We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Newspaper Tear Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of VIEW
I read recently in an old manuscript about an impromptu (yes, that's right) effect done with a newspaper. Here's how the effect is described
------------------------
An unplanned miracle done with any newspaper any time. Your spectator selects a double page spread and tears it in half, dropping one half and continuing the tearing and dropping of either half as directed by the magician using seemingly free choice. When the page is down to about a quarter of it's size, or smaller, the spectator chooses the largest printed word on that page - and the mentalist has legitimately predicted it. by legitimate, we mean, it was written before the page was selected and anything was torn.
------------------------

Ok the deal is, that's where the manuscript ends. Anyone familiar with this? has it been described anywhere else?
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of VIEW
Ps - not interested in the neo berglas method, as used in part by derren. I'm just intrigued by the impromptu nature of this.
R Gould
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of R Gould
Look at Barrie Richardson's "Word Flight", as described in his book "Theatre of the Mind".

He uses a bold and innovative method.

He does not instruct the spectator to "read the largest word on the page", rather he tells the spec to close her eyes keep tearing the newspaper until she has a small piece, then open them up and "let a word float up to her mind", then crumple and drop the piece.

She says the word. Mentalist has divined or predicted the word.

The principle can be used for a book test as well.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2453 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I came up with an impromptu method for this years ago & it's similar to something Docc Hilford published as well. I'll PM You...
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2453 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I saw Barrie do that at the Castle & it didn't work-I knew it wouldn't-there's too much audience management & he had a kinda' drunk girl assisting.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
R Gould
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of R Gould
It seems like Barrie's method would have a chance of failure built in, but that's the risk of doing such an awesome effect.

PM me about your method, Jerskin, I'd be interested in hearing it.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2453 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
When I read it I knew it was risky & when he got that girl up I knew it wasn't gonna' happen.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of VIEW
I would love to see barrie perform sometime.

how did he rescue it?
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2453 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Sent her back to her seat & moved on...
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Try "Mind, Myth, and Magick" ... T.A. Waters... has a whole section on this subject.

- Nicodemus
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
phil in KC
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of phil in KC
Barrie lectured here in KC a few years ago, and included this effect. Worked perfectly that time. I agree there's a risk, participant management is paramount -- and that includes the selection of the participant. Even the pros fail sometimes!

As for the impromptu prediction, I'd think the performer has to get a glance at the paper, and choose a section that has an unambiguous choice. Force that section on the participant, and viola! A miracle!

-Phil in KC
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2511 Posts

Profile of Waters
Check out Nostrum Necromancy! It can be performed as described. It is impromptu and very nicely structured. I think it is the answer for the conditions mentioned. It is loosely based on the ideas of Berglas and others.

Sean
ChuckHickok
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of ChuckHickok
Barrie's version is great.

My version of this classic can be found on page 45 of Mentalism, Incorporated: Volume Two.

If you own the book, you get a link to a Word Document that allows you to create an newspaper column that"forces" any word or any name of your choice.

Both Barrie's version and my version involve switching in the necessary pieces ... and are not that difficult.

Chuck Hickok
christiancagigal
View Profile
Special user
SF Bay Area
625 Posts

Profile of christiancagigal
I love your thinking on material, Mr. Hickok!

Lamyst,
I believe Harky has quite a bold version in his book too. So bold it doesn't require switches. It has it's good points and it's scary points (for the performer).

Worth adding to your research.

C
"Besides the known and the unknown, what else is there?"-Harold Pinter
www.christiancagigal.com
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Sean... Where can 'Nostrum Necromancy' be located?

TIA, - Nicodemus
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1261 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
The Harkey/Anderson version is called "Scatterbrain" and it can be found it their book "AH-HA!"
Nothing scary about it at all. The method is simple and direct, and it kills.
It's all in the reflexes.
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1583 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Quote:
On 2008-05-11 12:32, ChuckHickok wrote:
Barrie's version is great.

My version of this classic can be found on page 45 of Mentalism, Incorporated: Volume Two.

If you own the book, you get a link to a Word Document that allows you to create an newspaper column that"forces" any word or any name of your choice.

Both Barrie's version and my version involve switching in the necessary pieces ... and are not that difficult.

Chuck Hickok

Chuck's method is the best I have seen. If you don't have his books, why not? They are top notch!
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
tandy
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of tandy
Didn't marc salem use a method on the howard stern radio show? anyone know the history of that method?
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
The effect described by View -- only even better -- is one of corporate entertainer Tim Conover's "signature pieces." While there are any number of similar effects in print (e.g., Fogel's "Headline Hunter," Hickok's version and others) as far as I know Tim's effect is entirely his own and is not published (nor is it likely to be). Unlike most published methods it does NOT involve either a force or a switch. Several knowledgeable people have claimed to explain Tim's method to me but none of them have been correct and most weren't even close. I am not familiar with either "Scatterbrain" (but am trying to acquire a copy of "AH-HA") or Marc Salem's version of the effect so can't address any similarities of those with the others I know.
Dick Christian
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11547 Posts

Profile of John C
Don't forget Richard Marks' wonderful STOP THE PRESS from Mind Warp.

j
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Newspaper Tear Mentalism (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL