The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Card Manipulation for Kids (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Many of you use a rabbit production as your closing trick. I do not use livestock in my show, but I'd still like to close with something short and magical. I was thinking about a 5 card vanish and recovery( it only takes around 45 seconds to do it). Has anyone tried this? At what age would the children appreciate it (or not)?

Thanks,
Harv
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Are you talking about Thurston's five card routine? If so, I don't see anything wrong with doing it for kids. It is short and very magical. I have done the routine several times for kids and it always get a good response. Just watch your angles.
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
If you have good angles, then any sort of production would be great. I would try to finish with something big though. Maybe do a series of card productions (not sure of your method, but I am assuming standard manipulation), then produce a silk and then a silk fountain, a jumbo card fan, etc.

I use billiard balls in my kids show and the kids love them. It's a chance to show that you are 'really magic!"
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
hockey
View Profile
Regular user
canada
107 Posts

Profile of hockey
Yeah, disappearing and re-appearing is always good for little kids. It might go over better than producing a rabbit because they are already used to it.
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
I guess I'll never know until I try it! Thanks.

Cheers,
Harv
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
I say the Thurston routine would be great. Once again, watch your angles. Kids are very curious and when they want to see where something went sometimes they'll run forward to check. For that reason I would do this more for school shows than for birthday party shows.

A friend of mine decided to do card productions and as soon as he started to drop the cards the kids went mad and raced forward to grab some. Doesn't happen with the Thurston routine, I know, just something to think about.

Anyway, all the best.

Billy James
Magicman13
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Magicman13
It depends. If you want your show to be performed under any condition, then you might have a problem. I first started out doing a short card manipulation act in my kids shows but more often than not I ran into angle problems or bad performing conditions.

Cheers. Smile

Leon
"Leave your own Legacy." *Mickey Mantle

"Be Natural." *The Professor
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
508 Posts

Profile of spatrick
Just my two cents! Which is worth only about a Penny on the European market!

I would do a short card manipulation routine, don't drop any cards to the floor, and use Yu-Gi-Oh! cards instead of playing cards if you are playing to an audience of 5-10 year olds.

Over ten, you can use regular cards.

S. Patrick
Smile
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Leon brings up a good point. Angles are a problem in a lot of kids' shows, sometimes the kids are sat on the floor only 3-4 ft. away from you and they go right out to either side, so you have to watch both side angles and the from below angle as well.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
I've developed a card routine that is angle proof just for my kids shows. They love it, and they can burn my hands and not see anything.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Card Manipulation for Kids (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL