The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Magic Makers Inc three shells (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2008-05-20 23:30, silverking wrote:

Phil Cass's video is ALSO based on "SuperShells" (see a pattern here?), BUT this routine is more about Phil's personality, not his skill with the shells (although he's very good). Very few folks will ever be able to do this routine the way Phil does it. Phil has stated that this routine could get you punched in the face if performed for the wrong people in the wrong place.

A lot of magi want to think they can do what Phil does........but they're wrong.

I perform Phil Cass routine on a regular basis with only a few minor changes to suit my personal tastes. It's become my signature piece.

The hardest part of the routine is the psychology of the final guess. Once you master that, the rest of the routine falls into places.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
I was referring to the verbal portion of Phil's routine as being unlikely to duplicate as opposed to the routine itself (which after all is basically the quite simple to perform SuperShells).

If you call your wife "Fred" during the routine, and insult the spec endlessly throughout, then I applaud you for pulling that off (even though it's Phil's trademark).

But I suspect you don't do that, and my original statement stands, only Phil can be Phil and perform Phil's quite legendary routine as he does on his DVD. Regardless of how many magi try to copy him, they all fail.
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
Magic Makers have changed the design of their "Gold Shells" lately.

I have handled the old ones, and they are useless, as others have said.

I handled another set recently, that looked like their "Perfect shells".
(Strangely those look very much like the Vernet Shells...)
These new "Gold Shells" actually work.
The shells in the link below looks like these new "Gold Shells".

http://www.magicmakersinc.com/magictrick......ell.html

Anyway, save your money, and buy a set from School for Scoundrels!

Bjørn
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
Antares
View Profile
New user
Newcastle
22 Posts

Profile of Antares
I did a very foolish thing when I returned to the magic scene a few years ago. I had no idea who the major players were in the shell manufacturing game and I was taken in by the shiny golden shells produced by Magic Makers. I bought them about 5 years ago and I haven't been able to use them because the pea keeps popping out no matter how the shell is moved (almost like its cheat proof!!)
I have tried using them on table, wood, close-up pad, nothing works.

Still being new to the Café, I am not sure what's appropriate but could someone help me to mill these or gaff them so that they work? It seems to be a design fault and I hate to throw them away.
Close-up Magic Cabinet Makers.
Antaresmagic.com
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Antares,

Before you get rid of or do anything to your shell, it would be best to get a shell game DVD from School for Scoundrels. Any of their DVDs will explain why the pea will not stay under the shell and how to use this to your advantage.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Antares
View Profile
New user
Newcastle
22 Posts

Profile of Antares
Thanks Tom.
But if the shells are badly designed, will the dvd change this. When I got the set they came with the Sal Piacente DVD but clearly the set he uses do not have the same fault that mine do because the pea stays in place until the moves are done to take it out.
Close-up Magic Cabinet Makers.
Antaresmagic.com
topandball
View Profile
Regular user
New England
132 Posts

Profile of topandball
You should not be able to move the shell with the pea without the pea coming out.

-B
"Gamblin' Sam from Birmingham, I learned this game in Vietnam"
R.I.P. Haynes, the ORIGINAL "Gamblin' Sam"
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
The Magic Makers shells are crap, but not for the reason you think they are.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Edit

Sorry...posted on the wrong thread.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2888 Posts

Profile of dpe666
This thread made me take out my original MM gold shells and work with them in live performance. Yes, they are a little hard to grasp between the fingers, but other than that, they work just fine. I think that most magicians don't like these shells simply because they came from the MM thieves. Smile
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2711 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2009-06-18 16:54, silverking wrote:
The Magic Makers shells are crap, but not for the reason you think they are.

Whatever reasons one thinks the M.M. shell are crap are correct. Any reason is a perfect reason to not like there shells when it comes to Magic Makers.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
I think that most magicians don't like these shells simply because they came from the MM thieves.

You're incorrect.

I have no respect for Magic Makers, but these shells aren't junk "simply" because they came from MM. They're junk because there was no knowledge behind their original design.

They were designed by people who know nothing about shell work, and it's apparent.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Silverking is correct. The magic maker shells just don't work as well as the ones from scoundrels or some other manufacturers. If you sat down with a bunch of shells you would quickly realize the magic makers ones are inferior and it all due to the way they are made.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2888 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Ok, so I have used the Vernet set, SFS Street Shells, and the MM original gold shells. I do the shell game at least 10 times a day. The only flaw I can find in the MM gold shells is that they are a bit harder to hold in between the fingers. Other than that they work just fine. Smile
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2009-07-02 09:42, dpe666 wrote:
Ok, so I have used the Vernet set, SFS Street Shells, and the MM original gold shells. I do the shell game at least 10 times a day. The only flaw I can find in the MM gold shells is that they are a bit harder to hold in between the fingers. Other than that they work just fine. Smile

Even if they quality of the shells is OK. (and that is a big IF) you fail to take into a account the ethical ramifications of doing business with people like Magic Makers.

It's a little like saying that it's ok to buy bootleg DVDs on the street because the quality is REALLY good.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2009-07-02 10:22, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-02 09:42, dpe666 wrote:

Even if they quality of the shells is OK. (and that is a big IF) you fail to take into a account the ethical ramifications of doing business with people like Magic Makers.

It's a little like saying that it's ok to buy bootleg DVDs on the street because the quality is REALLY good.
This is a quote from Pop Haydn about the shell MM sells:"Righteous indignation? Actually, the School for Scoundrels only complained about Magic Makers using our Trademarked name "The Golden Shells." When they changed the name of their product, there was no more conflict. We did not consider ourselves the inventors of metal shells, and the Magic Makers shells were of a different design. Although obviously an attempt to copy our success, there was not much that we could do, because we didn't feel that we had the first or only metal shells. They later used our Trademarked "Street Shells" name for their plastic product. We objected to that as well, although we didn't raise any objection to their plastic shells."
So SFS sell the Shagbark Shell, so where are they any diffrent than MM?
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Quote:
On 2009-07-02 11:31, Tom Bartlett wrote:

There is no other shell like the Shagbark on the market today. How is your comparison "comparable" in any way, shape, or form?
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2009-07-02 13:42, Chad wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-02 11:31, Tom Bartlett wrote:

There is no other shell like the Shagbark on the market today. How is your comparison "comparable" in any way, shape, or form?
Yes there is they are called Deacon Dan Shells. Although the Shagbarks are a bit larger and made of plastic, they still employ all the working features and shape of the Deacon Dan Shells.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Actually the Shagbarks feature the Chanin Dip, the overhanging of the twig notch, and the rounded sides that are design elements of the School for Scoundrels shells.

They are an original design by Ed Parrish, based on the Scoundrels shells. They were created completely independently, and without knowledge of the Deacon Dan shells.

They were manufactured and put out on the market by Ed Parrish, in collaboration with Joe Steven's magic company.

The School for Scoundrels passed on the opportunity to manufacture and distribute the Shagbarks, as we did not think another set of plastic shells would do well in the market.

Other than giving Ed advice, giving him the phone number of our plastics manufacturer, and letting him use our name in his marketing (for which we were given 10 sets of Shagbark shells), we have no connection to the Shagbark shells.

Tom is making accusations that are totally unwarrented, and unfair to Ed Parrish and the School for Scoundrels.

The rough surface and high sides of the Black Walnuts which he claims are original "design elements" were also features of the Andrew Pinard "La Maggiore Shells" which predate the Deacon Dan's by years.

I know that Ed had never seen or even heard of Tom's shells until long after he had sent his handcast models to me for evaluation in 2006.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Here again is a photo of the two shells in question:

Click here to view attached image.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Magic Makers Inc three shells (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL