The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Mix N Mingle (Shaun McCree): Opinions and/or Review Wanted (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
I have been looking at possibly buying this 2 DVD set by Shaun McCree for quite a while now. Though I have seen some rave reviews, and a couple of not so rave reviews (not many at all) , I haven't actually seen a review here at the Café.

That being said, if someone could point me in the right direction I would be greatly appreciative!
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
rubadubdub
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of rubadubdub
In two words Chappo-Get Them.

You will not be dissapointed.

Best

John Carey
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hi Chappo,

As the producer of this DVD set I'd like to say that this is one of the favorite projects that I've worked on. Shaun tips all of his working material and this is extensive. There really is no padding or filler, just material that he works week in week out.

You can see a trailer on our website.

Best,
Russ
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
@Rubadubdub: Thanks for that mate. Surprisingly enough, I have had ALOT 2 word responses like this. Smile If they are that good, I certainly will consider the prospect.

@ Russ: Wow! Looks like I'm looking in the right place then eh? Thanks for the comment. I am certainly looking for (wait for it) 'utterly cmmercial material that you can use in the real world' (If I had a buck every time I've heard that). I have seen various trailers all round the web and they all look rather good!

I'll actually come back and post a review once I purchase the set. Smile

Thanks again lads!

baobow
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of baobow
Here's an old thread:-

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=111

I bought the set based on the reviews from the thread. Great magic overall.
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Thanks for the link baobow... Saves me some work and saves this thread Smile

rubadubdub
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of rubadubdub
No wuckin furries Chappo.LOL
There is a lovely signature fusion type effect on Shauns dvds which is a winner.
Another favourite is a sandwich effect with a hypnosis theme which I just love performing.

Have fun mate.

Best

John
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Could you tell me the name of the signature fusion effect and the sandwich effect please?

Thank you!

Carsten
Optimists have more fun.....
rubadubdub
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of rubadubdub
Will get back to you with the names of these two effects Carsten.
double_lift
View Profile
Veteran user
Platform 9 3/4
355 Posts

Profile of double_lift
Hi Carsten,

The names of the effects are 'Second Inkstain' and 'Hypnosis'.
"There's a world of difference between the spectators not knowing how something is done and them knowing that it can't be done."
(Simon Aronson)
rubadubdub
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of rubadubdub
Thanks for helping Carsten out DL.

These two items are winners

Best

John Carey
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Just purchased this DVD and received it from Penguin magic today. There is already a link provided above, but here it is again anyway:

Quote:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=208526&forum=111

I had originally promised a review, but as there is already in existence that does the set justice I will post my thoughts:

CHAPPO's THOUGHTS:

Brilliant. Becoming of a great entertainer and Bl**dy genius.

I had initial misconceptions about this DVD when I purchased Party Animal by Matthew Dowden. Whilst I enjoyed the DVD and it's effects therein, I find myself somewhat ambivalent about Dowden's presentational skills. Whether or not I am overly picky of professionals, that remains to be seen... But in this case there were a number of definitive shortcomings that either irked me or made me grimace thinking "Ouch. Well... I'll never do THAT!"

And then this little gem came to light. I had a little trepidation initially, as it's been made by the same production team as Party Animal, and the DVD claims to be "A virtual passport to a professional magic career". That in itself was a pretty sweeping statement and made me worry.

As you can see, I asked about a bit in the Café community and I received only glowing reports. Having made up my mind , I got it and received it today.

Shaun McCree is a real Diamond in the rough. He is an ultimately-unassuming, mild-tempered, glasses-wearing pommy... but when he gets a deck of cards in his hands... He turns into one of the most funniest, smoothest entertainers I have ever seen. Shaun's presentation really clicked with me right from the very first routine I watched and needless to say the effects themselves really are incredible. 'MYOPIA', in my opinion (and I'm not the first to say this) is worth the DVD alone. Absolute genius; highly visual and hysterical to watch. This man and his effects was, to me, a god send. Words cannot express how impressed I was with this DVD.

People will most certainly disagree with me on this, and that is fine. For some, Shaun's presentation style may be too quirky, others may not like the overall outcome of his routines. But in my opinion, this really is a gem. I would recommend this DVD to any intermediate or expert as it is suited to both.

Thanks to all who recommended this to me Smile Your comments have led me to one of the best purchases I think I will ever make.

And to Mr. Shaun McCree... MARRY ME!!! Smile

rubadubdub
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of rubadubdub
Treble top is another really nice piece on the dvds which involves 3 selections.
Check it out Chappo
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Quote:
On 2008-05-27 08:12, rubadubdub wrote:
Treble top is another really nice piece on the dvds which involves 3 selections.
Check it out Chappo

Yeah, saw this as well and loved it. There is only one routine on the DVD that I think I'll skip over. All the rest a great!

russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hi Chappo,

Glad that you finally took the plunge and bought the DVDs and best of all, enjoyed them. I've passed your post onto Shaun.

Best,
Russ
sileeni
View Profile
Loyal user
UK.
280 Posts

Profile of sileeni
Hi all,
I have worked with Shaun on many occasions, and he really does perform all the stuff on the dvd for lay people. He kills where ever he goes (not literally)
Im not sure Shaun will marry you Chappo, But what a great review.
I really believe Russ has cornered the market, producing top quality dvds, with awsome magicians.
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Quote:
On 2008-05-27 11:07, russ stevens wrote:
Hi Chappo,

Glad that you finally took the plunge and bought the DVDs and best of all, enjoyed them. I've passed your post onto Shaun.

Best,
Russ (rsvpmagic.com)

Thanks Russ!

Forgot to mention you as well! My hearty congratulations on such a great production. Also, if Shaun wishes say/add anything please feel free to pass this on to me.

Cheers!

Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Apologies for the double post, but I think this is very necassary to put down for everybody to see.

I was recently contacted by Mr. Matthew Dowden (featured magician of Party Animal) and made me think about my initial contrast I created between this DVD and Shaun McCrees Mix N Mingle. There are certainly some discrepancies that I NEED to expand on, otherwise it would not be fair to Matt... So here is the message I sent back to him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really do appreciate the fact that you have dropped me a line, a much lesser magi; who has made rather denigrating comments on one of your releases. Please let me expand:

1. Do not get me wrong... I LOVED Party Animal. The contents and routines are (as you said) fantastically commercial (Big cheesy grin Smile ) and your handlings are nothing short of pure suaveness. The DVD was worth every penny.

2. The only short coming for me were some sporadic things that just made me go "Ooo... Ouchies." I have come from a corporate entertainment background in the area of roving acting/corporate impersonation (no comments please Smile ) That being said, this performance approach has had a great effect on the way I prefer to present my magic. I guess that this is just debatable point of professional opinion where everybody will have a differing argument. However, I am certainly not one to criticise you. You're a professional, and as for what you're doing... well... It's certainly working for you. I aint exactly got that many DVD's of mine in circulation. Smile

I will actually post this comment in the thread where I talked about P.A. I would also be greatly appreciative if you could post a message/PM me back to let me know if you have received this.

Thanks again mate!

Chappo
-------------------------------------------

Comments welcomed.

mjdowden
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of mjdowden
Hi there,

Thanks for that Chappo.

I would like to point out that I wasn't offended in any way by what Chappo said because he was kind enough to point out to me that he enjoyed Party Animal and thought the content was great and, to me, that is all I hope for when people buy it. I am definitely cheesy, and my style might not be for everyone, but there again, if we were all the same, things would get very boring very quickly.

Anyway, thanks again, and keep the comments coming! Smile All the best to everyone.

Matthew
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Very mature answer Matthew. Well done.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Mix N Mingle (Shaun McCree): Opinions and/or Review Wanted (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL