The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Enlightenment - My review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..19~20~21 [Next]
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5697 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2008-05-10 16:25, GarySumpter wrote:
Fair comments Chris, but even with these in mind, I give this a thumbs down.

Quote:
On 2008-05-10 18:05, GarySumpter wrote:
No fights here mate, just trying to get some answers to feel a bit better about the purchase...

Quote:
On 2008-05-10 19:58, Ben Harris wrote:
What are the questions, guys?

After reading all this stuff my head is in a spin.

OK Smileing time!

Smile Smile Smile

Quote:
On 2008-05-10 16:05, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I think a subtle rise is the best.

I DON'T have the 'Enlightenment'. However I have a fairly good idea about the working of the gimmick. Also I would like to say that I have my own method of levitating a card which, I believe, is almost similar in working to the Enlightenment gimmick. If so, you might like to try out a floating card effect the way I perform with my gimmick.

Place the gimmick at an angle. Now when the gimmick is activated, the card will rise and move slightly at an angle thus partially exposing two sides (one short and one long) of the deck of cards below. This creates a fantastic & a very realistic spooky illusion. Try it out and see it for yourself. (In the normal method only one short side is exposed.)

Enjoy!

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
Well I have not complained about the method, as mentionned before by myself and others, it was stated that you can look under the card while it is floating and the spec can grab the card from midair, this simply is not true. The effects in the demo (some) require a stronger magnet which really annoyed me,the paradigm shifter was a pointless purchase.

The Method is clever, as mentionned the method is not important but it simply doesn't do what we were led I believe, surely a refund is due because of that?
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
Having played with this for a couple of days I have to say that in the right environment with the right management and presentation this is easily one of the strongest levitations available..

Of course it will have it's restrictions, heck an invisible deck can't be handed out, shuffled or examined yet it has become the staple effect of many a pro and enthusiast.

Ben Harris has been incredibly open here on the Café, pretty much explaining what the whole thing is which never happens. What did I expect? pretty much what I received. Am a happy with it? 100% Yes.

Are there restrictions? Yes but they are easily managed with presentation, audience management and handling. Most importantly is the effect strong? 110% Yes.

No threads that could flash, especially with the annoying trend of candle light and white table cloths that frequent many venues these days.

A wonderful effect that may not be for everyone but in my opinion is exceptionally good..

Best

Spelmann
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5697 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2008-05-11 04:17, GarySumpter wrote:
1. . . . it was stated that you can look under the card while it is floating and the spec can grab the card from midair, this simply is not true.

2. The effects in the demo (some) require a stronger magnet which really annoyed me,the paradigm shifter was a pointless purchase.

Point #1: A very specific question was asked (in another thread) on this and Ben gave a very firm 'NO' as an answer.

Point #2: Ben had very clearly mentioned that Paradigm Shifter was just one such suggested magnet [for its reasonable size (for palming) & power]. He also mentioned that it was not necessary to buy the suggested magnet and one could use any magnet with appropriate power.

Smile
P.S. Please read my post (in the other thread) regarding power of the Shifter magnet.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=5558039
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
brainman
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of brainman
So now I learn that not every schoolboy will "perform" this (gooood!)as it is not the super selfworking easy to perform under all circumstances novelty gaff gimmick ... the right people will find the right way to perform this right...right?
I still look forward to receive it finally ; )
Best,
T
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1351 Posts

Profile of Piz
This reminds me of ET... Many hated it because they had to construct or had to spend more time (money) on it then thought...

ET remains my strongest Getty-up at my gigs, always to relay on!

Whatever steps need to be taken to achieve the levi shown in the demo, I will achieve! After reading all of Bens post, I think he explained this well enough to keep his name from being scrutinised.

OBAMA '08'!!!!
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
on top of a 14000' mountain in Colorado
356 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
The Krylon Magnetic Spray Paint is a bit of a misnomer. The paint itself is not magnetized in any way. It simply has some very small metal filings in the paint that are attracted by a magnet. And after playing around with some of this years ago it became obvious the attraction was very week and I couldn't find any practical applications for the paint (which is why it is still sitting around in my basement!).

Don't waste your money on the "Magnetic" spray paint.

Cheers!

** Bill **

Quote:
On 2008-05-10 17:54, Piz wrote:

This is clear I believe... http://www.krylon.com/products/magnetic_paint/

Card split, spray and float! Smile
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1974 Posts

Profile of The Mac
Okay, lets get a way way forward here.

Ben,

If you are thinking about a closed forum for buyers (which is a great idea for a device of multiple uses) then perhaps you can talk us through the lady demo and teach us some of the nuances that sell it. It worked very well because we were all fooled by that demo.

Another useful thread would be about different magnet sizes and the range they allow.
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2116 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hi everyone.

Marc, thanks for your thoughts.

Ustaad, thanks for your emphasis on key points.

Gary, if I understand correctly, you want a refund because you believe you've been deceived. Is that the guts of the matter? If so, who was your dealer? Gimme the name and email address and I'll see what I can do for you--to sort this to your satisfaction.

Mac, great idea. At this point you can address questions to me at ben@wowbound.com and I'll incorporate what I can (time permitting) at the blog. I will get the tech guy set up a closed forum type of thingy.

Cheers

Ben
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Rick
View Profile
Elite user
Va.
447 Posts

Profile of Rick
So far just 2 days now..ive had 2 good ways of using this in a patter form that is..im trying to think outside the box and incorp this into multiple effects...one, if you have a sanctum card as I do...he,he, this can be very dark....once again don't give up...just think when you got your cups and balls you said...now what......remember..but then with some thinking..you probably created good magic ,,,your own way with it...thats the way you have to look at this effect...ENLIGHTMENT. Thanks Ben....keep riding bro...
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5697 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Friends I am just sharing a few practical ideas that I have tried out! Smile

Further to my post above and I quote:-

Quote:
On 2008-05-11 04:13, Ustaad wrote:
Place the gimmick at an angle. Now when the gimmick is activated, the card will rise and move slightly at an angle thus partially exposing two sides (one short and one long) of the deck of cards below. This creates a fantastic & a very realistic spooky illusion. Try it out and see it for yourself. (In the normal method only one short side is exposed.)

Enjoy!

I tried the levitation (using my gimmick) with a Bicycle Black Tiger deck. And WOW, the contrast made the illusion look extremely spooky (with face-up selected card on a face-down deck). I have yet to think of a suitable patter for using a Black Tiger Deck. Anybody?!

Enjoy!

Smile
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
I have seen Ustaad's levitation and it looks good. Very good work.
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
I must say I am very impressed with Enlightenment.

It does what it says it does. Ok, the mention of a "magnetic sweet spot" in association with levitation could be interpreted as a bit "suggestive" and I did wonder if that magnetic "Levitron style" effect had (somehow) been wrestled into submission by Ben.

The freedom of a spectator being able to grab the card at one point or another or looking here there or anywhere, the size of the magnet people like to use and the effective range of such are all fair topics but are also quite subjective. We could all discuss and swap hair splitters on these endlessly so let's not. As many have said, it comes down to performance.

This is an effect, period. If Ben HAD developed a way of fully harnessing the elastic and bouncy nature of magnetisn within such a tiny package we wouldn't know about it. His friends and family would be wondering why he didn't answer the phone and there would be a large stack of milk bottles building up outside his door. The black cars would have driven him away a loooong time ago.

Ben has come up with a very small and controlable gimmick that is driven by and uses magnetic forces. These magnets operate a finely balanced mechanism that also helps to tame the normally associated wild jecking and "skittering" that one often sees with unrestrained magnet gimmicks. It is a nifty bit of mechanical engineering very well employed materials. OK, it isn't "perfect"... basically it isn't MAGIC but c'mon, did you actually expect real magic, don't we know better by now? It CAN do the things Ben suggested, the more bold claims will take a LOT more input and deication from the performer than "10 minutes after you open the box" (why is that always touted as a good thing I wonder?).

I think the worst you could lay at Ben's feet is that he is a talented magic inventor, a talented performer, a talented graphics artist and talented at telling us what we want to hear, and that's a good thing because he doesn't lie... if we choose to get all excited, run with that ball and get all knotted up because we are expecting a "dyed-in-the-wool" miracle for less than $100 that is self-working and REAL, we are just fools. I was foolishly hoping for real magic, what I GOT was a really good bit of magical kit and the fruits of Ben's hard work and I am absolutely thrilled!
Living at and loving Loch Ness!
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1351 Posts

Profile of Piz
Exellent TOM! I feel I will feel the same as you once recieved. I'm not one of those "Non-skilled" magicians who just want everything to work for me, I love a challenge, and actually love what I'm hearing about this effect! Looking forward to it's arrival, very tempted to kick the mail-mans azz and tell him to go search his warehouse and find it for me! Got me thinkin brother! Smile
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
I would like to get mine but seems the custom people like it so much they don't want to part with it.
RooMan
View Profile
Special user
Texas
703 Posts

Profile of RooMan
Good stuff, Tom. Wish I had mine in hand so I could fully agree. Somehow the excitement of being one of the "lucky 100" who were part of the "pre-release special" has dimmed completely. "Pre-release" should've read "POST-release"...you get it AFTER everybody else!

"Australian Postal: When it absolutely, positively has to be there within the month. Maybe two."

Let me add something to the "Levitron" hopes that many had. Be grateful this was NOT the method with Enlightenment. If Ben had somehow tackled this successfully and applied it to cardboard, paper and so forth, it's not the black cars he'd have to worry about. It would be the millions thrown at him by toy manufactuers. Every doll, action figure, cereal box toy, you-name-it would soon be floating...and that would mean the end of close-up levitations as a magical illusion.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Tom Lauten's reveiws are always spot on. He's a worker that...KNOWS WHAT WORKS in the real world. He's nailed what this effect is and what Ben's character is all about, as well.

Tom, thanks for sharing your valued thoughts!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1351 Posts

Profile of Piz
Chris, you do have one on the way, right? Just looking forward to hearing what ya think about it, as you have always shared (most) my views in the past, and always well respected my friend (as is Tom).
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-05-12 16:20, Piz wrote:
Chris, you do have one on the way, right? Just looking forward to hearing what ya think about it, as you have always shared (most) my views in the past, and always well respected my friend (as is Tom).

Mine is on the way. I've had high expectations and my review will reflect that.

Piz, PM me on anything I reviewed positive that you didn't agree. Sometimes I love stuff, but it's because of a handling I came up with.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2116 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hi Tom,

Thanks so much for your considered and balanced thoughts.

Chris, RooMan, the Hawk,

Guys, I'm so sorry about Australia Post. But seriously, they should be there any day.

We'll be uploading new "Drive Instructions" to our blog LATER today. These, in printed form, are now being added to all units when shipping. If you own Enlightenmnet or are thinking about it, these "additional instructions" should be read in conjunction with what is supplied with the boxed set. These instructions are part of our ongoing commitment to Enlightenment and are a direct result of user feedback.

Check the blog
http://www.wowbound.com

Ben
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Enlightenment - My review (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..19~20~21 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL