The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Take this with a grain of salt (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1296 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Points taken but look, God obviously has a sense of humor and desires variety but does He ever stop being Holy? Does He cast aside His qualities of righteousness (which required the death of His son because of His incomprehensible love for us) for the sake of a joke? I think balance, in all areas, is something we need to strive for continuously but we fool ourselves if we think that God is laughing along with us over certain kinds of humor. These are my opinions and I admit I have a sense of humor that I need to be careful about and I struggle sometimes with how far I allow myself to go. So please do not take my thoughts as a slam on anyone here.

Peace out,

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
To paraphrase Anne Lamott

"You can safely !@#ume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same jokes you do."
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1296 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Maybe, but you can make fairly reasonable decisions based on the attributes and the knowledge of God that we do have and He expects us to exercise such judgements. I would hope that our lives are not revolving around deciding which jokes are ok and which ones are not! LOL

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Well, to answer Gaddy, the last part about God Laughing up a storm, was intended as sarcasm.

I do not think that Our final destination for eternity, or the price that he and Christ payed for it, is a laughing matter.

Someone had mentioned if I can joke with my friends, and God is my friend why can't I joke with God?

I can see the reasoning behind this. But Imagine the following scenario. I am at an intersection with a really close pal, and as I start to cross, I do not see this HUGE semi truck bareling down on me... My friend jumps and pushes me out of the way... and .. gets run over... Loses an arm... and half a leg just to save my life.

Now do you really think this person's family would appreciate me making Gimp jokes? I think it shows a lack of respect. And a lack of appreciation for what my friend did to save my life.

It's not that we cannot joke, Just that we need to be careful what we joke about... Jesus the Magician is not funny.
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Clarissa35f,

I certainly respect your piety and respectfulness, and you're welcome to it! It probably even makes the world a better place. But the Jesus I read about hung out with hookers, and thieves, and other !@#orted scum back in the day, perhaps a little ribbing (don't tell that one to Adam...) isn't out of place.

Now what's this about children suffering the wrath of God for making bald jokes?
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-05-28 18:41, clarissa35f wrote:

It's not that we cannot joke, Just that we need to be careful what we joke about... Jesus the Magician is not funny.

So Odin, Zeus and Ra walk into a bar. . . .

nevermind
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-05-28 18:54, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-28 18:41, clarissa35f wrote:

So Odin, Zeus and Ra walk into a bar. . . .

nevermind

you'd expect that from Old One Eye, but Zeus and Ra should have seen it coming!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Take this with a grain of salt (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL