The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Computer Went to 'Standby' Due to Battery - Won't Come Back Up (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4168 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Hello,

I ran my laptop computer's battery to the point it went to standby mode last night (I didn't have my power adapter). This afternoon I went to my office, got the powercord, brought it home and plugged it in. Nothing.

Does being down, in standby mode overnight, mean it will take a long time for the laptop will revive?

Anything I can do other than keep it plugged in and wait?

Any consequences for leaving it on standby for so long?

Thanks in advance -
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
Try plugging it in, and then remove the battery (if removable). Leave the battery out for 30 seconds or so, and then put it back in the computer. I've had that happen before, and that's what I did and it worked.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4168 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I tried it, but it did not work. Thanks for the try, though!

Any others?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3352 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-05-17 16:27, Chessmann wrote:
I tried it, but it did not work. Thanks for the try, though!

Any others?

ouch! That's what I was going to suggest too... Do you get anything? BIOS prompts or such?
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4168 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
No, it is completely dead. There is an amber light at the front edge that flashes on and off.

It is a Toshiba Satellite A15 S1271
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
We have two Toshiba Satellites, and have had the same issues. If you have pressed the Power button and it still doesn't come back "to life", hold down the Power button until the machine shuts down, then reboot. This is very aggravating, but it is the only way I have found to return from this condition.

I think you can also go into your "Power Management" settings and disable the "Suspend" mode (I think that is the name...)
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4168 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I just tried holding the "power" button down. Did 2 times, for 20 seconds each.

No response of any kind that I could see. Any other methods for getting it to continue with shutdown?

BTW, the computer screen is dark. For all appearances, the computer looks as if it is turned off.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1802 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Would seem to be too much of a coincidence, but could the adapter be bad?

Or the port where the cord plugs in might be bad (soldering became loose).

I havs an A75-S211 where the port went bad. I thought it was the adapter. They put in new motherboard because it's supposedly easier than dealing with the port.

Toshiba had a class action suit against them for certain models and mine was covered. It was out of warranty at that time but I believe they added a year from the date of the suit because of problems with my model. You might want to check on this.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4168 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Well, I took my laptop to the computer store. They took it to the back for about 5 minutes, and came back with it, powered up.

I said, "What did you do to get it to power on?!"

Reply: "We pressed the power button."

I'm glad my computer is running, but...ugh... :^)
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
This is a really strange thing but, like I said, we have experienced the issue with two different Satellite models. It only occurs when the battery is low. It doesn't seem to respond to a particular thing or series of things.

When I get home, I'll ask my 13-year-old whether she knows how to fix it. There's a better-than-average chance that she does.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Computer Went to 'Standby' Due to Battery - Won't Come Back Up (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL