The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Best routine in print for Twisting the Aces? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
jmoran76
View Profile
New user
West Palm Beach, FL
69 Posts

Profile of jmoran76
Vernon without question. . .
lcombs
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of lcombs
Another vote for Dai Vernon
thepspdope
View Profile
Regular user
With Roughly About
173 Posts

Profile of thepspdope
And Dai for me too!
- just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you!
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Quote:
On 2008-05-08 19:29, Justin R wrote:
Does Roger Smith's "Maxi Twist" count? I really like that one.

It Should! I am a HUGE fan of Roger's work and that one is a KILLER!
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
mackinley
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of mackinley
Another vote for Vernon's original.

In my mind, this routine is perfect, there is no better way to achieve the effect than what Vernon came up with. It is completely clean. To a spectator, there are absolutely zero moves.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1161 Posts

Profile of Corbett
Where is Vernon's routine in print?
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Fred Kaps version, my favourite, easy to do. Yoy can find the explanation in Fred Kaps lecture.

Watch a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIOcugPweoA
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2008-06-18 21:39, Corbett wrote:
Where is Vernon's routine in print?
look at the first reply to your original query...the answer is there.
Cardamagically,
Dom.
:) Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1161 Posts

Profile of Corbett
Thanks much Dom.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I still love the original by Dai Vernon's.

Guy Hollingworth's Waving the Aces is also excellent.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
Another vote for Dai's. This was the first card trick I wanted to learn when I first became serious about cards because it was just so magical to watch. It has to be one of my favorite tricks of all time.
ravi
View Profile
Elite user
Germany
413 Posts

Profile of ravi
The most magical looking for sure might be "Asher Twist" by Lee Asher.

R
I N D R I D C O L E

DEAD AnD GONE
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
I'll have to say Dai Vernon's as well (although the Asher Twist is a very close second).

Regards, Steve
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
With due respect to da Professor, Lee Asher's "Asher Twist" is a really, really nice effect. Very quick and hard hitting.

As a side note, because of the method and angle sensitivity, it's a much better opener than doing later in a show...
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
Richard Hatch
View Profile
Regular user
Logan Utah
127 Posts

Profile of Richard Hatch
[quote]On 2008-05-09 09:51, Paul wrote:
Quote:
You could try "Twist In a Glass" by Paul Hallas. In can be found on the "Clever Card Magic' DVD, some early notes of his or the upcoming "Magic From The Overground" book due out from H & R Books later this year.

As a follow up to the above, Paul's MAGIC FROM THE OVERGROUND is expected to ship from the printer in Michigan at the end of July.
Richard Hatch
www.HatchAcademy.com
Mark Elsdon
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of Mark Elsdon
Jon Racherbaumer's 'Good Turns 2.0' is available to members of his site and well worth reading. 56 pages on Twisting the Aces, starting with a potted history of the effect, then more handlings than you can shake a stick at.

Beginning with Vernon's original, then explaining variations by Marlo, Walker, Forton, Hamman, Castillon, Racherbaumer, Smith, Bannon, England, Jennings, Goldstein, Alford, Duvivier, Cervon, Iglesis, Kane and Walton, suffice it to say it it well worth reading by anyone seriously interested in this plot.

Hallas' essential 'Small But Deadly' deserves to be in the library of every lover of card magic and is the best go-to reference work on this plot as well as (almost) all the others! He will (of course) point you in the direction of the original, but even better, he will also inform you of the best version of any of the many variations you may care to investigate. Easily the most referenced book in my library.

Paul, I'm very much looking forward to this new book too. It seems like it has been a long time coming. I've been sorely tempted to nick the title on several occasions! Congratulations mate, it should be a bestseller. One word of caution, though - make sure when you send it to Genii for review you do so on a month when Mike Close is doing the reviews Smile

Cheers,

Mark Elsdon
Check out The View From Here:
http://elsdon.blogspot.com/
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Paul Gordon's cardmans twisting the aces is by far the supreme version. It'll even fool magicians. PG is a genius.
PaulGordon
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of PaulGordon
Thank You, Andi.

Cardmans Twisting The Aces (PROTEAN CARD MAGIC) is one of my favourites, too. I originally devised it just to fool Alex Elmsley when I met him. It didn't, but he liked my handling a lot.

PG
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
I like JC Wagner's "Twisted Underground Transposition" from The Commercial Magic of J. C. Wagner.

The kings and aces are separated into two piles. The kings turn face down one at a time, and then magically switch places with the four face down aces.

Michael
relayer66
View Profile
New user
San Diego
54 Posts

Profile of relayer66
I've looked at quite a few and never found one I liked more than the original. It is so elegant and archetypal that I feel any additional climaxes are just "gilding the lily" and taking away from the effect.
Still, I haven't seen all of the routines listed above.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Best routine in print for Twisting the Aces? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL