The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Blatant exposure by Paul Nathan - Tradeshow magician » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
Quote:
On 2008-05-15 20:56, Robert M wrote:
Quote:

But to use the reasoning that exposure ruins the magic we perform because people now know how it works is a very week argument.

, Jonathan

For the record, it's weak... not week. ;-)

This has been an interesting thread. IMHO, some people are still missing the point. To me, this is all about ruining the next magician's show because you exposed a multiple lift or an Ascanio Spread or a pinky break, etc. for your own personal gratification. I honestly can't believe that some are still trying to defend what Paul Nathan is doing. It's just bad magic.

Robert

Robert, for what it's worth, I'm not condoning what this guy does, but I can't stop him from doing what he's doing. Given that, I might as well figure out how to deal with it in my own performances.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
Quote:

But to use the reasoning that exposure ruins the magic we perform because people now know how it works is a very week argument.

, Jonathan

This has been an interesting thread. IMHO, some people are still missing the point. To me, this is all about ruining the next magician's show because you exposed a multiple lift or an Ascanio Spread or a pinky break, etc. for your own personal gratification. I honestly can't believe that some are still trying to defend what Paul Nathan is doing. It's just bad magic.

Robert

Have you seriously seen another magicians performance ruined by exposure. Please explain a scenario in which this would happen. I beleive you are totally over reacting. If exposure is as bad as you seem to think it is then there should be hundreds of documented occurances that you could give as examples. But you and I both know it just doesn't happen.
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
BORING!!!! BORING!!!! BORING!!!!
1. Don't expose
2. Ok, cancel methods. Be flawless, but please for the love of (insert wacky belief here) why do you need your specs to believe that you are (insert wacky belief here) and if you have a(n) (insert wacky belief here) then you are going to (insert wacky belief here) anyway, so who cares.
3. Obey the rule of three
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think the only thing all of us can agree on from this thread is that a lot of magicians are horrible spellers.

And that ain't know jouke.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
gr8tones
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of gr8tones
I am one who believes in secrets remaining secret. I once complained over a magic store openly advertising a magic lecture. A well known magician put me in my place. I have had 30 years to think about it. The more people learn about magic the larger our art grows. A well presented routine often fools and frequently intertains me. I still stress over any revelations. Lay people know way too much for me. In the 30 plus years I must admit that our art has grown leaps and bounds.
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2008-05-16 00:00, Frank Starsini wrote:
I think the only thing all of us can agree on from this thread is that a lot of magicians are horrible spellers.

I often post from my phone. So I may miss some things now and then.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Quote:
On 2008-05-15 22:17, kammagic wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

, Jonathan

Robert

Have you seriously seen another magicians performance ruined by exposure. Please explain a scenario in which this would happen. I beleive you are totally over reacting. If exposure is as bad as you seem to think it is then there should be hundreds of documented occurances that you could give as examples. But you and I both know it just doesn't happen.

Yes, it happened to me. (See Page 1)

Hundreds of "documented occurrences"? Who exactly is in charge of documenting these occurrences? ;-)

It may not have happened to you yet, but when (and if) it does, I think you might change your tune. That's all I'm saying.

This has been a good discussion. Lots of interesting viewpoints. I just hope there aren't any more Paul Nathans out there.

Robert
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Quote:
On 2008-05-16 00:00, Frank Starsini wrote:

I disagree entirely, I think Most magicians are good spelers... a few ned help typiong thouggh..

Ok joking aside. Why is it that since Penn and Teller tipped the Cups and Balls routine, suddenly it's perfectly ok to expose? I remember growing up hearing that magicians never reveal their secrets. I will admit, half the appeal of being a magician is that sacred oath. I feel like I am in a secret club. it has romance.

The romance of it does not JUST appeal to the spectator, but to the magician as well. I am Mysterious, my code sets me apart... you get the point.

Now Nathan exposes himself, and Not only are spectators forced into learning crap they may not want to know...but my secret vow is cheapened, My secret club...less secret. It ruins my perception of what magic is. It tarnishes what I thought magic was supposed to be. So to answer above. Yes Nathan has affected me, even if no one has been able to say.." oooh that's a DL...and that is a blah blah blah." My experience seems less mysterious, less romantic than it was before I heard of this Nathan guy.

But there have been plenty of people exposing themselves you say? That's not the point. There will always be exposers. What has tarnished it for me is the volume of Nathan's Apologists. The general division in the community. I expected that he would be decisively shouted down... that we would be a union against exposure. But it just seems for many it's " oh well, no big deal... why all the fuss?"

And to me that's the big deal. The general lack of concern in many magicians that do not seem to be concerned.
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2008-05-07 12:14, Robert M wrote:
I remember doing what I thought was my best material for a group one time, and a woman kept interupting and explaining how each trick was done. I stopped the performance early, and later asked her how she knew? She said "My pastor is an amateur magician, and he always explains how his tricks work."

Exposure sucks, especially when it's this blatant. Why on earth would Paul Nathan or any magician do this? Doesn't make sense.

Robert

PS - Still love Penn & Teller though - probably because I don't do the cups and balls!#%&!

Did the pastor tell this woman to go around making trouble for magicians? ...no. She is a rude person. The reason she inturupted you was because who she was and not the information she had attained. Honestly this does not sound like you were doing a paid performance here. If it had been the audience should shut her down imediately or you should of taken her aside and explained to her how God would strike her down. Smile just kidding. But you need to speak to the person in a way they understand. Exposure is not the reason this woman is rude and annoying.
You could of told here since she knows about magic she could help you out. Then involve her in an effect that makes her look like the hero. She will be your friend after that. Once you have her as a friend ask her to help you out and not ruin the show for the other guests. After all you just made her a magician so she will get a kick out of now keeping the secret.
Its our job to come off as likable. People should not want to attack our performances. People are rude on their own it is not exposure that makes them that way.
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Hmmm.. that sounds Like If I get mugged by a mugger with a Gun, I should realize the Gun had nothing to do with it. After all, the mugger would have robbed me even if he were barehanded. Umm...the gun really helps though, you agree?

Same here. Whether she would have been rude regardless is beside the point. She was a rude person with ammunition. And the ammunition was given ti her by an exposer.

If she had not had that ammunition, she may never have said a word. Having nothing to say. An exposer takes rude people, and gives them ammunition. Like an illegal gun merchant arms muggers with weapons making them more dangerous.

My feeling is if we do not arm rude people with ammunition, we make them less dangerous, since all they have is ...nothing.

Kind of Like the mugger. If he had no gun would he still try to mug me? More than Likely yes...but he would also be easier to deal with if he had no gun.

Why do we keep arguing that it is perfectly fine to arm rude people with ammunition to burn other magicians? Seems instead of yelling at Nathan for exposing, which then makes it harder for Robert, you are criticizing Robert for not handling the rudeness that has been given ammo by Nathan...while applauding Nathan, for coming up with a cool way to make his routine better.

Robert did nothing wrong. Nathan did. Why are people defending Nathan, while telling Robert..., " Bring up your game dude."
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
Clarissa,

I learned not too long ago that any attempt to get something productive going so as to deal with these sorts of guys usually results in an argument that abounds in ego and semantics. There are people who swear that the worst exposure in the world doesn't affect them, and there are people who think that magic stores who let anybody in the front door are part of the problem. With a range like that, attempts at coming to some sort of consensus are doomed from the start. That's why I've been putting work into the series, because I knew the problem was real, but I also knew I wasn't going to get any help from the magic community at large dealing with it.

If you do a search on here you might find a lengthy thread about a petition against Youtube exposure, and if you read it, you'll confront a hard truth -- magicians can be a really flaky bunch sometimes.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2008-05-16 16:42, erlandish wrote:
. . . magicians can be a really flaky bunch sometimes.

Another illusion exposed.

You're harsh, man: very harsh.

;)
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Anyway... Tomorrow I head to Tannens to pick up Darwin Ortiz's Strong Magic and Designing Miracles.

I took a look at Erland's website. And I have to admit, the idea of designing my own routines has a lot going for it. It's true that laypeople focus more on a routine and may know how a routine is done, but the sleights themselves in other routines fly right over their head.

If I cannot get a bunch of magicians to agree that "Exposure ...is...bad." ( I mean like DUHHH) then the least I can do is Bring my game up.
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2008-05-16 15:33, clarissa35f wrote:
Hmmm.. that sounds Like If I get mugged by a mugger with a Gun, I should realize the Gun had nothing to do with it. After all, the mugger would have robbed me even if he were barehanded. Umm...the gun really helps though, you agree?

Same here. Whether she would have been rude regardless is beside the point. She was a rude person with ammunition. And the ammunition was given ti her by an exposer.

If she had not had that ammunition, she may never have said a word. Having nothing to say. An exposer takes rude people, and gives them ammunition. Like an illegal gun merchant arms muggers with weapons making them more dangerous.

My feeling is if we do not arm rude people with ammunition, we make them less dangerous, since all they have is ...nothing.

Kind of Like the mugger. If he had no gun would he still try to mug me? More than Likely yes...but he would also be easier to deal with if he had no gun.

Why do we keep arguing that it is perfectly fine to arm rude people with ammunition to burn other magicians? Seems instead of yelling at Nathan for exposing, which then makes it harder for Robert, you are criticizing Robert for not handling the rudeness that has been given ammo by Nathan...while applauding Nathan, for coming up with a cool way to make his routine better.

Robert did nothing wrong. Nathan did. Why are people defending Nathan, while telling Robert..., " Bring up your game dude."

If a muggers objective is to mug you he will use whatever means necessarry to intimidate you. Gun, knife, his hands, a partner. I have access to guns and other weapons. Does that make me a mugger?

If it is someone's objective to ruin a professional magicians performance they will find the information somewhere. Simply exposing a polite mature person to our secrets will not make them use these secrets against us. It is the imature rude jerks that would bother a professional during a performance. Exposing magic does not create these people, they already exist by the thousands. A professional needs to learn how to deal with jerks because they are a reality. Stop blaming their existence on exposure.
MAGICofSeth
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of MAGICofSeth
Wow this topic has a lot of posts and strong opinions!

Here are my humble two cents:

Audience control is an important part of our repertoire. Any of us that perform in setting where the audience has the ability to disrupt the performance, which should be most of us, understands that we can not simply go on stage and expect everyone to think we are the greatest. Many audiences want you to prove yourself to them first, before they are willing to sit back and enjoy the show. Sad- but true. I find it more on the west coast than the east coast. The east coasters seem to show up for a good time, but out where I am now there is a quick battle at first to win them over, then you can have fun with them. Anyways- one of the most common question I am asked by amateurs is, "How come they never grab the cards from you when you do the trick, but they always try to grab the cards from me after the trick?" The answer is simple, friends. Control. It is subtle if done correctly, and pertinent to any successful performance. It is NOT forcing your audience to sit down, be quite, and clap when I tell you to. It IS handling hecklers, expose-rs, and people who need to be the center of attention during your show with gentle but firm hands. I fear we can not do much to prevent the exposure of our craft. Even the amateur videos on You Tube end exposing some tricks unintentionally. What we can do is provide entertainment that does not expose our own methods, and handle the hecklers who think they know. Maybe start off with a couple of "Sucker" tricks so that they stop trying to figure you out. Maybe tie a heckler up on stage (not kidding) and tell them you'll use them for an effect later, and then not get to it. There are many books about handling your audiences. Let's not allow exposure to ruin our own performances.

There's my way too long post. Thanks for reading!
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2008-05-16 17:46, MAGICofSeth wrote:
Wow this topic has a lot of posts and strong opinions!

Here are my humble two cents:

Audience control is an important part of our repertoire. Any of us that perform in setting where the audience has the ability to disrupt the performance, which should be most of us, understands that we can not simply go on stage and expect everyone to think we are the greatest. Many audiences want you to prove yourself to them first, before they are willing to sit back and enjoy the show. Sad- but true. I find it more on the west coast than the east coast. The east coasters seem to show up for a good time, but out where I am now there is a quick battle at first to win them over, then you can have fun with them. Anyways- one of the most common question I am asked by amateurs is, "How come they never grab the cards from you when you do the trick, but they always try to grab the cards from me after the trick?" The answer is simple, friends. Control. It is subtle if done correctly, and pertinent to any successful performance. It is NOT forcing your audience to sit down, be quite, and clap when I tell you to. It IS handling hecklers, expose-rs, and people who need to be the center of attention during your show with gentle but firm hands. I fear we can not do much to prevent the exposure of our craft. Even the amateur videos on You Tube end exposing some tricks unintentionally. What we can do is provide entertainment that does not expose our own methods, and handle the hecklers who think they know. Maybe start off with a couple of "Sucker" tricks so that they stop trying to figure you out. Maybe tie a heckler up on stage (not kidding) and tell them you'll use them for an effect later, and then not get to it. There are many books about handling your audiences. Let's not allow exposure to ruin our own performances.

There's my way too long post. Thanks for reading!

Exactly! Thank you. Great post.
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Quote:
On 2008-05-16 17:36, kammagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-16 15:33, clarissa35f wrote:

If a muggers objective is to mug you he will use whatever means necessarry to intimidate you. Gun, knife, his hands, a partner. I have access to guns and other weapons. Does that make me a mugger?

If it is someone's objective to ruin a professional magicians performance they will find the information somewhere. Simply exposing a polite mature person to our secrets will not make them use these secrets against us. It is the imature rude jerks that would bother a professional during a performance. Exposing magic does not create these people, they already exist by the thousands. A professional needs to learn how to deal with jerks because they are a reality. Stop blaming their existence on exposure.

Hmm seems you are reading what I type. And understanding what you wish. Exposure does not create rude people. Exposure arms rude people with more ammunition than they should have.

Would they be rude without it? yes. Are they more of a pain with it? yes. Why ? because someone gave them ammunition. Someone like Paul Nathan.

Of course we need to do what we can to handle the rude in our audiences. All I am saying is, it is easier to handle someone that mainly says.." saw this before...boring." than someone that says." Ok, Now he has 2 cards instead of one... and here he's hiding 2 other cards...ok..see how he uses his pinky? he's doing... blah blah blah..."

The second is only possible because the exposers among us allow it to happen by educating them... Like Paul Nathan.

Do I agree that there will always be exposure? Of course. Should we be so lackadaisical about it? I don't think so. One of our own blatantly went against the code we claim to live by. The oath we claim we swore. And instead of saying. " That was messed up, he should not have done that." Some are saying.." No skin off my nose.. what do I care." others are saying.." he had an excuse it made Mac Aces better." and another group is saying.." This is no big deal..."

Why swear an oath at all? Why claim to live by a code of secrecy, if the moment someone in our community violates it some say.." phhhtttt... no worries."

Of course I will " Bring my A game." that's not what this is about to me. I just feel like a magician should want to speak up about Not exposing, and keeping secrets, secret. Is exposure bad for magic? Yes, to the extent that many can just say.." Hey, it's not really bad that all this exposure is going on." I think that it is. I do not think that when Mark Wilson was learning magic...or Harry Blackstone, or Harry Houdini, that They were saying.." well, if someone exposes ..it's no big deal." and yet..we have that now.

Exposure bad for magic? I think we have proof right there.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Blatant exposure by Paul Nathan - Tradeshow magician » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL