The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Technical Theater and Taking the Show on the Road (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
Hello Friends,

I have been performing magic and illusions for quite a few years now, and eventually hope to take my show on the road. I've been working on developing a solid script and characters along with my business plan, but could use some advice. While I've studied magic and business/show promotion quite a bit, I am in dire need of some solid theatrical knowledge. If there are any books you can reccomend on technical theater, stage lighting, set design, etc. that would be great. Also, I am always looking for books on script writing and character development. Thanks so much for your help. I am

Your Friend in Magic,

Beau Alexander
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
Beau,
Wanna go out on the road with me ? I just gave a lecture at the World Magic Seminar on Show flow and production. Experience is the BEST teacher. Depending on where you live, there are usually summer theater programs that addrerss this topic.
Check the local community calander
Feel free to email me with any questions.
Steven
Steven Kline
<BR><BR>www.stevenkline.com
<BR><BR>www.stevenklineproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
There are lots of books on tech theater, set design, lighting, and so forth, but unfortunately the majority of them will turn you into a techie, not into a theater artist. I'm with Steven: find another guy who's toured a magic show successfully and pick his brains, and learn all you can, and then start planning your own tour.

I've written about a lot of the issues involved in doing an illusion show in my column here in the Café (the Buffet section). You may want to look through there first for general ideas and issues. And you can't beat the price. Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Steven and George,

Thank you very much for your kind assistance. Unfortunately, I am extremely busy, and do not have the time to tour with anyone this summer. George, I never knew about your column in the buffet section. I just looked at it, and I can tell you I will be reading all of you threads. When I develop some more focused questions I will pass them on to you guys. Thanks again.

Best,

Beau Alexander
-Beau Alexander
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Beau,
You silly goose. Why don't you talk to me more?

I would take Steve up on his offer/ Even for a partial tour or some spots dates. Nothing can teach you like being there and doing it.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Richard,

You're one of the most knowledgeable people I know. I will definately be calling you a lot more once I get my stuff together. Have any reading material that I might learn something from?

-Beau
-Beau Alexander
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
If you go the see Richard - don't forget the cocktail weenies ! Smile
Richard - how are you ?
Steven Kline
<BR><BR>www.stevenkline.com
<BR><BR>www.stevenklineproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of adam christopher
Steve, Still looking for staff for the 2009 season? Wrapping up this USO tour I'm ACM on in November, shoot me a line!

Adam
adamchristophermagic@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Technical Theater and Taking the Show on the Road (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL