The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Defective hat tears (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I thought I had one bad on in this batch,but I opened a couple more to be sure and they are all like this. I have a pack of wizard hat tears that have 2 spots of glue on the inside of the hats, so that when you put your hand in to spread it out, it tears apart in two places. When I discovered it in the middle of a show, (cause that's when you tear it open of course) I did my best to not mangle the hat. Now I'm checking my supply, and I think the lot is useless.

Anyone else see this happen? I bought them over a year ago, and I doubt my retailer will refund them. How many makers are there? I have no manufacturer on the package, it was a dozen packed in the retailer's own bag.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Another good reason to learn to make your own hat tears. For info and lots of ideas, see Eleazar Goodenough's "Tear-Able Magic" e-book on my site.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Gee, thanks spellbinder. I mean, I know your posts are always a plug for your website, and this one was up in record time. I'm not saying it's not helpful, but come on man, this wasn't the question I was asking.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Yep...I think that's a record!

Mark.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
I use the panty tears: they come out as funny-looking underwear. Cheaply made, and I have to be careful when opening them or else it tears where it's not supposed to,but because I use so many, and they cost so little, I don't mind the careful handling.
If you like, you can check out my handling of poorly-made paper hat tears. I explain it all on my new eBook, available at a nominal price on my web site. Smile
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
"Another good reason to learn to make your own hat tears. For info and lots of ideas, see Eleazar Goodenough's "Tear-Able Magic" e-book on my site."

Good point Spellbinder. Please do tell us more about your suggestions for making your own hat tears, and give us a link to the page on your site, if you wouldn't mind?
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Thomas Williamson Riddle III
Chelsea, UK
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
I found that a lot of the hat tears made in India seem to have problems, so I have pretty much just stayed with Dan Tongs. They are a bit on the higher priced end , but they work. I'll have to check yours out Spellbinder, if it ends up being an easy alternative than I can pick my own colors.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2008-05-13 13:26, revlovejoy wrote:
Anyone else see this happen? How many makers are there?

Sorry. I forgot to answer your two questions. I've never seen it happen because I make my own hats and would have only myself to blame if it did. There is only one maker of my hat tears... me.

Those answers don't make any sense unless I refer you to my site and Eleazar's book. I taught him everything I know about making paper hats, and now he's teaching me a thing or two about how to use them.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
Thanks for this great information, Spellbinder. Making your own props is a great way to go. This way you never have anyone else to blame if things don't work out!
If any newcomers to The Little Darlings are unfamiliar with Spellbinder's website it is:

http://www.magicnook.com/
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Thomas Williamson Riddle III
Chelsea, UK
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Why, thank you Tom Riddle! I have an aversion to posting direct links to my site because I am only interested in reaching customers who can read and figure out their own way to and around my site. After all, it IS a "Do-It-Yourself" magic shop and a lot of reading and direction following is involved with no DVDs getting in the way. However, your helpful posts are much appreciated.
Professor Spellbinder

Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I just bought some Santa Hat tears, the Fun time Indian ones. Would have been nice but they do not use the torn pieces as the pom pom. Disappointed and really ticked that they glue the packet to the side of the hat when opened and one would have to rip them off.
Sad to say this major dealer only carries these.

So it would see we need to not support this brand and maybe the jobbers will start laying off this low quality Indian stuff that has flooded the market.

What ever happened to BUMPER?
LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
443 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
I've also run into the problem of the too-glued wizard hat tears, so I've become very careful opening them.

I'd like to make my own hat tears, but I don't know a good source for the paper. Since I usually do a wizard-theme show, I'm looking for a wizardy paper design. Anyone have any suggestions?

Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great!
Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The whole idea of the hat tear is that you take plain color sheets of tissue paper (like blue and yellow), tear them up, and the hat is produced out of those two colors, including any designs. You can see this in the photo of Eleazar (author of "Tear-Able Magic") with his two tone Wizard Hat made from scratch.

http://www.magicnook.com/papermagic/tearablecontents.htm

then scroll down to #2.

So you don't really need special Wizard design tissue paper, which, as you have no doubt discovered, is difficult to find. Eleazar's hat is blue with the stars and moons in yellow. He could also have made the brim of the hat in yellow, as you see in item #3, the Clown Hat Tear, which describes how to make the same pointed hat from three different colors of tissue paper.
Professor Spellbinder

Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I have had the problem and it drove me nuts!!!!!

I do not have time to make them myself, if I did Spellbinder's method is Danny (Idiot) proof!

I contacted Dan Tong directly and just bought a gross of them. Dan's hat tears are THE BEST in the business if you buy in bulk they cost the same as the cheaper ones. Best decision I ever made as I use the hat tear in every type of show I do, even corporate walk around.

You can get the info here:

http://www.magicbypauline.com/

Tell Dan I sent ya'. Smile

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
rrath1
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of rrath1
Open questions to spellbinder and the whole group. Magic nook requires you to prove you are a magician before he will ship his items that have been paid for in advance. Upon responding he doesn't accept your proof, such as a member in good stand with the Society of American Magicians. He doesn't ship and keeps your monies! What am I missing here. How do you prove you are magician over the internet?
Smile
Wizard AKA The Amazing Bob Rath
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The Magic Nook is specifically a site for: "Do-It-Yourself" Magic for "Built-It-Myself" Magicians" as we state on our front page. We ONLY sell to VERIFIED magicians, and if you order something for the first time and we have no record or knowledge of who you are and whether or not you are a magician, we ask you to verify that.
Spellbinder of The Magic Nook does not accept as "proof that you are a magician" statements like "I am a member in good standing with the SAM." Nor does he accept "I verify that I am a magician." Would you? We have thousands of customers world-wide who had no difficulty proving that they are magicians over the internet without making such foolish statements. Furthermore, the moment he decides that you are NOT able to verify that you are a magician, he cancels any order you have made and immediately sends you a refund of any money you sent. What Bob Rath is missing is "telling the truth".

We don't have the time to teach non-magicians how to verify themselves as magicians. It's something every magician learns on the way to becoming one. Every time a magician performs, he has to verify that he is a magician to his audience. If you don't know how to do that, you are not yet a magician.

Here are some things we are not interested in because they do not verify that you are a magician:

No, I don't care how many years you claim to have been "in magic" because you have no way to prove that and I have no interest in it. I have seen Wiz Kids who developed into verified magicians after a few months, so "years spent" has no meaning for me. It's how you spend the time you have that makes you a magician or not.

No, I don't care how many magic books you have in your "library" because I am not coming to your house to count them, and I don't know if you read any of them and understand them all. Not everyone learns from books, and that includes magicians.

No, I don't want to see your "business card." You don't need a business card to be a magician. If that was all it took, everyone in the world could claim to be anything without proof.

No, I don't care if you're an amateur or a "professional". A magician is a magician; whether he makes money from it or not is between him and the IRS.

No, I do not care that you claim to be a member of a magic club and I do not have time or energy or the will to track down your claims of membership to see if they are true. The same applies to magicians you claim to know, or whom you may have met, or who may "vouch" for you. If you can't vouch for yourself, you are not a magician.

No, I don't care where you say you have performed in the past. I have no way to verify that and although you may have proof of those claims, you did not bother to send any proof, just the claims.

If you feel that you are being insulted by being asked to verify that you are a magician, we will happily refund your money back to PayPal and try our best to get along without you as a customer. And that's the truth.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I use these in every show. Dan Tong's are the only ones that are headache free
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I've been using Cecil Lyle's tissue to paper hat, since forever. At first (50-60 years ago, I used the "factory made" hats. I didn't like the paper colors (especially the BLACK, "GIMMICKED" PAPER, so, I would buy the tissue in colors appropriate.

At a magician's estate sale, I found an ALUMINUM "DERBY" HAT. In the big band era of my youth, trumpet players would use a "hat" to change the sounds. It was great as a "mold" to shape the hat.

I bought bright colored tissue at stores that sold gifts.

Then "dollar stores" began to "happen". That was cheaper. For a dollar you could get 30-40 sheets, in a profusion of colors. I would stock up enough for the fall season, before I hit the road. At Christmas,, I would re-stock. THEN, I learned that the dollar stores would "dump" their seasonal stock, after the Holidays! (HALF PRICE!!!) I would buy enough for the entire year, in early January!

I remember writing an article for Gene Gordon's column in TOPS, about the Lyle Hat Trick. It's one of the most practical tricks! The props fit in your pocket! It can be done surrounded! With bits of business, you can easily get five minutes with it! There is no set up time, backstage! It weighs "nothing"! AND, it is a "gift" for your little girl assistant!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Ha - Jim Gerrish: That is possibly the dumbest post I've ever read.
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:
The Magic Nook is specifically a site for: "Do-It-Yourself" Magic for "Built-It-Myself" Magicians" as we state on our front page. We ONLY sell to VERIFIED magicians, and if you order something for the first time and we have no record or knowledge of who you are and whether or not you are a magician, we ask you to verify that.
Spellbinder of The Magic Nook does not accept as "proof that you are a magician" statements like "I am a member in good standing with the SAM." Nor does he accept "I verify that I am a magician." Would you? We have thousands of customers world-wide who had no difficulty proving that they are magicians over the internet without making such foolish statements. Furthermore, the moment he decides that you are NOT able to verify that you are a magician, he cancels any order you have made and immediately sends you a refund of any money you sent. What Bob Rath is missing is "telling the truth".

We don't have the time to teach non-magicians how to verify themselves as magicians. It's something every magician learns on the way to becoming one. Every time a magician performs, he has to verify that he is a magician to his audience. If you don't know how to do that, you are not yet a magician.

Here are some things we are not interested in because they do not verify that you are a magician:

No, I don't care how many years you claim to have been "in magic" because you have no way to prove that and I have no interest in it. I have seen Wiz Kids who developed into verified magicians after a few months, so "years spent" has no meaning for me. It's how you spend the time you have that makes you a magician or not.

No, I don't care how many magic books you have in your "library" because I am not coming to your house to count them, and I don't know if you read any of them and understand them all. Not everyone learns from books, and that includes magicians.

No, I don't want to see your "business card." You don't need a business card to be a magician. If that was all it took, everyone in the world could claim to be anything without proof.

No, I don't care if you're an amateur or a "professional". A magician is a magician; whether he makes money from it or not is between him and the IRS.

No, I do not care that you claim to be a member of a magic club and I do not have time or energy or the will to track down your claims of membership to see if they are true. The same applies to magicians you claim to know, or whom you may have met, or who may "vouch" for you. If you can't vouch for yourself, you are not a magician.

No, I don't care where you say you have performed in the past. I have no way to verify that and although you may have proof of those claims, you did not bother to send any proof, just the claims.

If you feel that you are being insulted by being asked to verify that you are a magician, we will happily refund your money back to PayPal and try our best to get along without you as a customer. And that's the truth.

What the what? Well, remind me not to bother ordering from this guy. How in the world does he want someone to "prove" they are a magician? Sorry, but I never had lessons in "proving I'm a magician" when I was "on my way to becoming one."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Defective hat tears (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL