The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » How do you explain ventriloquism? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I still get the calls where the first thing out of their mouth is How Much, but a close second is What do you do?

When I say I am a ventriloquist, or that I do ventriloquism, it is amazing how many times I get _what is that?

If I mention puppets, they say Oh, it's a puppet show.

It is very frustrating and I haven't come up with a concise description yet.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Neale, it's funny but one prospective client of mine also asked me that question... What is ventriloquism?

When I asked her if she had a chance to watch in youtube the videos of Jeff Dunham and Achmed ("I kill you!"), she said yes and she absolutely loved it!

I told her that's ventriloquism.

I was booked right on the spot!

We're on the other side of the planet, but Jeff has quite a following here, too!

So, Neale... wanna try the "Jeff Dunham" definition?
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Good question Neale! I haven't had heard that yet. Perhaps its because the markets I work are already familiar with vent. Maybe its the way I promote or, as Ony pointed out, its simply due to the popularity of Jeff & Terry Fator.

Be interesting to hear what others have to say.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I don't want to use another vent (any other vent - not just Jeff) to explain what I do. Don't want to set myself up for comparisons.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
IMO, in the advent of youtube and vent DVDs we cant help but be compared, directly or indirectly, to other vents--especially to current well-known vents like Dunham, Lucas, Strassman, Johnson, etc....

That's why we have to strengthen our acts and show our own unique personality in our performances.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Folks in our neck of the woods to the most part know what vent is.

Depending on the age they know of Senor Wences..to Peanut..(sometimes they know the figure rather than the vent. Depending on your ability..I am sure (like me) you have been told that your as good, or better than those on T.V.

Myself sometimes I get asked why my puppet sings better than I do? Anyone else?
For about a year now, I have been working with 2 puppets at the same time. It boggles me how some folks do 3 or 4 in the same bit.

Still waiting on the vent mask(Knowles...) but it hasn't been the 7-10 business days...Yesterday during a workshop I tried an old bit of having a student operate the mouth while I provided the voice...similar but the timing mishaps(of words, sounds and the mouth movement)...cause interesting and challenging humor...

One of the students gave the following explanation..(from Young Frankenstein...IT's ALIVE..with appropriate dialect)
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » How do you explain ventriloquism? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL