The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Wand Through Cup (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I have seen many magicians "Pass The Wand Through A cup" and I have never understood the purpose of this. Since I am legally deaf I cannot hear what is being said, and watching this stunt with my eyes, this stunt does not impress me at all. It is hard for me to understand what is going on when a magician does this one stunt, it does not look like a magical event, it does make me want to fall asleep every time I see it.

Sometimes it makes me wonder if this is something that should be avoided, because it might make the performer look stupid.

If the performer has a great sense of humor about this stunt, then I can understand that it would benifit the performer.

How does everyone else feel about this issue?

Thanks
Madkiki
matt kemp
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
312 Posts

Profile of matt kemp
The performer usually says something like, "And these cups are solid. Oops!" And then they pass the wand through the cup.

Earlier there was a discussion on whether or not we should do wand through cup or cup through cup in a serious manner. I think the general consensus was that wand through cup was more of a gag, especially since it has horrible angles. On the other hand, cup through cup is rather hard to figure out for laymen, especially since they are unsure if the cups are gaffed.

I used to do wand through cup, and then stopped. I usually do a cup through cup though, even if it's just at the end of the routine. Also, cup through cup can be done at the beginning of the routine and the cups appear to be empty.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I do the wand throught cup move right before going into the penetration phase that uses the Charlie Miller move. I've always thought of it as something silly, but it usually illicits gasps from the audience. Especially when I'm close enough to the audience to lean over and have one person tap the top of the cup and verify that it's solid, and then do the move. I never draw much attention to it, but I can hear them gasp.

I've never cared for the cup though cup move. I'm normally using silver engraved Sherwoods and I treat them carefully. I also feel it's way too obvious, but I know many magicians who use it in excellent routines.

It's all a matter of taste.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Right Pepster... It is a matter of the routine and how you treat it. light humorous routine fits things like this.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1636 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Madkiki,

I don't use the move in my routine. Dai Vernon used several "bits" before he got into the magical portion of the routine. If you're charming I think this stuff plays really well. I have PM'ed you on a different matter.
KG
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Just like Pepka I do it without making a big deal about it. I just do it somewhere in the opening sequence. I don't say anything and I simply pause a second or so and look perplexed myself. I found that I get more reactions this way. Its really a matter of putting accents in your routine using subtle reactions and eye contact. This can silently scream sometimes. Regarding the cup through cup.... same thing. I simply put one cup over the other...let it pass through....do it again with the next cup and silently react a bit by using subtle facial reactions. I do have quite a number of CB routines and most of them do not use a wand. I must say that I only do these bits after reading the crowd or the audience I have before me, so it really depends.

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Man, it must be my lucky day. I had both Pete and Rannie agree with me! I heard the cat's out of the bag that The Manilla Enforcer will be joining us in Vegas next year! I can't wait.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Can't wait for that Pepka! Talk about being lucky! Boy am I lucky indeed!

Rannie

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
You should bring your axe too Rannie. I was talking to Mike Close about putting together a little jam band to play at the opening party. Mike on Piano, me on bone, Rich Bloch plays trumpet. He says they did it at a convention in DC years ago. I think it would be a blast.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
I'll play the drums! We need a bass player and we're set to fly!

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
I always start my routine with wand through cup and cup through cup, if I look like stupid it is ok, if they can figure out any of those gags they will give you a big smile, meanwhile you are getting ready for the real stuff and the big surprise.
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
How long does it take to learn to play the bass?
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Quote:
On 2008-05-13 12:23, Pete Biro wrote:
How long does it take to learn to play the bass?

About as long as it takes to learn how to be a magician.
jgoldsney
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of jgoldsney
Re: wand through cup

I think the best use of this slight I have ever seen was by Tod Various
see the link below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OBh80Dqg6E
-----------------------

There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand Binary and those who don't Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Glenn: You mean I buy a bass with instructions and can put it into tonight's show?
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1347 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Quote:
On 2008-05-13 13:39, Pete Biro wrote:
Glenn: You mean I buy a bass with instructions and can put it into tonight's show?

Now that's funny. (true)
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Pete, Mike has a joke in his book under that exact same premise.

An 8 year old boy brings an upright bass home from school one afternoon and tells his father that he's in the school orchestra. "Today we learned all about the A string and different positions for that string." Dad replied, that's very good son. The second day, he brings it home again and dad says, "What did you learn today?" "Oh, we learned all about the E string and what you can play on that." Sound good" dad replied. The third day he comes home with his bass and he looks exhausted. His father asks him, "What string did you learn about at practice today?" The boy looks at his father as he plops down on the couch, "I didn't go to practice today, I had a gig."
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Right... thnks for reminding. One gag Mike didn't publish that he told me a loooong time ago. (short version)

Band finishes break and bass player missing. Leader told to look out back. He finds bass player handcuffed in police car, cops standing around. Leader asks what happened. Cop says "he beat a guy up". Leader asks bass player "Why?" Answered "he loosened one of the strings." Leader say, "Why did that get you so upset?" Answered, "He wouldn't tell me which one."
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
Shorter version:

Q: Why did the bass player get mad at the timpanist?
A: He turned a peg and wouldn't tell the bass player which one.
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Kipee
View Profile
Regular user
UK
156 Posts

Profile of Kipee
Sorry to resurect this post but IMO I have never really liked this 'move' largely because when I was younger I saw a guy do the Cups and Balls and use this little flourish but he was SOOOOOO serious it just ruined it, it was almost cringe-inducing. As a bit of fun by-play its great but this was over the top.

But - I do like the 'Tardis' move (I don't know its correct name (bigger on inside than out)) - can be taylored to be serious/funny/whatever you need it to be, it shocks some and amuses others, you can't lose in my opinion. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Wand Through Cup (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL