The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How do you decide what's right and wrong? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I eat an apple.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21006 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I do what I want and assume I am right.

Is that wrong?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
calamari
View Profile
Elite user
The San Francisco Bay Area
429 Posts

Profile of calamari
Quote:
On 2008-05-08 16:30, kcg5 wrote:
The golden rule

unless you are a sado masochist(sp)
"I came, I saw, SHE conquered." (The original Latin seems to have been garbled.)
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Lol
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2464 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
"Do not do to others what you would not have others do to you"
Hoff Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
258 Posts

Profile of Hoff Man
My parole officer decides these things for me.

Steve
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
If I feel guilty afterwards ... I was wrong.
After which, I know to choose the red pill.
POOF!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27242 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Contextually?

arbitrarily?

right for who?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
The Social contract is a good start. "Your rights are bound only by the rights of others." You can do anything you want, so long as your actions, or wants, do not bind the rights of others to do likewise.

From there, I try to improve the world I live in. I try to contribute more than I take. I'm very careful not to take more than I deserve. I don't pass people signaling that they are entering my lane. I don't play my music loud enough to invade the space of others. I always try to give a penny. I try to never take a penny. I try to consider how my actions might effect others, before I decide on them. I try to create things. I try not to destroy things. If I decide to do a job, I do it as well as I am able. If I'm not going to do a job as well as I am able, I give two weeks notice, and do the job as well as I'm able, for two more weeks.
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Quote:
On 2008-05-08 16:57, stoneunhinged wrote:

Here is TRUTH:

:stout:

Yeah man! Guinness is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me Arthur!!

Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Quote:
On 2008-05-08 17:09, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-08 16:36, BSutter wrote:
If one needs to ask what is wright or wrong then one probably already knows the answer and is seeking justification. My rule is, when in doubt, don't.

Regards,
Bill

This is often the case. But sometimes we do have to make painfully difficult decisions. Have you never been in the position when every choice seems to lead to problems?

John

In my experience, if EVERY choice leads to problems, I am looking in the wrong direction.

Bill
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
WWJD?

But I don't trust some warped politician or manic fake preacher give me the answer to that question. I pray, do some Bible research, and then make my own decision based on my belief, my mind, and my conscience. I'm not always right, but at least I know I tried to do the right thing.

If I don't have time for research, I do what everyone else does: I wing it. And I pray that God will lead me to the right choice.

It doesn't always work, by the way. But that's on me.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Quote:
On 2008-05-08 16:04, stoneunhinged wrote:
I am not a relativist. Relativism is like a cancer in the modern world.

Truer words where never spoken. Except maybe for these:
"Love the Lord your God, with all your heart, soul, and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. In these are the law and the prophets fulfilled."
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Obviously, I make a lot of wrong decisions; I think I'm right and am told that I am wrong. I've made the wrong turn and ended up in the right place, once. All my choices in women have been wrong, even though it felt so right at the moment.

Basically I look at it like this, from the movie the Wizard of Oz; "Are you a good witch, or you a bad witch?"

I try to be a good witch.

But then again, I don't know if that's the right decision or not?

Still trying to figure it out...
calamari
View Profile
Elite user
The San Francisco Bay Area
429 Posts

Profile of calamari
"are you a good witch or a bad witch... get out of my way I want a sandwich"
to quote John Pennett
"I came, I saw, SHE conquered." (The original Latin seems to have been garbled.)
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Quote:
On 2008-05-08 16:57, stoneunhinged wrote:
Mark, that's !@#$%^&*. The choices aren't Kant or Hume, but Kant and Hegel. Wait. Kant and Aristotle. Wait. Aristotle and Hegel. Wait. Plato and Aristotle. Or Aristotle and Hume. Wait...wait...wait.

Forget philosophers. All philosophers are pederasts and failed magicians. Go read religious texts.

Or don't.

Here is TRUTH:

Now you're talkin'
What would Wavy do?
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4570 Posts

Profile of Payne
Since there are no knowable moral absolutes I long ago became a something of a relativist (as is everyone to one dgree or another) so it depends on the situation and the severity of the action for me to deem it right or wrong.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
There are no knowable absolutes... Are you absolutely certain?
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4570 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-05-09 18:54, GlenD wrote:
There are no knowable absolutes... Are you absolutely certain?

Knowable moral absolutes yes, no knowable absolutes. There are physical absolutes. The periodic Table, Atomic Decay, Speed of Light etc. Discernible and measurable events that so far have proved to be constant. But how do you measure morality?
How would you know for certain if what you thought where moral absolutes where in fact the real moral absolutes or if any moral absolutes exist?
What if what you think are moral absolutes don't mesh with what someone else thinks are moral absolutes?
What mechanism do you use to determine whose moral absolutes are the real moral absolutes or if there are in fact any moral absolutes at all?
Isn't it better to come to a consensus of what is generally regarded as right or wrong, or in the best interest of society and work from there?
Over the ages variations of the golden Rule have generally been decreed as the best starting point for a common understanding of right and wrong. We however have no way of truly knowing whether this is in anyway based on absolute moral values.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
[quote]On 2008-05-09 19:34, Payne wrote:
Quote:

What if what you think are moral absolutes don't mesh with what someone else thinks are moral absolutes?

If by "don't mesh" you mean are in direct conflict, then at least one of you is wrong.

I agree with you that there are no knowable moral absolutes, but I believe that there are, nonetheless, moral absolutes.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How do you decide what's right and wrong? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL