The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » In the market for a Hot Rod (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
Montgomery Village, Maryland
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
Hey Everybody...I hope this is the correct forum for this question.

I had a cheap black hot rod like 10 years ago when I was a little kid. I have since lost it and feel like it would be a nifty thing to carry around and do for people. One small problem is that if I want to do it more than once for the same group of people (though I try not to), it only changes to one color. I have heard of hot rods that you can control the color of, but I don't know anything about them.

Also, do you have any performance advice for the hot rod?

I know it's a dinky little thing, but it's such an easy prop to carry around.
Visit my blog: ScienceIsMagic.com
spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
359 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
Hey, Hot Rod is a classic!

Years ago there were these really cool clear plastic Hot Rods with really nice inlaid gems. I would get one of each color so if it was requested I could pick a different color. There was also an item (I forget the name) again clear plastic, the gems would vanish from a die and appear on the stick, this would happen in the spectator’s hand. These were always very fun to do, even though it’s old hat to us magician’s it was a new miracle to the spectators.

I have not seen the clear plastic versions around for quite some time but most magic dealers should carry some variation of this classic. Try your local magic store first.

Steven
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

www.MagicalArtCreations.com

www.StevenPaulCarlson.com
magicsantana
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of magicsantana
The hot rod is a grate trick. I used to take it for granted thought it was out dated, to easy to figaur out. Over the passed year I have seen the light. the standerd methed is still grate, my faverit is the one that has a thum tack on one side and two on the other.I think joe popper make one in teak. any way it realy got grate appeal.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Get the clear kind...they are the classiest. Smile
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
What's the benefit of the clear kind verses black? Does it enhance the illusion?

Any other suggestions?
spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
359 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
The black would sure set off the colored stones, but the clear makes it look so innocent, nothing to hide. You would be surprised at the “theories” some inquiring audience members come up with as to its working method, it’s quite humorous really. Because it’s see-through the clear Hot Rod makes it even more puzzling.

I’ll shoot a photo of it and try to attach it.

Steven
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Make some out of popsicle sticks.
You can paint the sticks or not, add things other than gems (stickers, small candies, etc, etc) or just use a marker to draw ESP shapes or something.
spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
359 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
I just checked on the internet and the clear ones are still available. Check with your local magic store first, they will also be able to offer performance suggestions as well.

Click here to view attached image.
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Hey loyaleagle,

If your wanting a nice hotrod that can do more than 1 color, look for Keith Walker's "Golden Rainbow Stik II". It does 4 colors, has no switches and is fully examinable after performance and both sides are the "selected color". Most magic shops have another version that does 2 colors. Both of the mentioned above are brass.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
Do you know where to get that/how much is costs, lunatik? I don't get any hits on google.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of lunatik
For the golden stik II, you'll have to ask in the "for sale" secion of the Café probably as they aren't being made any longer that I know of. as for the other one that does 2 changes? http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=553
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
502 Posts

Profile of Bendy
The Hot Rod is what caused me to cross over from magic observer to magic performer. It holds a very special place in my heart.

The transparent ones are cool. I've had people assume that the change is automatic - like the gems are rotating or popping out from inside the rod. The clear ones eliminate this thought from the spectators and tends to make a greater impact. I have a larger one that is clear and instead of gems that can fall out, the inlaid dots are painted. That one works well. They're about four or five bucks. Got mine from a local shop, so I can't tell you where to get one online.

I also have the Hot Rod Pen. It's a Bic-like pen; but it has dots painted on it. It can be used as a regular pen, is handy and neat and comes in the solid colors of blue and red. I carry both and can then repeat the trick with a different color. It's probably my favorite Hot Rod effect. They range from $1 each to $5 each. Most places charge about $3 each.

Precision Magic has anodized aluminum Hot Rods that are top notch, ($14). They're perfectly sized to perform the move, they are durable and TOUGH. I carry one in my back pocket and have never had the gems fall out and it's never bent up or anything. Looks brand new. I left one in my back pocket once and it went through the wash, went into the dryer, fell out of my pocket and bounced around inside a hot dryer for an hour. No scratches, dents or marks on that thing at all. The gems are so well placed that they didn't loosen or fall out. I have a couple of black ones - one with purple as the solid color and one with white as the solid color; so I can do that one twice. I have a color-changing Hot Rod from Precision Magic, too. The whole rod changes to match the color of the selected gem. Very cool. I also have a Chrome-plated Hot Rod from Precision Magic and the solid color on that one is blue. That looks GREAT against that chrome rod. Though I have not yet ordered a CUSTOM Hot Rod from Precision Magic, I know they have aluminum Hot Rods that you can have custom-made. You can choose the color of the rod, the color of the solid gem and you can even add graphics to the sides. You absolutely cannot go wrong with a Precision Magic Hot Rod.

There is also a "Street Rod" on the market available at various places. It's larger in size, made of aluminum, (silver in color), and has painted inlaid dots rather than gems. Tough, lightweight and big enough to play to a larger crowd. Worth a look. Mine was $7.

I also have a GOLD Hot Rod made by Magic King. It's metal, (aluminum or brass - I'm not sure which one), with an intricate, beveled/carved rod that is gold-plated. It has an elongated end where you can hold it without blocking any of the gems. It'll run you about $20. I dropped it once and one of the gems came out. I super-glued it back in and it hasn't come back out. That was a couple of years ago. It's flashy and the extra "handle" area is nice; but it's heavy and isn't as well-made as the Precision Hot Rods.

I have a T-6 Hot Rod, (this will also run you close to $20). It's lightweight aircraft aluminum with painted dots and you can actually perform TWO changes with it, (using the same method commonly seen in the brass Hot Rods). It's not examinable; but that's never been a problem for me.

The brass Hot Rods are nice because you can perform two changes and they are so well made that they hold up to examination. HOWEVER, they tarnish easily and I end up spending more time cleaning my brass Hot Rod than hot rodding with it! The brass ones run between $15 and $40 depending on the maker and where you buy them. Expect to pay somewhee in the middle.

Other tricks that use the same move that you might want to look into are Mark Jenest's "Number 2 Pencil" and the "Amazing Jumping Arrow."

Happy Hot Rodding!
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
You sir have a lot of hot rods....

But thanks a bunch for the info, that's everything I was looking for!
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
I love the look of the square clear plastic hot rod (with the gems) the best but I sometimes have difficulty turning it over. I just cannot seem to get a good grip on the finished "rounded" edge that all the clear hot rods (that I have ever seen) have. I've reluctantly gone over to the flat black plastic ones with the reflective tape. I prefer the jewels but they can only be set in the square hot rods. (sigh)
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
jgoldsney
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of jgoldsney
One of these days I plan on making my own set...I bought the gems years ago from a craft store....now I just have to get around to it I can make as many as I want and what ever color variations I want.

(I just plan on making the body out of wood and painting it)
-----------------------

There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand Binary and those who don't Smile
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
of magic in Jacksonville, FL
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
"Hot rod?" I thought. "I don't even like cars." But...I opened this forum anyway. THAT is a SWEET trick (the one penguin magic video link). Thanks for opening my eyes to this. I may have to pick one up, especially since they're examinable. That's one thing I really like about it.
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
Yeah it's definitely something worth trying out. The price is right.

Speaking of examinability...do you guys usually just hand out the one you worked with or switch it out first for one that looks like they expect it to on both sides? I feel like a spec might be able to figure out the trick just by looking at it...maybe I'm giving them too much credit.
jmoran76
View Profile
New user
West Palm Beach, FL
69 Posts

Profile of jmoran76
I hand it out half-way though. . .after I "change" one side to the selected color, and one side back to the different colors. I finish with one more change back to normal.
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
Quote:
On 2008-05-13 22:30, jmoran76 wrote:
I hand it out half-way though. . .after I "change" one side to the selected color, and one side back to the different colors. I finish with one more change back to normal.

Oh of course...good call.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I carry a black rod that turns to diamonds, since the gems show up really well on the black. I have a clear rod that turns to rubies, and the red shows up nicely on the clear rod. I think better gems would show up nicely on any colored rods.

I would like to a pair made up with the same arrangement of multi-colored gems, but with different changed gems. I used to have two black rods that changed to different colors for repeated performance, but someone caught the different order and said "that's not the same rod".
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » In the market for a Hot Rod (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL