The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Hotrods (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
krowboom
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago area
417 Posts

Profile of krowboom
I'm looking at the T-6 Aluminum Hotrod versus the Magical Hotrod in Brass which is more money. They both seem to do the same effects. Anyone have any experiences with the T-6? Is it worth it to get the Brass Hotrod or does it make any difference? Thanks.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I never liked Hot rods. I love the paddles because I just think they are more Magical and seem less prone to being gimmicked in the mind of the audience but this is just my personal take on what is obviously a very very popular effect with Magician's.
With that said, I think it is a matter of personal preference as to the material your hotrods are made of. Personally if I did the hotrods I would most likely prefer the clear acrylic style.

I may get banned from the Café for making this statement but I do not like the Porper Paddles. They are too thick and look like they are gimmicked (the same reason I don't like Hotrods). I like a simple thin metal paddle which seems more and more difficult to find these days.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
of magic in Jacksonville, FL
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
There is actually a thread that has some pretty good info under "Rings, strings and things" forum. Should be on the first page of threads. Smile
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
As a dealer for 37 years I have sold about a zillion Hot Rods. My advice? Buy the least expensive plastic hot rods you can find. About $10 or so should do it. Why? Because, the material that they are made of makes NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever! It just doesn't. And.....you.....will.....lose.....them. Buy cheap and get a couple of back ups.

Best,
Brad Burt
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
My local shop had the acrylic ones for $5 (without instructions) or $8 (with). I picked one up but need to work on "paddling" a little better. Pretty neat if you ask me.
michaelmagicart
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of michaelmagicart
I mentioned this in another post. I do not like the standard "up and down" hot rod turnover move. I think if you will hold rod flat on your face up palm and just turn your hand face down, as you make the "move" you will see a tremendous difference and it doesn't look like you are "swatting at it invisible flies" like the normal move does. The move take 1 second to complete and is "natural looking" and there is less chance of "flash".
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2008-05-17 19:23, whitjm5 wrote:
My local shop had the acrylic ones for $5 (without instructions) or $8 (with). I picked one up but need to work on "paddling" a little better. Pretty neat if you ask me.

Heck, for five bucks I'd pick up a Hotrod myself just to say that I bought something Magical at such a low price.
I wonder how many people (secret seeker's) buy just the instructions.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
Quote:
On 2008-05-17 19:54, Michaelmagicart wrote:
I mentioned this in another post. I do not like the standard "up and down" hot rod turnover move. I think if you will hold rod flat on your face up palm and just turn your hand face down, as you make the "move" you will see a tremendous difference and it doesn't look like you are "swatting at it invisible flies" like the normal move does. The move take 1 second to complete and is "natural looking" and there is less chance of "flash".

Do you mean like the video below???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEB9YyK6CtY

Because that looks sharp. Smile
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
508 Posts

Profile of Bendy
There is no difference in method or gimmick between the T-6 Hot Rod and the brass Hot Rods. The brass ones are heavier. The T-6 is absolutely the lightest weight Hot Rod I have. It's also pretty tough. However, it isn't examinable. If it's important to you to hand out the Hot Rod following the trick, then you might want to pass. I'd guess that more than half will discover the gimmick that allows for more than one change, (thought they may not know or figure out the move that acomplished the illusion).

The brass one, while being heavier, also has another drawback. Tarnishing. Brass tricks tarnish so fast. You may spend more time cleaning the brass one than performing with it, (and if you aren't careful when cleaning it, you may clean the colored dots away along with the tarnish)! The bonus on the brass one is that brass can be precision-made, (think about brass fittings for hydraulic machinery); which allows for inspection following the trick with little chance of the gimmick being identified.

So...here are the big pros & cons, (in my opinion - what may be a 'pro' for me, understandably could be a 'con' for someone else and vice-versa):

T-6:
Pros: Super lightweight, which makes it a breeze to perform "the move." Durable, despite the light weight. No tarnishing.
Cons: Cannot be examined before, during or after the performance. While you can hand it out after, the chance of the "gimmick" being identified is great.

Brass:
Pros: Precision-made, making it examinable. Durable.
Cons: Tarnishing & the need to constantly clean this item is a HUGE "con" for me. Weight, (while it is not difficult to do because of the weight, it may be more easily dropped by those new to performing the Hot Rod or may provide additional, unwanted weight in the pockets of those magi who probably already have their pockets stuffed). Some may list the weight as a "pro."

Hope that helps. I like both, actually. You can't beat the quality and workmanship of the brass one; but I use the T-6 far more often and the examining thing is rarely - if ever - an issue for me as I quickly transition into other illusions.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1361 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I like the black plastic hot rods personally.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
I like the '71 Mustang Mach 1s. Uh, sorry. Wrong Hot Rod!

I had to do it.

:punkrocker:
michaelmagicart
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-05-17 23:47, whitjm5 wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-17 19:54, Michaelmagicart wrote:

Do you mean like the video below???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEB9YyK6CtY

Because that looks sharp. Smile

The video is "similar", however, the position of the right hand is angled to far to the right and the thumb should be at the "center" of the rod. The turn is done to fast and appears a little "jerky". The move should be one fluid motion as you turn the right hand over. Further there is no reason to tranfer the rod to the left hand after making the move. Once the "selection" is made by the spectator the left forfinger simply reaches from above over to the right tip end of the rod and turns the right end around to left left as the right thumb pushes the rod over making the turnover move.
michaelmagicart
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Part 2 Hot Rod continued.

The rod should remain in your right hand. Once the "selection" is made by the spectator the left forefinger simply reaches from above, over to the right tip end of the rod, and pulls the right end around to left as the right thumb pushes the rod over making the turnover move. I have to stress that the motions should be “fluid”, not jerky. If you practice this in front of a mirror I believe you will find that you can fool yourself. This is the basic handling for the turnover of the hot rod. I would also say that practice doesn’t mean 2 or 3 times. Once you have done this correctly, perhaps a thousand times, “then it will become automatic. This is one on the reason that many of the “exposure” videos are useless, simply because they do not really teach you anything but simply expose a principle. Practice, practice, practice! If I can be of any further help, let me know.
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
Michael, do you have the means to make and upload a video? I'd love to see it so I can match up your great description to something visually. Thx! Smile
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Hi Guys

I've never owned a Hot Rod, but just thought I'd add this. I'm reading "Scripting Magic" by Pete McCabe. Apart from the fact that I think everyone should read this book anyway, there are some ideas on scripting for the Hot Rod in there, that take away the need for the spec to make a "selection". If you pick up this book, you won't regret it.
Scott
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
michaelmagicart
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-05-20 11:51, whitjm5 wrote:
Michael, do you have the means to make and upload a video? I'd love to see it so I can match up your great description to something visually. Thx! Smile

Whitjm5: Unfortunately I do not have a video. Maybe in the future, however at this point in time the only thing I can say is to practice in front of a mirror so you can see the move as the spectator sees it. Another thing I would suggest is if you can find a "switch rod". One that matches yours, only it has the same (6) color rhinestones on both sides, buy it. Some dealers sell them with their hot rods. The switch at the end can be done casually, by simply, momentarily placing the gaffed rod into your shirt or jacket pocket, then as an afterthought, pull out the switch rod and hand it to the spectator with a nonchalant statement; "oh, sorry, here you might like to see the rod. In the web video, I did not like the finish because you leave the actual real hot rod in the spectators' hand. This gives an astute spectator the chance to puzzle out the modus operandi of the rod, especially children. They are the most difficult to fool. Adults are easy, as most adult’s think along thoughts like "the heat of your hand changes the colors". Or, “the rod has a computer chip in it”. It is amazing how adults think this effect works.
michaelmagicart
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Addendum to the prior post. Whitjm5; you might enjoy reading the information on this website: http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/art_rdmerrill.htm

Also this website describes Merrill's color changing knife book. http://magicref.tripod.com/booksjr/merrillknife.htm

Lee Jacobs and his wife Ramona were very good friends of mine. Unfortunately Lee passed away in 2003. However check his website as Ramona may still be running the business and you might be able to get a copy of Merrill's Book there.

http://www.dragonskull.co.uk/lee_jacobs.htm
JasonbytheOcean
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, D.C.
101 Posts

Profile of JasonbytheOcean
I prefer "clear" Hot Rods to others because to my view it eliminates, if subconsciously, the perception that the device is gimmicked in some way. Hot Rods aren't like cards, so because they look like a special prop people might think that they must, therefore, be rigged in some way. Having them clear eliminates even the glimmer of an idea that the crystals are somehow changing under cover.
GamingNinja
View Profile
New user
Hayward, CA
35 Posts

Profile of GamingNinja
I had a black wooden one with jewels glued on it. I say HAD because I lost it. Gotta buy a new one, and I was gonna buy the brass one, but now I'm thinkgin I have to practice the 'move' more and just get the cheap $5 one.
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
508 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2008-05-21 16:56, GamingNinja wrote:
I had a black wooden one with jewels glued on it. I say HAD because I lost it. Gotta buy a new one, and I was gonna buy the brass one, but now I'm thinkgin I have to practice the 'move' more and just get the cheap $5 one.

If you could do the move before, you will pick it back up very quickly. Then you'll want a better-quality Hot Rod. I've had many plastic ones and I don't recall ever having one where one of the jewels didn't fall out at some point. Then they never look the same. There's a reason for this: They're cheaply made. You get what you pay for. Get a good one and learn, (or re-learn), the handling with the good one. You'll be glad you did. ...And I'll be here to say, "you're welcome" when you come back to thank me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Hotrods (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL