The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sleep and it's contributions to learning... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
I recently received this from a friend, as I discussed how sometimes even though I had not practiced a certain sleight in a while, after I tried it again, I found it easier to perform.

http://www.smart-kit.com/s490/what-sleep......-skills/

It seems that sleep research shows that even after we stop thinking about a subject ( example: magic) our mind continues working on it, even as we focus on other things. And this applies to not just intellectual subjects but to practiced Motor skills ( ie. Sleights and routining). So you may practice a certain sleight for 30 minutes or so... and take a break, even if all you are doing is reading a book, or watching TV, or even sitting and reading these forums, your mind is still concentrating on the sleights you have been practicing.

During the night as you sleep, your mind is similarly thinking about what you have been practicing. So yes... practice and take frequent breaks in the day... and get a good night's sleep. that IS good advice... to learning magic as with other subjects... but at least now we know more about why Smile

Also, during our sleep,
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
It's also a good idea to keep a small notebook and pen by the bed in case you wake up in the middle of the night with an idea, you can write it down and not forget it.

Mark. Smile
thumbslinger
View Profile
Elite user
This is a good number:
458 Posts

Profile of thumbslinger
And on sleeping, try this.. a body supposedly receives the most benefit when sleeping between the hours of 9 pm to 1:00 am (CST). More so than going to sleep at 10:30/11:00 and getting up at 6:30 or later.

I've tried going to sleep around 8:30/9 with our 2 year old and then I get up around 4:00 am, one time at 3:00 am, and I'm more rested, feel better and more alert throughout the day.

Kinda neat.
Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Tommy Emmanuel are all you need to study to learn to play guitar.
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Interesting stuff. I really need to regulate my sleep better, I'm all over the place..
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Hubby and I have been reading up on this, and are going to try an experiment. Starting today, we will do some of our practice sessions right before bed, and go to sleep at 9pm.

Will mean rearranging our schedule, and changing our lifestyle a bit, We as New Yorkers are big coffee drinkers. So this basically means...no more Hazelnut Coffee or cappuccinos after 6 * sigh*.

Good reason to have DVR, tape the later shows and watch them when we wake up Smile

Anyway, after a few weeks we will see if there is a difference. Would be nice if others did the same and shared their experiences Smile
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Quote:
It's also a good idea to keep a small notebook and pen by the bed in case you wake up in the middle of the night with an idea, you can write it down and not forget it.

This is a great idea. As a writer, I've done this for years. But don't make the mistake I made. I bought a voice-activated recorder to record my ideas so I wouldn't have to turn on the light, put on my glasses, find the pen & pad, etc., to capture my magnificent ideas. Problem is, I left it on one night and accidentally captured a - shall we say, 'intimate session'? - with my wife. Thereafter the recorder was banned from the bedroom.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Lol... ummm... suggestion noted.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Back to the thread.

I've found I actually practice better after a nap/sleep rather than straight in from work or sport. And yes trying to get to bed before 9:30 seems to work, though I can't always be that disciplined. But definately my sponge work using ice-creams has got a lot better from being less tired when I'm practising.

I've also started to nap before performances/sports matches, especially if I've been up since 5:30am teaching. (Not old, just working in a very hot desert country - 42+ degrees Celsius today.) Friends in the audience have commented about how the show has improved.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
dandan_01
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of dandan_01
HMmmm... This is interesting. I did find that sometimes when I practice some new sleights, it does seem easier after a nap. It may be a good idea to schedule my practise schedule accordingly then. Smile
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Those of you interested in optimal sleep patterns, check out Polyphasic Sleep - DaVinci, Edison and others practiced this method.

http://www.supermemo.com/articles/polyphasic.htm
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sleep and it's contributions to learning... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL