The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The Fun Shop Cups and Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
589 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Kent! Dude! Awesome work! Wonderfully focusing presentation, and magnificent construction. Bravo!
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Nashville
660 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
I don't believe in competitions because they don't believe in magic. Let the audience decide what is good and what isn't.
-DJ
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1633 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
DJ,

Just because you don't believe in them doesn't mean they don't exist. If you choose not to participate in them, that I get!

Competitions are inanimate, by their nature, so they couldn't believe in anything.

Trite comments aside, I tend to agree with you DJ. There's a poem that goes something like this:

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Competition is by it's nature a comparison. I used the competition to establish a drop dead date for myself. That worked.

Be well,
KG
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Nashville
660 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Smile well said
-DJ
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
As I told you after the competition, I thought you did a great job Kent. I had an unusual conversation at the airport as I was leaving Vegas. I bumped into a family that was at the convention and their 14 year old son is into magic. We talked about the close-up competition and I told him that I really loved your routine. He snickered and said no one would ever win a competition doing cups and balls. I asked if he had ever heard of Michael Ammar, Paul Gertner, David Williamson etc. He said no. Sad huh? We talked about cups and he admitted he had no idea where the loads came from. To be honest, I really don't think he was even paying attention during the routine. I'm not sure how anyone can look at that performance and not think it was mystifying and entertaining.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1633 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Pepka,

I think, no I know the routine needs work. 14-year-olds, God, I wish I was that smart! The routine is gone from youtube. I'm going back to the scriptwriting machine. I got some solid feedback from the busking crew. Thank you for your kind words.

Poof, it's gone!
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Kent,
Start wearing eye liner, wrist bands and some bling.... use skulls with flashing red eyes for finals. Start your routine with "Dude, wanna see something really trippy" and do it all to some type of head banger music and the youth of today will kick ya into demiGod status!
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
I wish I could have seen the video!
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Nashville
660 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Quote:
On 2008-05-08 01:51, MickeyPainless wrote:
Kent,
Start wearing eye liner, wrist bands and some bling.... use skulls with flashing red eyes for finals. Start your routine with "Dude, wanna see something really trippy" and do it all to some type of head banger music and the youth of today will kick ya into demiGod status!

that was "killar brah"
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1633 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
I'm fat, fifty and whiter than Ivory soap. I'd love to play against type, but doubt I could pull it off. You're a good one Mickey!
KG
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Competitions are good as they give one a deadline, make one think, and you often meet others in the competitions that become long term friends. It is not necessary to win to gain from them.

Note to Kent: I know what you mean about the spot lights and not seeing the audience. That is awful... when I work I insist on house lights. When on stage if I can't see the audience I am unable to do what I do best, relate to the audience. I will stop and ask the crew to bring up the house lights (if they forgot my instructions).
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1633 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Pete,

I learned a lot in Vegas. What happens in Vegas . . . I'll carry on with the new ideas and feedback. Why leave all the good stuff in Vegas?

I doubt I'll ever be in a venue that has lights like those. If I am, I shall remember to ask for the house lights. I'll cue them should they forget.

I had a great time in Vegas Pete. I never would've shown up if not for you. A million thanks!
KG
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Kent,

I have seen the routine before and I loved it. I understand about the lights, and your poem says volumes. Great work!

My son was in the IBM competition with a cane act. He produced an appearing cane from a silk fountain. At the judging critique, he was told he should have produced something from the fountain of silks...maybe an appearing cane. He told them that he in fact did. The judge said, "Oh, I must have missed that. It was early, you know..." So just keep that in mind.

As I said, I have seen the routine before and I think that it is TOP NOTCH!

Good luck to you!
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
Jeff O
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Jeff O
Scott, that is quite comical what you said about your son's act and the judge not knowing he produced a can from the fountain. Maybe not so funny for his scores.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The Fun Shop Cups and Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL