The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Isn't technology amazing? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Here's a clip of ASIMO, the robot Honda has been working on, conducting The Impossible Dream with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4Gwk4vkyapc
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I find the walking much more incredible than the conducting.
Someday our very jobs may be in jeopardy as robots can do more of the things that only humans can do now.
Robot's don't ask for raises, day's off (or any time off for that matter) and never complain about the job or management and don't make mistake's (at least as often as most people do. The perfect employee.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Quote:
I find the walking much more incredible than the conducting.

I agree 100%. Purely amazing. Robotics is an absolutely stunning industry and if I had chosen my path, this would have been a possible alternative. A friend went to MIT and works in robotics (specializing on mini robots like insects) and I'm always in awe.

Quote:
Someday our very jobs may be in jeopardy as robots can do more of the things that only humans can do now.
Robot's don't ask for raises, day's off (or any time off for that matter) and never complain about the job or management and don't make mistake's (at least as often as most people do. The perfect employee.
Iven Smile

I'm going to have to politely disagree with you on this. Iven, I completely agree with many of your points... you are spot on. But I don't see job losses. I've actually seen evidence supporting job creation. Please accept my apology if you were being a bit sarcastic!

Here are a few examples (source):

Quote:
The internal combustion engine, while creating thousands of new jobs in the nascent automobile industry at the beginning of the twentieth century, wreaked havoc on the carriage-making industry: between 1909 and 1919, carriage-making employment fell from 70,000 to 26,000. Employment in the new automobile industry, however, soared from 85,000 to 394,000, far outstripping the job losses in the displaced carriage industry.

Quote:
Employment in the telegraph industry peaked at 87,000 workers in 1929 and then declined to a mere 24,000 workers by 1970. Did those jobs just disappear? Glance over to the telephone industry, which by 1970 had created 536,000 new jobs.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
What! Me Sarcastic? Never Smile
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I do find the whole thing amazing. Walking, definitely. The robot recognized that the orchestra was a group of people and responded by waving. Equally, if they waved first, he would've recognized the gesture and waved back. Lots of interesting, and frightening, robots on YouTube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WbFFs4DHWys&feature=related
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Isn't technology amazing? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL