The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Black light effect with a spotlight? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cashetta
View Profile
Regular user
Rehoboth Beach, DE
128 Posts

Profile of Cashetta
Hey everyone
I am using Glo thread in my theater and would ideally like to use some type of gels in front of the spotlight to create a black light effect. Is this even a possibility? I'm trying to avoid purchasing a very expensive light. Also the ceiling is so high in the theater I cannot use the typical black light bulbs on the market.

Any advice would be a huge help!

Thanks!!!
mgcmal
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of mgcmal
Hey Cashetta, any dark purple gell will do, there is a color by Rosco that is used just for this, but I can't recall the # off hand. If you do use the spot light, you may need to double or tripple the gel to get the saturation you need. Hope this helps.
Cashetta
View Profile
Regular user
Rehoboth Beach, DE
128 Posts

Profile of Cashetta
Im going to order it now.

Thanks so much!
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
Do you have movers in the show ? If so , simply use the UV color on the color wheel.
Doubling up a gel on a spot might work relative to the actual strength of the spot - I would recommend not doing this on anything less than a 1000W spot and that might not be enough.
We just lit this same effect at the WMS in Vegas - the entire routine comes off better is you can use a special.
Hope this helps
Steven
Steven Kline
<BR><BR>www.stevenkline.com
<BR><BR>www.stevenklineproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
Cashetta
View Profile
Regular user
Rehoboth Beach, DE
128 Posts

Profile of Cashetta
Hi Steven -
The lighting in the theater Im working is VERY limited and our best chance is really the spot.

Thanks for the advice though!
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-05-19 11:44, Cashetta wrote:
....our best chance is really the spot.

Cashetta,
If you are looking to make the glow thread glow with that NEON look then the spot will do NOTHING for you. If you use a purple Gel or even a UV Gel you will only get an effect where you make white things look purple and that's it.

Here is how a UV light works. Fluorescent Black Light bulbs are black so they block out all light spectrums other than UV light. Because the other light spectrums are blocked they cannot over power the UV light and you see the effects that UV light has on neon paints and bleached whites. Fluorescent bulbs produce the UV light but an incandesant bulb ( like in your spot light ) wont.

So... to make that thread glow you will need UV Fluorescent bulbs and not expect the gels to do it for you unless of course purple none glowing thread will do for you.

Best,

Tim
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I believe Tim is right on the mark re: Fluorescent UV lights.

I used to paint Starscapes on ceilings and,incandescent blacklights had no effect.However,a Fluorescent UV light would charge the glow paint up so that the stars would be visible,long after all the lights were turned off.Very effective.

Cashetta,I am not sure about your use for these,but the fluorecent UV fixtures do not need to be mounted on a ceiling to be effective.Some come with stands.

Rich

http://tinyurl.com/5lpy4w
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
Although I HATE these fixtures - a 48" black light would work well for this.Unfortunately, they are not very powerful but if the effect is done on a stool , downstage, the fixture can be placed at the foot of the stool.
Hope this helps
Steven
Steven Kline
<BR><BR>www.stevenkline.com
<BR><BR>www.stevenklineproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
Cashetta
View Profile
Regular user
Rehoboth Beach, DE
128 Posts

Profile of Cashetta
Hey guys
I really appreciate all of the input. I think in this theater Im just going to have to go with the 48" black lights. I used them in this theater once and the positioning was off and difficult for the audience to see
HighnTight
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, GA
5 Posts

Profile of HighnTight
Cashetta,
Saw your act while floating in the Mediterranean in July. You were one of the highlights of our vacation!

On to the subject at hand...consider floor-mounting the fluorecent lamps. They will be much closer to what you are trying to illuminate, and the closer you are, the more "punch" you will get!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Black light effect with a spotlight? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL