The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Trick a disabled person can perform (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

paultepper
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of paultepper
I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have with regard to magic tricks that a person who is wheelchair bound with very limited hand strength/mobility could perform. It's for a friend who enjoys watching magic but doesn't have any real experience performing.

Thanks!
astoundingbruce
View Profile
Regular user
Burlington, WI (USA)
127 Posts

Profile of astoundingbruce
There is a lot of good mentalism someone with limited hand strength/mobility could perform. The "Elephants in Denmark" bit comes to mind. A wheelchair in and of itself should not pose much of a problem.
“There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
A TT is a sure winner!
paultepper
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of paultepper
Thanks. I'm afraid a TT would require too much manual dexterity. Would Docc Hilford's E'voque or Max Maven's booklet on Equivoque be appropriate?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Here's a topic.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=41

Roth's "[ Coins Across".

"Gypsy Thread" or the variation using dental floss.

IT or ITR work.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Check out Wayne Dobson. He has several books and effects out since he became disabled.

WD40 is the name of his book.

He is a GREAT magician with many effects that are tailored for such individuals.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
Quote:
On 2008-05-14 23:51, mmreed wrote:
Check out Wayne Dobson. He has several books and effects out since he became disabled.

WD40 is the name of his book.

He is a GREAT magician with many effects that are tailored for such individuals.

He has a dvd out called 'clamped', which is the material he performs whilst in a wheelchair. It's stage/cabaret stuff, but adaptable to close up as well.
mrsmiles
(UK)
paultepper
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of paultepper
Thanks folks!
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
I remember discovering that rope tricks are sometimes taught to persons in phyiscial therapy. they often don't require much dexterity but can be a fun challenge.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
If memory serves me correctly there’s an effect titled “How to make the spectator Become the Magician” in Card Manipulations by Jean Hugard.

This effect only needs the magician to dictate the instruction to the spectator and the spectator does all the work. If you have Learned Pig Project Access you can access this for free or if you can gain access to the book even better. It’s in section 4 of the book, and is in essence an ace assembly in the spectators hands.

If memory serves me correctly there’s an effect titled “How to make the spectator Become the Magician” in Card Manipulations by Jean Hugard. This effect only needs the magician to dictate the instruction to the spectator and the spectator does all the work. If you have Learned Pig Project Access you can access this for free or if you can gain access to the book even better. It’s in section 4 of the book, and is in essence an ace assembly in the spectators hands.

Also have you considered Gemini Twins in the Karl Fulves Self-Working cards tricks book(not Bro Johns effect by the same name). All that is required is dealing, some memorisation and a simple removing of two cards.

Magically

Aus
JC Johns
View Profile
Regular user
Annapolis, MD, USA
133 Posts

Profile of JC Johns
There are plenty of self-working card tricks that take little hand strength or coordination. By using a stacked deck, memorized deck, key card, etc., he could create some great effects. Lorayne’s Close Up Card Magic has some good self-workers (Lazy Man Card Trick being one of my favorites) and while I don’t have it, I think Card College Light is supposed to have a ton.
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey: Exit 15 E
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Hi Paul,

If your friend’s finger dexterity is good enough to roll a pen between his finger tips, paddle tricks might also be a possibility. There are several disabled magicians who frequent the café, I being one of them. You have some very good suggestions already posted here. If you could be a little more specific about your friends physical limitations it would be helpful in discerning what effects would possibly work for him. Feel free to PM me with any questions if you like. I’d be happy to help in any way I can.

Welcome to the Magic Café. Smile

Dave
Lentidigitator: “A magic artist who performs slow motion magic”... Rene Lavand

"Peace and all good"... St. Francis

"Hold on to your joy!"... Me Smile

http://mysite.verizon.net/hearttau/
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I have nerve damage in my hands from diabetes, so I've had to limit myself to tricks which don't require much dexterity. I strongly recommend self-working card tricks. He won't be able to perform ALL of the tricks they label 'self-working', but he can try them and see what works for him.

I love Fulves' "Self-working Card Tricks"; in fact, his whole "Self-Working" series would be a great place for your friend to start.

"Scarne on Card Tricks" also has lots of self-working effects. Giobbi's "Card College Light" is fantastic, and gives direction on how to present the included effects.

For a mix of card tricks and other self-working effects, I'd also highly recommend Jim Steinmeyer's "Impuzzibilities" and "Further Impuzzibilities". They're slim booklets, but they're pure gold.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
JasonbytheOcean
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, D.C.
102 Posts

Profile of JasonbytheOcean
Check out the books by The Spencers or David Copperfield on The Healing of Magic and Project Magic (www.magictherapy.com or http://www.davidcopperfield.com). There are many effects in these books that are suitable for people with varying disabilities, and they include guidance on how the tricks can be used as part of the healing process. In addition, the tricks in these books were written for beginners, so they're easy to follow and understand.
paultepper
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of paultepper
Excellent! Thanks again. Paul
michaelmagicart
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of michaelmagicart
Harry Lorayne's "STOP", from his book Close Up Card Magic. Your friend doesn't have to touch the cards at all, but simply direct the actions. Once your friend masters the principle it will become a "knockout" routine for him. If you don't have the book yourself, I would highly recommend you add it to your library.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I recently fell and landed pretty hard on my right arm. I was running while kite flying and just tripped over my own feet or maybe my toe caught on something, don't know for sure. Anyway, the result was some strain in my right hand and a bruise on the palm. There was a lot of pain which really limited my mobility and dexterity in my right hand/arm.

I know it's not the same thing as someone with a disability but it did teach me a lot about what it might be like to not be able to do things. I couldn't do the paddle move without pain, and had trouble even turning my wrist over. I couldn't do much of a Ninja rings routine, and even things like sponge ball manipulation was out of the question. I felt helpless since I'm right handed. I couldn't even type without pain.

So I tried to find things that I could do until I healed up. I found that I could do some rope things, so maybe a cut and restored rope or the Professor's Nightmare might be appropriate. Things like IT and even handling cards were difficult.

Mental magic that doesn't require much in the way of props or simple handling like Max Maven's Kurosuke might also be appropriate.

Good luck.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
How about ring of truth..
being in a wheelchair shouldnt be a problem at all for you to perform magic bro!
will be fine and some excellent advice is given here!
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
What about the "Follow Me Knot?" a.k.a. "Tying a Knot in a Rope Without Letting Go of the Ends."

You can find it in the booklet entitled Rope Magic. Magic City Library of Magic, p. 13-14.

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Trick a disabled person can perform (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL