The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » The Shape of Astonishment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
lithis
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of lithis
I tried this effect out on a few people and it floored them. I borrowed both the quarter and the foil, which really added to the effect. For those unfamiliar with the routine, here's the effect:

You cover a borrowed quarter with a small square of aluminum foil. You carefully rub the foil with your fingers to make an imprint which replicates the heads up quarter. You then drop the quarter onto a spec's hand, and she turns the quarter tails up. With a wave, the foil imprint turns tails up too!

Has anyone else tried this? If so, what reactions do you get?
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
I tried it when I first got AoA. I haven't tried it since. I can't remember why. I think that it was because the first time I tried it, some of the original imprint remained. George with an eagle wing on his head isn't that impressive. Unless that a newly issued quarter.
lithis
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of lithis
Try heavy-duty foil. Also, don't make the first imprint crystal clear. You're pattering about how hard it is to do, so it seems only natural that the imprint is somewhat hazy. Use lots of pressure for the flipping sequence (can't reveal too much) Smile and the original imprint will be gone.
tricky54
View Profile
New user
ohio
50 Posts

Profile of tricky54
I love performing this trick but sometimes the spectator doesn't really care what happened. I mean whoop de doo, the coin flipped; so what. This attitude offends me and makes it hard for me to perform cause I'm scared of their reaction Smile
TrIcKy54
Psychosis
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Psychosis
This never really "worked" for me either. This always received a "Neato" type of reaction, nothing spectacular.
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
It's all in the presentation. The finest of miracles falls flat if not presented correctly.
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
I tried this at a party. I just asked for the host to grab a piece of foil from the kitchen and borrowed the quarter. It got way better reactions than I expected. The reactions were so good I was amazed by the trick.

Andrew

Smile
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I am going to have to give this one a try. I have worked on it, but haven't risked performing it yet.

Thanks!
DreamBig
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of DreamBig
GREAT Trick! This is one of my faves.

I think it's best done in the situation that Andrew describes. Very Impromptu.

I wouldn't carry foil in my wallet to show this trick.
Zap
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Zap
It's a good impromptu trick if you happen to be around some foil. Heavy duty foil works MUCH better for this trick BTW.
montz
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of montz
I think some people might be getting less reactions with this cool effect because of their presentation.

I've found that the key to this one is to really build up the fact that it is difficult to make the imprint. Spend a good 30 secs - 1 min making the impression.

Once the dirty work is done, I also like to ask the spectator what we can do to make the coin different. If they don't answer, I apparently think (there and then) to turn the coin over.

If they suggest it, all the better.

Finally, this effect is only really strong (I find) if you borrow the props. Bringing out a precut piece of foil and a coin doesn't really cut it for me.

Just some thoughts.
markkwan
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of markkwan
Looks like I neglected this trick from my AoA series. *runs to books and looks it up*
What good is a night, when you can't break it.
JesseMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Oxnard, CA
124 Posts

Profile of JesseMagic
I liked this effect when I first got it...although I performed it and got ok reactions, it's not as impressive as the Sponge Ding Dong...just playing Smile
SINDINI
View Profile
New user
South, CA
4 Posts

Profile of SINDINI
I also only got a whoop de doo reaction, but I don't think the timing was right. I think this one would work best if someone asked you to do a trick, not you offering to do a trick.

Smile
BILL-MA-LONE! BILL-MA-LONE!
DavidSak
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of DavidSak
I think this trick would only be effective after doing a bunch of other ones and impressing the crowd this way.
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
I got great reactions with this..... After I change the shape of the foil I produce another coin out of the foil for a suprise kicker.

Lee
lithis
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of lithis
That's a great idea, Lee. It's one that I toyed with also. I rip the coin impression out of the foil and produce a coin from the foil, then I ball it up and produce a small ball bearing. It looks terrific, but I haven't tried it out on an audience yet. Any takers?
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2633 Posts

Profile of Tom G
This is a great trick, but you really have to put time and presentation into to get the reaction. Playing with it a few time and trying to perform it won't work.
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
Which AoA is this in?
Smile
"They say time is money...i say time is precious"
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1058 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I agree with Monz. you need to spend considerable time making the first impression in the foil. I remember getting some good reactions to this trick...
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » The Shape of Astonishment (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL