worry they aren't enjoying the show, they make mistakes, forget their planned set, etc.

These DVD's are worth every penny if there were no explanations.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
JayF
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of JayF
Hi! I just went through this thread because I'm thinking about picking up one or more of these DVDs. However, I'd like to add one comment, not about this DVD set, but about something else that was mentioned in the thread: Tourette's Syndrome. I have Tourette's Syndrome. It is NOT a disease or an illness.

An oversimplified explanation is that people with Tourette's do not use certain chemicals in their brains that help us to control our impulses as well as people who do not have Tourette's (dopamine is a primary chemical here). Thus, people with Tourette's cannot control their impulses to perform behaviors that are referred to as tics. Tics can be vocal (like grunting, swearing, etc.) or physical (tensing various muscles).

I'm actually quite "cool" with Tourette's oriented humor. In fact, I use a humorous line myself when performing that refers to having Tourette's. However, I only use the line when people already know I have Tourette's.

Just thought I'd post this because I believe Tourette's was called a disease and/or illness in the thread. I'm not offended that someone called it that. I just wanted to clarify that Tourette's is not really a disease or illness.

Jay Frasier
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Jay, thanks for sharing that. But... you still can offend some folks, even if you let them know you have Tourette's Syndrome.

Bobby Vinton, the "Polish Prince" loves to tell Polish jokes. He was on Merve Griffin once and told a joke ( this was in the late 70's, so you can imagine how soft the joke was ). Lorreta Switt, of MASH fame, was on the show and was highly offended because she was Polish. She did not care that he was Polish.

On one of the Bob Sheet's DVD's, at the end of a trick he says" You've just been fooled by the four fingered man" and he does a Meir Yedid finger vanish illusion.

Yep, someone with a missing finger, or who has a great aunt that lost a finger, or
blah, blah,blah..will be offended.

Almost anything can offend almost anyone, if they are open to it. Some folks are very sensitive...if it pertains to them. They couldn't care less what the joke is...until it relates to something in their life.

NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
For those who might be unsure about this DVD set, re-read what Doc Eason has to say. I've also known Bob for about 30 years and Doc's comments about this DVD set are on target, he said it at well as it can be said.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
For 6 Tricks in 2 minutes, Bob uses a gaff made by Marty Grams that accomplishes the incredible color change of the card box. Marty made one for me that I use for Bob's routine and it's beautiful.

You can contact Marty here on the Café ( Martini ) or e-mail him about it:
martinismagic@hotmail.com

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Anyone else using any of the Sheets material?

korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1795 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I use Marked, version of Bunnies, Occassionally cotcha and I would use 2copper/1 silver if I would afford Schoolcraft coins Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Doc Eason used the Johnson set FOREVER and it played perfect. We Magicians love our fancy sets ( I know I do ) but in reality, the audience doesn't can't distinguish or care what we use.

But..it's all about feeling good. I love the fancy set. I feel better using it so...that's what I use.

NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
As mentioned earlier, these aren't the tapes that let you know what it's really like to be entertained by Bob Sheets.

I worked with him for the time that the Brook Farm Inn of Magic was in operation, so I consider myself one of the lucky ones who's seen him in front of real, live, receptive audiences.

In my opinion, his handling of CSB is one of the best, if not THE best I've ever come across.

Nick
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1795 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Quote:
On 2008-09-17 10:56, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Doc Eason used the Johnson set FOREVER and it played perfect. We Magicians love our fancy sets ( I know I do ) but in reality, the audience doesn't can't distinguish or care what we use.

But..it's all about feeling good. I love the fancy set. I feel better using it so...that's what I use.

If only I could even get Johnson set, but it seems most people sell just garbage from Sasco, Emporium, Tango and so on Smile I have had 2 sets by cheaper makers and they were just bad. A friend has Johnson set he isn't using but he isn't willing to sell it. It is very good. However I tryed Bob´s Schoolcraft set few months back at his lecture and fell in love... I have no problem on spending to good quality prop that I will use. At the moment I just don't have the extra money to invest Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-09-18 10:51, korttihai_82 wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-09-17 10:56, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:

If only I could even get Johnson set, but it seems most people sell just garbage from Sasco, Emporium, Tango and so on Smile I have had 2 sets by cheaper makers and they were just bad. A friend has Johnson set he isn't using but he isn't willing to sell it. It is very good. However I tryed Bob´s Schoolcraft set few months back at his lecture and fell in love... I have no problem on spending to good quality prop that I will use. At the moment I just don't have the extra money to invest Smile

Try Tops Magic. Angie over there is a dream to order from:
http://topsmagic.com/topshop/product_inf......_id=1492

Wayne Kawamoto
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Wayne Kawamoto
I've been using "Flash Deck" and "Marked" for the last three months. Both are excellent effects. I'm still working on the "Triple Transpo," Sheets' take on copper/silver/brass, but I'm hoping to unveil this routine in the next month.

I interviewed Bob Sheets in Louisville at the recent magic convention. This interview, which will feature insights into this DVD set, will appear on an upcoming Reel Magic Magazine. During the interview, Bob also talked about his experiences with Heba Haba Al.

-Wayne
www.Magic.About.com - Magic News and Reviews
Author: "Picture Yourself As a Magician"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review of Bob Sheets Does Hospitality Volumes 1-3 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL