The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » The Cross by Dean Dill (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicMattMan
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
741 Posts

Profile of MagicMattMan
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not, none will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."Hebrews 13:2
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Yup, that's what it looks like. Nice effect. No explanation is necessary (to quote Dunninger).

Everyone should go see Dean perform this effect live at his shop in Glendale California. In fact, go see him perform ALL his effects. Just ask, he'll do it. Every Wednesday is 'magician hangout day' there. Dean is always willing to perform magic for you when you stop by. He's even made some of my hair disappear on one occasion! No fooling! (to quote Toby Travis).
MagicMattMan
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
741 Posts

Profile of MagicMattMan
Thanks Joe!
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not, none will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."Hebrews 13:2
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Will this trick be available at the FCM Convention in July? Or am I better to order it to come via air-mail?
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I thought this was a Duane Laflin effect. At least I bought one from him several years ago at a lecture. I threw the instructions away as I just wanted the sponge cross for a vampire sponge ball routine I was developing. So perhaps it was a Dean Dill effect that he was just carrying at the time. Or is Duane's a different effect?
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Payne,

They still sell their trick on the Lock Family website at http://www.lockfamilymagic.com/public/Se......rm=cross

"Sponge Cross and Cubes $6.00
Includes one 6" Cross and four cubes. Can be used in "close-up" or "walk around" situations. It also will be effective from a small platform. Routine by Duane Laflin included. "

So that's $9 cheaper.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Hey Joe, can he make hair reappear?(chuckle) Smile
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Quote:
On 2008-05-23 01:00, Payne wrote:
I thought this was a Duane Laflin effect.

I was under the same impression. Perhaps the routine is Laflin's? I don't know.

RevJohn
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
I believe the routine only(Gospel routine) is Laflin's
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I've never met Dean and a lot of my hair has vanished...he must be good.
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
597 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
The props of the two tricks are pretty much the same, however it is the routines that are different.

Dean Dill’s routine is worked like the multiplying balls, a sponge is pulled from the air and displayed in your other hand. The effect is repeated until you have 4 sponges and you then visibly transform the four small sponges into the larger cross.

Duane Laflin’s routine is more of a straight sponge ball routine in which three loose balls transforms into a single cross in the spectators hand.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Thanks for that info Ron.

Which one would you buy?
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Just from the description, and from what I know about Duane's routine (have not read Dean's), and would say go the Dean Dill route.

While I like Duane's thinking, the effect is less than magical. At least that is what I have found. And from the description alone, Dean's seems to be containing the missing element.

RevJohn
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
597 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Quote:
On 2008-06-03 21:49, themagiciansapprentice wrote:
Thanks for that info Ron.

Which one would you buy?

I own Dean's
brownsentertainment
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of brownsentertainment
Not sure which one I would want.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » The Cross by Dean Dill (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL