The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The Fun Shop Cups and Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
I started a topic on final loads some time ago. For those who never saw the routine, it looks like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grSA18ccOZ8
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
That's great Kent. Thank you for sharing it with us.
"But there isn't a door"
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Ah, my favorite routine is back so I can study it. This is the most magical cups and balls routine I have seen in my 60+ years around magic.

Every move is a perfect illusion and the loads are brilliant. I am happy you posted it again, Kent.

I assume that the judges at WMS heaped accolades and piles of money on you for the finest version in history of the world's oldest trick. Right?

BTW, I love Ricky Jay's "History Lesson" Cups and Balls, but if I really study his moves, especially the loads, they are not that great. Yours are far better.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Kipee
View Profile
Regular user
UK
156 Posts

Profile of Kipee
Yeah thanks Kent - Its a great routine, love it!
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
871 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
Hi, Kent

It's a great routine... I love it.

The use of different color balls were great.

and the load is invisible

Thanks for sharing it

Cheers
Andre
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
Jeff O
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of Jeff O
This is flat out the best cups and balls routine I have ever seen. Like Andre said, the loads are invisible, not only of the kickers but throughout the routine. Thanks for sharing this with us Kent.

-Jeff
SeanD13
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, RI
263 Posts

Profile of SeanD13
Great job Kent
Have you hugged a Cup Junkie lately?

Learn more at www.CupsCon.com
"If We Build It Will you Come?"
Ocha
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Ocha
OMG that is an AWSOME Routine Kent.
Thank you so much for sharing.

Ocha
I was Me but now He is gone.......
M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
Wow!
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
You go to WMS and get told you're routine is crap. I come back home to the Café and it's the best thing since sliced bread. Hmmmm . . . perhaps the truth lies in between these two extremes.

Your positive feedback, one and all, has lifted me from the competition doldrums. I thank you all!!! Stay tuned a write up of the Fun Shop Cups is underway. Look for it at a magic store near you.

Ok it'll never really be in magic stores. I'll print up fifty copies and eat thirty of them. I have bites for the job of editor and illustrator. The routine is written up. If you're interested in helping or think you'd actually plunk down some dough, let me know. Your feedback will determine whether or not I spend the time to get this done!

Once again, Ocha, jconstans, Jeff O, Andre, Glenn and Tom: your positive responses were kind and encouraging. Sean, Sean baby, CupsCon! Dude you're making it happen!! Since FISM is too far away, I will get to meet you in Texas, next year!

KG
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
249 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
OH, you will sell this routine...no doubt. I would certainly plunk down the dough.

As for competition...why is it most of them have judges that are hobbiests at best. Magic is art (and work), not sport. Don't worry about that stuff.

Those that can't do become judges and critics.

Mark
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
Kent:

How about a backdrop, some lighting and a slightly spiffed up video - along with the write up - to start the campaign for a much deserved award at CupsCon 2009?
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
871 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
Go with it Kent....

I'm pretty sure the judges will be amazed by your routine...

It's one of the best routine I've seen

Cheers
Andre
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Kent, I would be very curious to know what exactly they (WMS) didn't like about the routine. I enjoyed watching it.
tjo'
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Bob Kohler,

I can write. I can shoot pictures. I don't know donk about video. If that ever happens someone will have to lend more than a hand.

KG
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Kent,

First, congratulations on having the courage to compete at a magic convention. That in itself is a huge accomplishment. Last year, I competed as well at the 2007 PCAM Convention. Before doing so, I sought out the opinions of my friends here at the Café and I received some wonderful advice.

I still remember Bill Palmer telling me how difficult it is to successfully compete with a cups and balls routine. The effect has been around for so long, and has been performed so much, that the bar is set very, very high. When performing this type of a routine in competition, I was told that technical skill alone will not be enough to succeed. Instead, you must have something amazingly different.

Obviously, these standards are not the same standards that apply in the "real world", where variations of the Gazzo, Ammar and Vernon routines abound. Just because you get a bunch of constructive criticism at a competition doesn't mean the routine won't be highly entertaining for a real world audience. Have faith and confidence in your abilities.

Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed your routine and would gladly purchase it to add to my cups and balls library. Keep up the good work!

Kent (the other one)
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Joseph,

I bunged up early in the routine. I was like a deer, caught in the headlights. My presentations skills, limited as they are, completely vanished when I looked up into the spotlights and realized I couldn't see a single face.

I got a lot of support and encouragement fromt the staff at WMS. I got to do the routine in a real close-up setting, in the hotel room, about ten times for various magi, in the Las Vegas area.

Overall it was a great learning experience. Why didn't I win?, Because the other competitors did a better job!!!

KG
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Kent,
Your finals alone are worth the price of admission!

Mick
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I really like your routien kent, id be interested in a manuscript
matt kemp
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of matt kemp
Quote:
On 2008-05-07 13:23, Joshua Barrett wrote:
I really like your routien kent, id be interested in a manuscript

I second that. As I said over at the CupsCon forum, I really like this version of Kent's routine. I hope that I can learn some of the techniques Kent uses so I can add them to my routine! I want my loads to be that invisible.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The Fun Shop Cups and Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL