The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Where to get the best silks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I just bought the Fun. Inc. 6-foot "Rabbit in the Hat" silk, and it is every bit as good as the original SKS version. It seems to be 6 momme. Colors are very vivid - I am so tickled with this! The only thing missing is the SKS logo in the corner.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I love all my Rice/SKS silks (and I have plenty of 'em), and my P&A Blendo is awesome, especially considering the price I paid. I've heard recently that P&A (Peter White) isn't answering the phone (disconnected) and no more emails or website updates. This may be due to a stroke...I don't know for sure, but have heard/read that recently. Anybody confirm/deny this?

Steve Thomas
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Steve,

He didn't have a stroke, but he did have a flare-up of Lyme disease. As I understand it, he's okay, but I don't know why his phone has been disconnected and his e-mail gets "bounced". I have been trying to find out how to get in touch with him (see post further down), but so far I haven't had any luck.

We used to talk a couple of times a year, but not lately. If anyone knows how to get in touch with him, I would appreciate the information.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The Fun Inc. Rice repros are probably closer to a 5 momme. They are pretty transparent especially the 36' silks.

However, the price is right and if you back the silk up as I have done with another black 8 momme silk, it should hold up pretty good. I would reinforce the upper edge at least where you would always grab it to pull it out and display. A peice of ribbon on each side sandwiching the silk between would work. Also add a couple of loops or buttons ( different sizes for colors for right and left hands) to pull it out with.

I had to repair a Giant Rice silk flag that had literally had the weave pulled out of it by use. I had to try to match the dye color and even draw in a star to fix it. Believe, prevention is much better than repair.

I have also made suitable dragon zombie foulards using the Fun Inc. dragon by repainting the border and backing it up with a black silk.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There are still some original Rice silks available. Harold Rice's daughter Ruth can be reached here on The Magic Café. She is also one of the people who make the Magic Café financially possible.

Her name here on The Magic Café is Rice.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/bb_pr......ser=2860

http://www.silkkingmagic.com

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Richard Hughes does great designer silk work . . . He made me some great Aladin silks recently, and Bob Sanders sells very high quality silks and silk trick props and for a great price. I bought Sanders' 20th Century silks very recently and was thrilled that his come with the silks sewn together, rather than making you prepare each time by refolding. Some excellent silk sellers on this very thread wary of excessive self-promotion, it seems. But I'll be glad to do it for them. Sanders in particular offers excellent quality for an unbeatable price. Ask him for his price list.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Thanks.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
In my collection I think I have one of everyone's type and would rank them rather than staying with one supplier.

For Custom work - and actually getting it on time -- Richard Hughes has earned a reputation for being an honest broker with great product.

P&A often has had difficulty making deadlines on specials. I have a complete set of VHS tapes Peter made some years ago on silk folding, tricks, effects and care-- and while the production values were miserable the information is some of the best ever recorded outside the Rice Encyclopedia. For work from their stock line (current) I have found P&A to be a superior brand of workhorse standing up to the rigors of multiple performances without fading, catches, rips or tears. The luxury of the heavier but still compressible silk just (to me) feels more professional and seems to hang better in light. Their props for silk use (Mirror tube for 6 footers, astro production, and huge brass genii tube are prized parts of my collection. Very expensive and worth every penny!

I have also acquired a number of both new and old SKS pieces and for stock magic effects they have no peer. Many of their older patterns are coming (deservedly) back into vogue and are affordable....but, to me are too widely available to allow me to be unique in my markets.

Some years ago I visited Mark Trimble at his studio -- and acquired a wonderful custom 30" dragon silk I value because it is unique. Trimble had specialized in gimmicked silk (packaged) tricks and showed me how much work was involved. If he has quit -- I can understand why, but I found his package stuff easy to use right out of the box. It was lighter than the P&A but works well for parlor gigs.

Lauglin's silks for economy can be good -- but I did not find them sturdy enough for regular 2 a night performance. His instructional videos are good though.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Thanks Greg.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2008-11-02 22:06, Mumblemore wrote:
Richard Hughes does great designer silk work . . . He made me some great Aladin silks recently, and Bob Sanders sells very high quality silks and silk trick props and for a great price. I bought Sanders' 20th Century silks very recently and was thrilled that his come with the silks sewn together, rather than making you prepare each time by refolding. Some excellent silk sellers on this very thread wary of excessive self-promotion, it seems. But I'll be glad to do it for them. Sanders in particular offers excellent quality for an unbeatable price. Ask him for his price list.

Todd,

I'm sorry for the delay. This post escaped me until now. I certainly agree. Richard Hughes is indeed an artist.

Thank you for the kind words about my products too. We try hard to keep the products up to the standards you pros demand as in the case of our 20th Century Silks with all three silks can be shown as square and are made to help avoid confusing top and bottom so there is no accidentally dumping of a load. (They are also available in 24" silks!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Where to get the best silks? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL