The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Help needed - matchbox penetration (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

aktino
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of aktino
I have several versions of this trick (ie toothpick through brass block) and I love the concept. Two of the blocks I have are perfect and can withstand any amount of scrutiny.

However, I seem to be unable to turn this into an enjoyable piece of magic. More specifically, I have been unable to come up with a sensible story line/patter - how do you justify pushing a toothpick through a matchbox? I also find that some spectators are afraid to open the matchbox for fear that there might be something nasty inside. I have tried to address this by opening the box myself and dumping the block in the hand of the spectator but the (unexpected) weight of the block makes some spectators jump. Lastly, I'm not sure how to hide the noise.

Thoughts and suggestions most welcome!
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
543 Posts

Profile of Carducci
I used to perform this trick at my first resturaunt job when I was about 17 or 18, but broke it (long story) and never got around to replacing it. It was years and years ago but this was, more or less, my presentation.

For me, it was a middle piece. I would finish a strong opener with the line "it's a mystery..." which would lead right into “…actually, would you like to see an even bigger mystery?” They respond “this is such a mystery, even I don’t know how it works… but I have a matchbox,” I take it out and I hold it between my right thumb and forefinger on the short sides (where the gaff is) there Is a hole at the top and you can push this ______ right through it, try it…” They do. (I should point out that all my handling is very ‘fingertip fair’, sleeves rolled back etc) if they don’t ask, I will continue, doing the ‘move’ as I say “if you’re wondering why (focus on the matchbox, you don’t want them suspecting anything) this is such a mystery to me…” I drop it on the table and it makes a loud thud “…open it up”
they do

I would then set down the needle, toothpick or whatever I had at the time and let them play with it for a minute or so, absorbing what just happened.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I have never had a noise concern with my block. As far as the patter, I'm with you on this.
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
543 Posts

Profile of Carducci
By the way, I don't remember ever having problems with noise, maybe some WD-40 would be helpful?
GiliGili
View Profile
New user
bangalore - India
6 Posts

Profile of GiliGili
Hi , when I work close up - do use a small waist band music player keep running background music, which avoids to certain extent these kind of unwanted noises .

I also follow the same patter/procedure.
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
Which version of 'matchbox penetration' would people most recommend? To be more precise which block is most truely 'completely examinable'?.I am guessing that the issue of the quality of the block may be crucial in this type of effect.
J.Buddy
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of J.Buddy
Pushing a tooth pick through the matchbox is sort of strange, but if you play upon a few senses you can make this make sense. First push it through, no big deal, but then shake the matchbox, no sound. Next have person hold out their hand and let the box sit in their hand with tootpick still penetrated, a heavy weight. Building the interest as to why no noise, and heavy weight, leading into the reveal of the block.
An idea.
J.B.
Rediscovering the magician inside.
FADE
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles,CA
135 Posts

Profile of FADE
Here's one...

I ask the spec if they're familiar with the illusion where the lady (assistant) lays in the box and the magi penetrates the box with a sword while the assistant is inside - when the sword is removed and the assistant rises out of the box unharmed, alive and in one piece - whew! "Because I do a lot of close-up magic and can't afford a lovely, beautiful assistant I'll demonstrate this feat of mystery with a simple matchbox and a toothpick." This usaully gets laughs but leaves them fooled every time.

Just my thoughts...

Cheers,

David
"Change the way you see things and the things you see will change."
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
David that is a lovely idea and if combined with J.B's idea of using the senses would make for a really strong presentation.I am thinking of purchasing this effect if I could be sure in my mind that the block really would pass close examination.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Andy:

I have one, and pass out the block everytime. I've never been "caught" yet.

Jim
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
Thanks Jim for that.I am probably being a bit paranoid.I have been looking at a few reviews of the product from back in 2006.Some magicians felt then that by looking at the corners and with the eye naturally following on to the side that the block was NOT perfectly examinable. I would add that I have never seen the block myself.I note that aktino states that "Two of the blocks I have are perfect and can withstand any amount of scrutiny." Perhaps the quality varies a little from block to block?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I perform the version using the steel plate, instead of a block. From the time I starting attending the Magic Get-Togethers in Colon, Michigan, I was watching Karl Norman perform it. In the hands of a master, it kills!
carlosbosco
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of carlosbosco
I wrap mine in paper and do it I don't do it the matchbox because its a lot easier to "hide the gimmick"...and because they see the same it doesn't really frighten them. The only thing is that the block has tarnished and the gimmick is VERY visible. that's the only problem I have ever had with it. nice trick tho.

Thanks

Carlos
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
I believe the original from Spain and sold by Joe Stevens was the best quality.

There is an old thread on this piece (or at least there was Smile )

Julie
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
I havePM 'd you with a suggestion. I have the card box version by Bob Solari, very well made

Kotah
feifei
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
186 Posts

Profile of feifei
For those who have seen or used both the cheaper version (around $30) and the expensive version (around $80), is there a great deal of difference in the quality of the product? in terms of ease of opening, quality/invisibility of the open section, and the safety of not have a spec being able to open it?

Btw, Kotah, how different is the card box version? Do you have a link? I had a look at Solari's site, but didn't find it.
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
626 Posts

Profile of JordanB
I am unaware of the $80 version.

This is one of the first "close up" tricks I remember buying.

I know of the Magic Makers version and the version from Spain. Both sell for under or around $30. The one that I have came with a small needle to push through the match box.

I recommend staying away from the Magic Maker's version. In my experiences the gaff will not stand direct scrutiny and is not nearly as well made as it should be.

As for handling, I usually just drop the block into their hand at the end and then just take it back after a second or two. I never had a story or anything. I present it as a novel little mystery.
Skotster
View Profile
Regular user
Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania
109 Posts

Profile of Skotster
While I'm not a huge fan of magic makers, I do have their gaff for this. I've had people inspect it for up to 5 minutes and no one figured out the secret. Personally I do the trick with two toothpicks going through the box.

The only issue I have with the trick is my matchboxes fall apart so fast and I have this thing where it bothers me to throw out all the perfectly good matches.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Help needed - matchbox penetration (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL